2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part XI - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #256
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 PM
It saddens me that just a month ago we were talking about Arizona going blue and now we have to worry about Pennsylvania going red. For Donald Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 07-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:16 PM
New poll has Trump +9 in New Hampshire

Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #258
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:16 AM
I'm not looking at any forecast until the debates. It just doesn't mean anything right now, other than it was probably silly to assume it was never going to be fairly close in the polls.

It's not like it was going to be 99% - 1% polling. Trump is the nominee for the GOP, I think if it was Bush/Rubio/Cruz, the numbers would be similar.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #259
New Yorker

I think when we will really see the true race get underway, you are going to see Bernie in NH, MI, WI, Biden in PA, Kaine in OH, MI, PA, FL, etc.. and Obama and Michelle in NC, FL, possibley PA, and maybe GA if that remains close. Pair that with debates that will finally pin down Trump on policy specifics, and I believe the shift will be to Clinton in a pretty significant way.
I of course could be wrong. World events can shape how we go as well...
Old 07-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #260
New Yorker

They asked the two Republican panelists last night how they would compare the Dems speakers for the night to the RNC speakers. They just laughed, and said, there is no comparison.

The Dem convention just beat the RNC convention for viewership. Trumps Primary game-plan, which he seems to be sticking to, is going to handicap him. To have a raft-load of trusted, well-known surrogates coming out for Clinton, it will make a difference in those centrist undecideds.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #261
New Yorker

To me the wildcard in this is if there's really been a fundamental shift away from FACTS.

The GOP have been pushing this narrative for years. Where an education pushes you away from some form of "Real America" and towards an Elitist. You don't operate from the gut anymore, you have to use fancy words or studies to back your claim up.

This is what scares me when it comes to the debates. Trump will be pushed on specifics, on actual plans, and he won't budge. He'll stick to slogans (and he's far from the only one) and insults.

It'll be interesting to see how the media spins it. For all this talk of "liberal media bias", this same liberal media has given Trump so much exposure, as well as a free pass on the shit he's spewed. The ratings matter more than questioning his remarks or qualifications.

So I can see it going any direction really. My hope is that his tantrums on stage are enough to scare anyone on the fence towards Clinton. My fear is that we'll see his bullying as some sort of "tell it like is" crusade and succeeds.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #262
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
To me the wildcard in this is if there's really been a fundamental shift away from FACTS.

The GOP have been pushing this narrative for years. Where an education pushes you away from some form of "Real America" and towards an Elitist. You don't operate from the gut anymore, you have to use fancy words or studies to back your claim up.

This is what scares me when it comes to the debates. Trump will be pushed on specifics, on actual plans, and he won't budge. He'll stick to slogans (and he's far from the only one) and insults.

It'll be interesting to see how the media spins it. For all this talk of "liberal media bias", this same liberal media has given Trump so much exposure, as well as a free pass on the shit he's spewed. The ratings matter more than questioning his remarks or qualifications.

So I can see it going any direction really. My hope is that his tantrums on stage are enough to scare anyone on the fence towards Clinton. My fear is that we'll see his bullying as some sort of "tell it like is" crusade and succeeds.
yeah, that scares me too. But, this is going to be different from Repub debates where every question is - how much do you hate ISIS? How much do you love God?
I think Clinton is ready to take on any question, left or right leaning and Trump hasn't had to deal with that type of format yet.

I am holding out hope.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
They asked the two Republican panelists last night how they would compare the Dems speakers for the night to the RNC speakers. They just laughed, and said, there is no comparison.
Well, they're right about that, just not in the way they think they are.

Quote:

Precisely. This is what concerns me the most, too. If Clinton loses, it won't be because she's not the ideal Democratic candidate, it'll be because people bought into ignorance and fear as a platform.

As for the media, unfortunately, even if and when they DO call Trump out on his lies and BS, people STILL see that as "liberal bias". Because apparently sharing facts equates to liberal bias now in some people's eyes.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #264
New Yorker

I have no doubt Clinton will be prepared. She's a fucking nerd, and a brilliant one at that. She knows policy, and she knows the in and outs of politics.

We have seen this song and dance before though, with Gore and Bush. Actually, anyone debating Bush.

I can still hear Al Gore's sighs of frustration debating that man. Instead of reasonable discussion winning in the end, it was "Fuzzy Math" and ignorance that won. Gore himself is a bit of a robot, but oh how the world would be different now had he won.

Hillary isn't the easiest person to listen to, so she will really need to do a better job of projecting her voice against the screaming of Trump.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #265
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Night one was an absolute homerun for the democrats, especially compared to the Republican Convention, which was an absolute joke.

While they certainly don't have to say ISIS every 5 minutes like some suggest (or like he GOP did), I do believe a lot of this election will hinge on how Hillary and the other speakers speak about national security and the ISIS / Al Qaeda threat, and how they balance the BLM movement vs support for law enforcement.

If they're strong on fighting terror, acknowledge the fear that exists instead of downplaying it... while also acknowledging the racial inequality that still exists in this country and need for criminal justice reform without throwing the rank and file under the bus... I think the middle breaks hard for Hillary and never looks back.

If they fuck up those issues, Trump has a chance to steal a squeaker.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

I realize that the convention is not over yet, that the debates haven't happened, that the popular surrogates haven't yet hit the road for Hillary, that Bruce hasn't started singing on the campaign trail so polls are what they are but...

IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS CLOSE. Anyone who's just casually explaining away the polls like they don't matter at all is really worrying me. The polls are not everything and they can be wildly inaccurate but they also don't mean nothing either.

It's like we're living in a twilight zone.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #267
New Yorker

My point above was this

The polls are going to be close no matter who's on the ticket. It's a two party system, with a 3rd that comes in every 4 years to make $$$ and fuck with things.

This election has proved we can nominate anyone, and they'll still poll at these current levels.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My point above was this

The polls are going to be close no matter who's on the ticket. It's a two party system, with a 3rd that comes in every 4 years to make $$$ and fuck with things.

This election has proved we can nominate anyone, and they'll still poll at these current levels.
That's true to an extent (for example I can see the polls separating and a gap growing as it gets closer to the election) but it also suggests that it's another turnout election. Which is less than a comforting thought if I'm being honest.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I think that is a bit of an over-generalization. There is stuff like this out there

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...583_story.html ("Donald Trump is a unique threat to American democracy")

and more certainly to follow.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #270
New Yorker

Didn't he ban them from covering his campaign?