2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X - Page 66 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #976
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I was going to make some pithy comment about the perks of compulsory voting, but then it occurred to me: how consistent is turnout throughout the US? Are there some states where turnout is notoriously poor, or by contrast any where 70% would be viewed as horribly low?

In a presidential election year, voter tun out has been somewhere between 52 and 58% since 2000.

I'm not sure about compulsory voting, but I think having it on a regular workday on a Tuesday in November is idiotic. Move it to a weekend or make it a national holiday.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #977
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
This is a good point. Is Tim Kaine really the future of the Democratic Party?

If one believes in the Clintonian model -- moderate governors from the south -- then yes.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #978
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
In a presidential election year, voter tun out has been somewhere between 52 and 58% since 2000.

I'm not sure about compulsory voting, but I think having it on a regular workday on a Tuesday in November is idiotic. Move it to a weekend or make it a national holiday.

That wasn't quite my question though. I'm familiar with the overall turnout, but I would be surprised if that is pretty even nationwide. Are there specific states that reliably get turnout in the sixties, even seventies, or states that would be lucky to crack the mid-forties? I'd expect some regional variation, and moreover I would assume the battleground states that receive frequent visits from candidates and huge investment by parties to show comparatively better turnout figures than small states that are a foregone conclusion. If battleground states do not get better turnout, that to me would suggest much of the investment in them is ineffectual.

But I do wholeheartedly agree with you that a regular Tuesday is an absurd choice of day. Likewise I find the UK's use of Thursday to be unjustifiable but at least they leave the polls open very late to try to accommodate people on all schedules.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #979
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
That wasn't quite my question though. I'm familiar with the overall turnout, but I would be surprised if that is pretty even nationwide. Are there specific states that reliably get turnout in the sixties, even seventies, or states that would be lucky to crack the mid-forties? I'd expect some regional variation, and moreover I would assume the battleground states that receive frequent visits from candidates and huge investment by parties to show comparatively better turnout figures than small states that are a foregone conclusion. If battleground states do not get better turnout, that to me would suggest much of the investment in them is ineffectual.

But I do wholeheartedly agree with you that a regular Tuesday is an absurd choice of day. Likewise I find the UK's use of Thursday to be unjustifiable but at least they leave the polls open very late to try to accommodate people on all schedules.

This breaks it down:

http://bipartisanpolicy.org/library/2012-voter-turnout/

Looks like turnout is a bit higher than I initially thought. State breakdowns are interesting ... I only looked it over briefly and couldn't find much in the way of trends.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #980
Blue Crack Addict

My problem with Kaine is his economic views, but the Democratic Party long since resigned itself being the Wall Street Party Who Happen to Have the Right Social Views, so I really can't be surprised.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #981
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Watched the official introduction rally in Miami.

Kaine was good. Really good. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with this choice.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #982
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Kaine will walk the Earth like Caine in Kung Fu

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #983
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Watched the official introduction rally in Miami.

Kaine was good. Really good. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with this choice.
You should have known he was the best pick way back when I said it would be him. Have a little faith.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #984
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
For those of you outside the U.S., another thing you have to understand about Warren(and some other other senators that were being considered, Sherrod Brown and Corey Booker among them) is that they're all senators from states with Republican governors. If a senator becomes a vp pick, they vacate their senate seat, and a replacement for the seat is appointed by their state's governor.

So picking Warren or Brown or Booker would've essentially been giving a senate seat away just as we're trying to regain a majority in the senate this election cycle. We're not going to have the house of representatives for a while, so it is absolutely crucial that we at least do everything can to get the senate back, and that means not willfully throwing senate seats away.

This is true, but it's important to remember that it would only be until next year, when they would hold a special election for the seat.

So there's a danger in Virginia after the first year that Kaine's seat could switch to the GOP.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #985
Blue Crack Addict

I think you just made an astude prediction, funny if a GOP pickup gives a majority of some sort.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #986
Blue Crack Addict

Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #987
Blue Crack Addict

Bernie Sanders Campaign Chief Says Someone Must Be 'Accountable' for What DNC Emails Show - ABC News
Old 07-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #988
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
All this appeal to "law and order" and chants of "lock her up" and everything is dangerous and trying to kill you -- this is what a strongman looks and sounds like.
yeah, you said it.

Very scary man
Old 07-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #989
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
what is the basis of your racist charge? perhaps a copy of the transscript will come out and you can high light all the things you are hearing. I am hearing nationalist remarks, that is not racist. To be for America, Americans does not mean only white people.
Well, I can remember Limbaugh saying that Merica was settled by certain people. And that that other people weren't necessarily as hard working, etc etc.

Life knows he appeals to nationalists and racists.
Way more than not these two idea are found together.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #990
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Trump: I can fix all of America's problems!

Us: can you tell us how, specifically?

Trump: I can't actually explain it - you know what, just trust me.

That's it, that's this whole speech.

Also, he totally only thanked his wife and Ivanka, even though three other children also gave speeches. [U]And gave Ivanka a pat on the ass before he took the podium. [/B]

Awkward.
Ew, i missed rhat.

Didn't Nixon say "trust me" at n he ran in'68?