2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, all great points. The one thing that haunted Romney was the Hispanic vote, and it's obviously even worse for Trump this time around.

Part of it is personal perspective as well. I actually know 3 people in the last month that flipped to Trump (from Undecided).

Hopefully his momentum is short lived. I don't think this is going to be anywhere near the landslide for Clinton as some are suggesting based on where the polling is at right now though.

I think there are a lot of women out there. Possibly center republican types, that just will not vote for Trump. Women are a little more savvy and thoughtful when it comes to things like the future of their children and grandchildren.

I am also seeing a lot of reports of large increases in Latino registration because of Trump. I never wanted to run against Trump because he's a wild card. Ted Cruz would have been much preferred.

So yes, i am very cautious, and am reserving my optimism. I try to remember that now if she is solid in Virgina, Trump has to get all 3 PA, OH, and FL (I think) to pull this off. That is not gonna be easy. I hope this time Florida saves us, instead of ruining us.

Not a bad example of structural gender bias (also, of poor design skills):

Clinton.jpg

Hillary Clinton just won a presidential nomination. These newspapers ran front-page photos of her husband. - Vox

To be fair, the pictures are from the live event that they're covering, and Hillary wasn't at the live event.

USA Today went with a picture of Hillary on the big screen, and it looks ridiculous.

In the meantime:

- Trump asks Russia to cyberattack US Government emails;
- Trump says he may recognize Crimea as part of Russia;
- Bill O'Reilly says the slaves that built the White House were "well-fed";
- Trump confuses Tim Kaine with former NJ governor Tom Kean (!!!)
- Trump won't release his taxes.
- Trump complains about AC in Virginia Hotel, threatens not to pay bill; (ok, this is silly, but it shows his general way of operating)

You can't make this stuff up.

Bear in mind, Trump now receives daily intelligence briefings from the CIA.

Last edited:
I used to think this was a joke, but I'm starting to think Trump is just in this for ego and might be fucking crazy.

In the meantime:

- Trump asks Russia to cyberattack US Government emails;
- Trump says he may recognize Crimea as part of Russia;
- Bill O'Reilly says the slaves that built the White House were "well-fed";
- Trump confuses Tim Kaine with former NJ governor Tom Kean (!!!)
- Trump won't release his taxes.
- Trump complains about AC in Virginia Hotel, threatens not to pay bill; (ok, this is silly, but it shows his general way of operating)

You can't make this stuff up.

Bear in mind, Trump now receives daily intelligence briefings from the CIA.

That press conference is insane. Like, not just amateur hour shit-show insane, but "is Donald Trump an actual psychopath?" insane.

With his openly advocating for a foreign power to conduct espionage on US citizens, I hope his new nickname becomes Treasonous Trump.

That press conference is insane. Like, not just amateur hour shit-show insane, but "is Donald Trump an actual psychopath?" insane.

With his openly advocating for a foreign power to conduct espionage on US citizens, I hope his new nickname becomes Treasonous Trump.

There was an article by Keith Olbermann discussing this very issue, that Trump is an actual psychopath.

We all knew he had an ego, but I really thought this was him playing a bit of a joke, turning into how far he can go.

But now, he's starting to become really scary.

Your questions is actually a serious one. He completely fits the diagnostic criteria for antisocial personality disorder:

DSM-IV Definition

Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of regard for the moral or legal standards in the local culture. There is a marked inability to get along with others or abide by societal rules. Individuals with this disorder are sometimes called psychopaths or sociopaths.

Diagnostic Criteria (DSM-IV)

1. Since the age of fifteen there has been a disregard for and violation of the right's of others, those right's considered normal by the local culture, as indicated by at least three of the following:
A. Repeated acts that could lead to arrest.
B. Conning for pleasure or profit, repeated lying, or the use of aliases.
C. Failure to plan ahead or being impulsive.
D. Repeated assaults on others.
E. Reckless when it comes to their or others safety.
F. Poor work behavior or failure to honor financial obligations.
G. Rationalizing the pain they inflict on others.

2. At least eighteen years in age.

3. Evidence of a Conduct Disorder, with its onset before the age of fifteen.

4. Symptoms not due to another mental disorder.

I count at least 4 of the 7 factors (only 3 are needed). Given existing accusations by his wife, D could be in play too.

The press conference was great for Canada. He wants to kill NAFTA unless he can get better terms. Hello, you already hosed us. Maybe we can get our energy sovereignty back now.

What's both sad and frustrating is that if anyone else made the comments Trump made today, they'd be shunned. It's just another day for Trump. Will he even lose any ground after this?

No he won't because his voters don't care. I don't understand why people are still fighting the tide here.

Many months ago, back when we all thought that he was nothing but an orange orangutan on a self-promotion tour, I heard a pundit say something very simple but that turned out to be very true (I even laughed at it at the time). That the other GOP candidates were trying to bring him down for lack of policy or knowledge - I'd dispute this but I suppose maybe it's true of Jeb - and that the Democrats were obsessing over the same but that this election was not going to be about policies or what you know. Because a large number, maybe even a majority of the voters did not care about those "things". Well there you have it.

Anecdotally I would say that there are no people that I've come across that agree with what Trump says 100% of the time. BUT, people supporting him latch on to one or two things that he has said that make sense to them and it's good enough. The rest isn't their concern.

What's both sad and frustrating is that if anyone else made the comments Trump made today, they'd be shunned. It's just another day for Trump. Will he even lose any ground after this?

Not a chance, instead what you're going to see are his followers, who normally or claim to be patriotic actually root for this to happen.

This is where the media needs to step up and put pressure on him and his campaign. Instead, they'll love it all because it'll bring clicks/ratings and allow talking heads to fight over it.

This is something both sides should speak out against. Had John Kerry said something similar about W, I absolutely would have said this is horrible, and he should step down immediately.

Except, it wouldn't have happened. That's the problem.

I used to think this was a joke, but I'm starting to think Trump is just in this for ego and might be fucking crazy.
starting? where have you been the past 13 months? :wink:

seriously though, i agree with you. like almost every other person on the planet, i thought he announced it as a joke. for me, once april 1st came and went, i was like :uhoh: because then i mean...surely if it were a joke, that would've been the time to announce it? and now he's the official nominee. i know a few republicans and none of them support him or even voted for him in the primaries. one of them (who's pretty right-wing) was actually furious when he became the presumed nominee, like as mad as us left-wingers are.

Your questions is actually a serious one. He completely fits the diagnostic criteria for antisocial personality disorder
agreed, and i'd also say he meets the criteria for npd, although that's probably obvious to most people. trump and narcissism go hand-in-hand.

Your questions is actually a serious one. He completely fits the diagnostic criteria for antisocial personality disorder:

I count at least 4 of the 7 factors (only 3 are needed). Given existing accusations by his wife, D could be in play too.

I would imagine a closely related narcissistic personality disorder is more fitting, but I'm no psychologist/psychiatrist.

There must be something illegal in so doing, right? Imagine if an elected official had done this.

Many months ago, back when we all thought that he was nothing but an orange orangutan on a self-promotion tour, I heard a pundit say something very simple but that turned out to be very true (I even laughed at it at the time). That the other GOP candidates were trying to bring him down for lack of policy or knowledge - I'd dispute this but I suppose maybe it's true of Jeb - and that the Democrats were obsessing over the same but that this election was not going to be about policies or what you know. Because a large number, maybe even a majority of the voters did not care about those "things". Well there you have it.

In a way Trump's campaign has been brilliant so far in that regard - malevolent, yes, but still brilliant. I think the Left does have a tendency toward condescension and intellectual elitism, writ large by the John Olivers and Samantha Bees of the world, that Trump has been exploiting to great and worrying effect. I'm sure a lot of us, myself included, watched Jon Stewart the other day and agreed with pretty much everything he said, but to a large portion of the country that whole "let me tell all you conservatives why you're stupid" shtick doesn't come off well.

I think the Left does have a tendency toward condescension and intellectual elitism, writ large by the John Olivers and Samantha Bees of the world, that Trump has been exploiting to great and worrying effect. I'm sure a lot of us, myself included, watched Jon Stewart the other day and agreed with pretty much everything he said, but to a large portion of the country that whole "let me tell all you conservatives why you're stupid" shtick doesn't come off well.
exactly. i'm like you, i watch this stuff and agree with it (can't get into samantha bee though) but i know if you didn't, it'd come off extremely condescending. it's kinda like the pop argument in the other place™ where if you don't like it, then you just don't get it. luckily for me i'm a leftist and i like pop so i'm all good, but if you're on the wrong side of either argument you're left feeling like you're wrong or don't get it but dang, it's just an opinion.

i've lived in the deep south so long that i've been able to get an idea at least as to why some people vote for republicans that (to me) seem like they don't have anyone's best interests at heart except for that 1%. they're good at saying the right things and are probably still talking down to these guys, but in a less obvious way that makes it seem like they care about their interests when we all know if they're elected, they're not going to pass a single thing to help some lower- or middle-class republican keep more of their money. but the leftists who would come off as too smart and condescending and it can be off-putting.

unfortunately, the whole thing with people electing george w. bush because they wanted to have a beer with him, there's a lot of people at least here in the south with that kind of mindset. they don't want to elect people who are smarter than them. they don't care if they have a phd or even 30 years of experience in government. that's how there were multiple people running on the republican presidential ticket who had 0 previous political experience of any kind. the goldwater days really did a number on changing the political landscape of the south and i can't speak for how the north or west is since i haven't lived there (or haven't lived there since i was little in the case of the north), but it would take some kind of miracle or some other politician to change the landscape again. who knows, maybe this ridiculousness of trump will bring the republicans to their senses, but i'm not hopeful. every four years since bush mk. ii they keep putting losers (in the sense that they're not winning the election) on their ticket who are too extreme, saying they have to be more moderate, then four years later it's more of the same. they're not learning from their lessons. but i can't tell if voters even care. i guess we'll find out in november.

I don't know if I want to live in a country where people as stupid as Trump's supporters can continue to threaten the future of 300 million people.

Last edited:

Trump just surged ahead 5 more points in the polls as a result.

Guys, it's ok. He was being sarcastic.

Trump just calls it hows he sees it

This is what the country needs. Maybe next joke can be nuking someone, cause sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

but to a large portion of the country that whole "let me tell all you conservatives why you're stupid" shtick doesn't come off well.

It's understandable, but also frustrating. I mean what do you do? Purposely dumb yourself down?

I mean sometimes it's like handing them a ball, proving to them it's round, but they insist it's square. Trump could kill their grandma right before their eyes and they'd still vote for him. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

Guys, it's ok. He was being sarcastic.

Trump just calls it hows he sees it

This is what the country needs. Maybe next joke can be nuking someone, cause sarcasm

#antiestablishment

It's understandable, but also frustrating. I mean what do you do? Purposely dumb yourself down?

I mean sometimes it's like handing them a ball, proving to them it's round, but they insist it's square. Trump could kill their grandma right before their eyes and they'd still vote for him. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think there has been too much dismissiveness of the motivations of Trump supporters. It's easy to write them off as a bunch of ill-educated xenophobes, but I don't think many of them are really hate-mongers at heart. I don't have an answer for what their motivation is, but Clinton's team needs to find it and start addressing it.

Some people have said its out of spite because Obama lit into him for the birth certificate nonsense at the Correspondents Dinner back in 2011 and humiliated him pretty badly. This was also the night they killed Osama Bin Laden.

Nah. Remember, he could go out and shoot someone and still be insanely popular. .... guess we know to watch for his next publicity stunt.

(can't get into samantha bee though)

oh good, it's not just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom