2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part XI - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #796
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Is there any precedent for it in America...?
It's not a precedent, but I found this interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_1872

The Liberal Republican candidate died after election day but before the electoral college voted, so almost all the electors pledged to the Liberal Republicans voted for different candidates. The three who kept their vote for the original candidate had their votes disallowed.

I assume that if Trump quit - which I do not think is plausible - the Republicans would hold an emergency second convention to choose a new candidate. Even if it happens really close to the election, it's simply a case of ensuring that their members of the electoral college act together.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #797
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
The Trump campaign is imploding right before our eyes.

I don't feel bad for the Orange one or people stupid/greedy/mean enough to have chosen to be staffers of his but I do feel very irritated that the rest of the GOP is at the very last minute trying to appear sane and reasonable. Sorry, but the reason Trump is where he is today is due to them and the feelings they have fostered and encouraged in their base, the ugliest aspects of which they used and relied on to win close elections and so on. They are the cause of complete gridlock, the 8 years of anti-Obama thinly-veiled racism, the sowing of divisions through nonsense issues (who cares who pees in the stall next to you) and the complete disconnect from facts and reality. And now we're all supposed to look at Trump in isolation as if the rest of them have no contributory negligence.

That whole party deserves to completely fall apart.

It is not healthy to have a one-party system, but the GOP needs to disband and completely start over at this point.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #798
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This is batshit insane:

Joe Scarborough Claims Trump Asked Advisor Why US Can't Use Nukes (VIDEO)

And apparently Trump himself said a similar thing in an interview earlier this year.

It's not surprising, but the Republican Presidential Candidate doesn't understand nuclear deterrence.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #799
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Are you fucking kidding me? Like, you're really trying to be a walking, talking stereotype here. What the fuck did I say that was sexist? That someone cares about all sources of their income? You can't just wildly scream "sexist!" if someone has a criticism of Hillary Clinton. I didn't say anything even remotely sexist. There isn't even an accidental way to misunderstand what I said. You're just saying it because fuck it! When you don't hear what you want, you just scream sexist!

Holy crap you're such a troll. I said nothing about how she "shouldn't be paid that much." Go read.
I did go read. you said:

I mean, not that I'm going to jump on that train because I don't really care... but look at how much she got paid..

If you were being sarcastic, or making fun of people who actually ask that question, then i apologize. If you were actually wondering why she got paid so much, then my comment stands.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #800
She's the One

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Apparently the ferret-wearing shitgibbon thought that the fire marshalls limiting the number of people in the building were working for Clinton.

Instead of doing what fire marshalls do.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #801
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Apparently the ferret-wearing shitgibbon thought that the fire marshalls limiting the number of people in the building were working for Clinton.

Instead of doing what fire marshalls do.

"ferret-wearing shitgibbon"

Old 08-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #802
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I assume that if Trump quit - which I do not think is plausible - the Republicans would hold an emergency second convention to choose a new candidate. Even if it happens really close to the election, it's simply a case of ensuring that their members of the electoral college act together.
It's not an entirely hypothetical scenario: Senior GOP Officials Exploring Options if Trump Drops Out - ABC News
Though it will still be a very difficult situation.
Quote:
First, Trump would have to voluntarily exit the race. Officials say there is no mechanism for forcing him to withdraw his nomination.

[...]

Then it would be up to the 168 members of the Republican National Committee to choose a successor, though the process is complicated.

One Republican legal expert has advised party officials that, for practical reasons, Trump would have to drop out by early September to give the party enough time to choose his replacement and get the next nominee's name on the ballot in enough states to win.
One of the more important giveaways from that article is that the new nominee has to be on the ballot in enough states to win. If Trump drops out too late his name will still be on the ballot in many states and cannot be removed. Furthermore, it will then not be possible to have a replacement be named on the ballot.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #803
New Yorker

So what do we think will happen with the SC Justice nominee, Garland?

Seeing that Clinton will most likely win in November (barring health or legal issues), do the GOP rush to nominate Garland who's a bit more moderate than who Clinton would nominate?

Or does Obama pull Garland nomination after November, telling the GOP they were right, let's let the next President decide?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #804
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I did go read. you said:

I mean, not that I'm going to jump on that train because I don't really care... but look at how much she got paid..

If you were being sarcastic, or making fun of people who actually ask that question, then i apologize. If you were actually wondering why she got paid so much, then my comment stands.

Yes. Look how much he got paid. Look how much they got paid. Look how much it got paid. Hillary Clinton is a female. The word "she" applies in this scenario.

There's nothing even remotely sexist there. I didn't *ask* a question and I wasn't being sarcastic. Let's pretend you make $150,000 a year. Of course you care about $10,000, it's not a negligible amount. I would care. Any of us would care. $200,000 isn't a negligible amount to Hillary Clinton, annually. Of course she listens to each group who pays her, in some regard.

There's nothing sexist about this at all. It has nothing to do with Clinton's gender. Nothing you quoted from me indicates I said anything like "Clinton is an overpaid woman" or some stupid shit. Yet that's how you responded to me. The only relevance Clinton had in my posts was circumstantial. She was the subject of a discussion when I was making a general point (to Dave) about how people who get paid lots of money still care about where their money comes from -- especially when you're in the Clinton cash range as a privately contracted individual.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #805
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Voices From Donald Trump’s Rallies, Uncensored

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/us...upporters.html
Old 08-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #806
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
"ferret-wearing shitgibbon"

I didn't make that up, although I wish I had.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #807
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
So what do we think will happen with the SC Justice nominee, Garland?

Seeing that Clinton will most likely win in November (barring health or legal issues), do the GOP rush to nominate Garland who's a bit more moderate than who Clinton would nominate?

Or does Obama pull Garland nomination after November, telling the GOP they were right, let's let the next President decide?
If Obama doesn't pull Garland, he's a fucking idiot. You can bet that the GOP will rush to confirm him after the election if he's still on the table...

That's why I really can't stand the stupid campaign for people to try and call their representatives and ask for Garland's confirmation...that will just give more ammo for the GOP to use after the election. Clinton is going to win, let's enjoy her pick and not some needless moderate that's only been brought forward as a political tool.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #808
She's the One

Is McConnell doing this because he genuinely thought the Republican nominee would win? Even when it became clear who the nominee was going to be? Or is he doing it because he can't stand Obama? Did he really not think that Clinton had a chance, and would appoint someone even more "liberal"?

Clearly, I haven't read up on any of this.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #809
New Yorker

I feel Obama has been so far ahead of the GOP it's not even fair.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #810
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:34 PM
They figured they would win, obviously.

It will be great when we get another ten years or so out and Republicans finally accept that the country has shifted strongly to the other side...then there won't be posturing to win Presidential elections, etc.