2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's all, gump?!?

Ghads, I hated Nader for running in 2000. And I was a long time supporter of him

I was debating whether to add the Roberts/Alito nominations to my list, but decided a war and economic chaos were enough.

Edit: Shit, I forgot about the Katrina response. And torture.

This election cycle may actually kill me. And I don't even vote in this country.

Last edited:
I was debating whether to add the Roberts/Alito nominations to my list, but decided a war and economic chaos were enough.

Edit: Shit, I forgot about the Katrina response. And torture.

This election cycle may actually kill me. And I don't even vote in this country.

Oh, those things, too?

Maybe a seditive on USA Election day? :wink:

imagine how it feels for any of us who who would be in the policymakers "crosshairs" IF "The Donald" gets elected!

OTOH .. the possible potential for him screwing up much if not all of the whole world...
It's .... terrifying!!!

Post convention bounce. Orange Donny went first. Check it in a week after Crooked Hillary has her convention.

ugh. i work in a financial office around a lot of conservatives and an unsettling number of them who had kept quiet to this point were straight-up gleeful at the news. guys i would never have imagined are thrilled at trump "taking the lead". "wait a week till after the dnc" i said, but no - all of a sudden it's completely over and donald trump is going to be president and we're all gonna be rich. in canada. somehow.

Back to several posters and D Savage's point of third-party building... or even taking over the Democratic Party by more progressives..

This is what the Republicans strategy became after the Goldwater debacle of 1964.
They started to rebuild their party from the ground floor: local, city, state elected offices .

Thom Hartman a wonderful progressive radio talk show host (who had his "lunch with Bernie" segment for years) was always (probably still is) encouraging progressives to get involved in DNC activities, or to run for low-level offices, and work their way up. To take over the the Democratic Party.

It was impressed upon me in my mid-teens to also vote in off-year elections. Nowi'm an "older voter" , i still do! I have probably voted about 90+% in off-year, local elections, I think 99% in presidential primaries, 100% in general presidential election.

Somewhat different note...

I loved Howard Dean's 50 State strategy! Didn't know Kaine (and maybe before him,too) had stopped that in a major way.
But I read something very recently through DailyKos that they were increasing the 50 State approach gain.

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm hearing this third candidate, voting my conscience crap again. Have people forgotten about 2000? Do those 100,000 Nader supporters in Florida feel better about their conscience today? I mean, the only consequences were a spectacular failure of a war and the biggest economic crisis in a generation, but sure, feel good about challenging the two-party system by all means.

The two party stranglehold on American politics is a severe problem that is only getting worse as the two sides become more dismissive of one another with the passing year. There is no legitimate option for those of us that don't want a bunch of partisan baggage to go along with our candidate.

But yeah, even I'm starting to agree that there is too much at stake in this election to throw my vote away on a third party, as much as I would like to.

Last edited:
I'm all for having more variety in candidates to vote for, too, but yeah, in order for that to happen, I think there's a lot of overhauling of the system altogether that needs to be done, stuff that goes beyond some voter simply giving their support to a third party candidate. People voting for third party candidates in this current setup might bring attention to the issue of needing more variety in candidates, and that in itself isn't bad, 'cause it is a discussion that this country should have. But that alone is not going to help change the system, and right now all it's ultimately going to do is piss off supporters of one of the two main candidates when those votes wind up favoring the other in the end.

As for partisan baggage/corruption/etc., I do think a wider variety of options would make that sort of thing much less concentrated, certainly. But politics will always be politics, and I don't think it matters whether you (general "you") vote for a Democrat or a Republican or the Green Party or whomever, there's always going to be some partisanship and corruption lurking somewhere.

Last edited:
Still saying she's more likely to win. falling.

??

I see it saying 55.6% chance for Orange Donny and 44.4% chance for You've Got Mail Hillary

Projecting 281 Electoral Ommpa Loompa votes and 256.7 Bark Sigh Bark electoral votes. (Plus 0.4 EVs for Gary "Don't call me Don" Johnson")

The two party stranglehold on American politics is a severe problem that is only getting worse as the two sides become more dismissive of one another with the passing year. There is no legitimate option for those of us that don't want a bunch of partisan baggage to go along with our candidate.

I don't disagree, but presidential elections are like the worst possible place to try to correct this problem. Volunteer or donate for a third party. Vote for third party candidates in local elections. Or for legislative elections. But vote strategically when it matters most.

People in multi-party systems face the same dilemma all the time, by the way. When Le Pen made it to the second round of the French elections some years ago, the left votes for Sarkozy overwhelmingly.

Also: always vote for the candidate with the highest likelihood of beating the fascist/racist/xenophobic/dictatorial candidate.

Last edited:
??

I see it saying 55.6% chance for Orange Donny and 44.4% chance for You've Got Mail Hillary

That's the "if the election were held today" poll, which is kind of meaningless after the RNC convention but before the DNC's.

The polls-only forecast shows Clinton 53.9% to Trump 46.1%. The polls-plus forecast shows Clinton 59.5% to Trump 40.5%

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

The Bernie people in the DNC sound like children who did not get their preferred choice of gift for Christmas.

Pretty much this. And to tie it to another thread in this conversation, feelings have overtaken facts.

While Hillary is no saint, she's no where close to the most evil, corrupt, most murderous, candidate in the history of the world.

When we replace logic and reason with feelings, then we get Donald Trump for president

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom