2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll fully admit, I've had a handful of sarcastic posts about Bernie supporters (again, focusing on the crazy ones), but I don't see any "hate" flying around either.

I think the biggest frustration is the certain very vocal subset of supporters, unfortunately BMP seems to represent this subset(though maybe to an extreme), if there were other more engaging supporters you probably wouldn't have that lumping in here.

Thank you, and this is what I'm getting at: the reactions to BMP have obscured or prevented discussion of what are (I think at least) some legitimate political grievances represented by the larger Bernie campaign. And that's a shame.

And full disclosure, I'm a Hillary supporter, if not a super enthusiastic one. I worry that the demonization of Hillary by Bernie supporters is going the other way as well, making for a counterproductive situation on the national stage.

It's amazing to me that in a country with such a disturbing problem of limited voter turnout and political involvement, that some of you would be so seethingly angry about a candidate like Bernie garnering some enthusiasm.

I have never seen anyone badmouthing the enthusiasm for Bernie. It's awesome, I love it. BUT, there are supporters of his that were enthusiastic about his ideas, and then there were a good percentage that were enthusiastic for him, and turned turned it into sheer hatred for Clinton.

They took Sanders words that the "system is rigged", to mean that any primary he lost was rigged and fraudulent. That any poll that Clinton was ahead in was rigged and paid for. That any news channel that showed more coverage of her than him was rigged and secretly owned by Clinton. The stories and rhetoric grew more wild by the week.

To me, that's not constructive enthusiasm. Sanders is to blame for a lot of this. His once positive campaign of ideas took a different turn in the lead up to New York, and it just fueled the delusions of these types of supporters.

Real enthusiasm would mean - shit, my candidate didn't win, but damn if he didn't turn the Dem platform into a largely Sandersesque platform! Awesome, lets get Clinton in now and hold her feet to the fire to follow through on these issues! Lets get the houses back to blue!!

Doing some protest vote for Stein (whom I despise) does nothing to further the issues that they stood and applauded at Sanders rallies for the last year.
Stein will be lucky to be on 75% of the ballots in November. Even if she were a viable candidate, she would be able to do nothing in Washington.
I would hope the reasonable, genuine and hopefully still enthusiastic supporters of his would be able to grasp this and see that on nearly every issue, Clinton and Sanders are aligned, and that Clinton, with the help of a blue Senate/Congress can make real change happen over the next 8 years.

Thank you, and this is what I'm getting at: the reactions to BMP have obscured or prevented discussion of what are (I think at least) some legitimate political grievances represented by the larger Bernie campaign. And that's a shame.

And full disclosure, I'm a Hillary supporter, if not a super enthusiastic one. I worry that the demonization of Hillary by Bernie supporters is going the other way as well, making for a counterproductive situation on the national stage.

well said!:up:

I agree with you 100% on both points. I once mentioned to BMP that his posts were actually counterproductive and he could have come in here tried to win hearts and do something positive for the candidate he was so passionate about. His response was basically, "I'm not here to win hearts". Which unfortunately is very indicative of that subset of supporters, it's as if they don't really get it, like they don't understand that's what Bernie wants you to be doing, instead you may be costing him votes. I think Bernie lacked in specifics, which at the end of the day is why he isn't the candidate, but the BMPs made it even worse.

Nothing he could have done would have please them. He and his supporters succeeded in moving the platform left. That's a huge accomplishment. It's just in some folks minds, Hillary is satan. These are the same people who are now going to vote for a guy who has nice things to say about Saddam Hussein, who claims to be a billionaire, who is the nominee for a party whose platform includes support for conversion therapy. It's crazy.

The voters were stating a policy position of Sanders and were three times as likely to name one for him than Clinton supporters were for their candidate. What's so hard to understand about that?

Are you honestly going to argue that the 80 year-olds living on a farm voting for Clinton or black females in Chicago's south side that barely graduated high school know more about politics than the young people of America today, the most educated generation in American history?

A famous name can get you far. See: Trump and Bush, W.

Are you honestly going to argue that a bunch of sheltered white 19-year old college sophomores in flat, white states who know nothing about the world or how it works or have ever earned a paycheck or taken care of a child or suffered any form of hardship in their lives are going to know about the world and how it works than a middle class black female with a decent job and three kids living in the suburbs?

good_will_hunting_640.jpg

Yup. Gingrich and FNC have suspended their contract. Makes sense for Trump. Bring forth the old 90s warrior to do battle with the Clintons again. Gingrich translates Trumps message in a more articulate way to hit those GOP that are still lukewarm.

Now there are 2 white guys on one side. Will Clinton shy away from Kaine go for Booker-Perez-Castro-Warren?

(Off topic since the Castro name popped in my head. I was watching JFK on Amazon prime for the zillionith time and I still can't get over that Fidel is still alive)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's the ticket the party of family values can be proud of

I don't think the Christian purity voters care this go-a-round.

They stayed home last time because a Mormon was head of the ticket. The establishment seemed blind to the fact that a big chunk of evangelicals view Mormonism as a cult. Killed Romney in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't think the Christian purity voters care this go-a-round.
:shh:tell you a little secret: they never really have. There are no Christian purity voters. There are those that grew up in the political version of conservative religion and then there are Christians that know how to still separate church from state.

This time around just shines a brighter light on the hypocrisy of those that pretended that was their litmus test.

Last edited:
Yup. Gingrich and FNC have suspended their contract. Makes sense for Trump. Bring forth the old 90s warrior to do battle with the Clintons again. Gingrich translates Trumps message in a more articulate way to hit those GOP that are still lukewarm.

It would be most fitting in that I'm sure Trump doesn't even remember that Bill Clinton clowned Gingrich back in the 90s.

Gingrich has also spoke relatively glowingly of Bill Clinton since then...ya know...after getting pretty much slapped around by him and forced out of his seat. Gingrich has had to claim that as his legacy (balanced budget, welfare reform) otherwise, he's got nothing. Let me say that again - more directly. Gingrich actually ain't shit w/o needing to invoke Slick Willie. It's what Newt did when running in 2012. Constantly talk about how he worked with the Dem President (as he badmouthed Barry O).

So yeah. Another good Trump plan.

Perhaps this will elevate him to 210, 220 electoral votes.

Last edited:
(Off topic since the Castro name popped in my head. I was watching JFK on Amazon prime for the zillionith time and I still can't get over that Fidel is still alive)

i'm pretty amazed that my grandpa is still alive. he was 26 years old and already had a bunch of medals when he landed on d-day.

Perhaps this will elevate him to 210, 220 electoral votes.

yea i'd still take the under.

he'll be lucky to hit the mendoza line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom