2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #961
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Other than Obama, when has this not been the case?
Which is a reason for it to continue in the future?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 PM   #962
The Male

Local Time: 11:03 PM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Wrong. He has stated that he is personally against abortion, but has stated that as a public official he will not fight against abortion laws, and his record backs that up.

So he's... hesitantly pro-choice? Or no?

Hell, thinking about abortion doesn't give me my jollies either. I want to limit abortions as much as possible through education and safe sex practices. I can respect someone who hates abortion but recognizes the necessity of leaving the option available.

Now.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #963
45:33

Local Time: 05:03 PM
So can someone tell me more about this Kaine bloke? Is he in the Dems' right faction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
For those of you outside the U.S., another thing you have to understand about Warren(and some other other senators that were being considered, Sherrod Brown and Corey Booker among them) is that they're all senators from states with Republican governors. If a senator becomes a vp pick, they vacate their senate seat, and a replacement for the seat is appointed by their state's governor.

So picking Warren or Brown or Booker would've essentially been giving a senate seat away just as we're trying to regain a majority in the senate this election cycle. We're not going to have the house of representatives for a while, so it is absolutely crucial that we at least do everything can to get the senate back, and that means not willfully throwing senate seats away.
Ah okay, didn't know that, cheers
Old 07-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #964
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Which is a reason for it to continue in the future?

So a white male candidate is by definition unacceptable?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:06 AM   #965
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Unacceptable is a strong term. But two such candidates on a Democratic ticket isn't ideal, no. Just as the minuscule representation of women in Congress isn't ideal.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #966
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Unacceptable is a strong term. But two such candidates on a Democratic ticket isn't ideal, no. Just as the minuscule representation of women in Congress isn't ideal.

Uh... but there aren't two white males on the democratic ticket?
Old 07-23-2016, 02:02 AM   #967
ONE
love, blood, life

2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

Quote:
Are you suggesting there are no qualified minority politicians on either side?

I think you've read plenty of what I've posted here to know I'm not suggesting that. And I think my post just there was very clearly not suggesting that at all.

I'm suggesting that there are several qualified people on both sides, and most of them are white men. Because most politicians are white men. The likelihood that Clinton finds diversity in her candidacy pool is not big enough, and you can't just expect her to pick someone simply because they're racially diverse. Lots of people are qualified by prior standards, but that doesn't necessarily make them a great fit for Clinton's ticket.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #968
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I don't know who all here watches Colbert's late night show, but Jon Stewart popped up (for the second time this week), and hoooooooooly shit, he just gave one HELL of a blistering rant that I wish to God we could play over and over and over and over again for the GOP. It was so damn cathartic.
This is still awesome too

Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #969
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You could think of Tim Kaine as white male tokenism. That's the group that she has the most problem with.

It's a sign of progress, maybe? That it's no longer 1980 and this group that has dominated all of American political life is now one of many competing groups needing to be pandered to in order to create a broad coalition that can win in November. It's a reflection of our growing diversity.

Anyway, the more I read the more comfortable I am. It is boring, but that may be the point. And Kaine is well regarded in one of the best run, most successful states in the country.

I know a lot of Romney voters who likely made up their minds to vote for HRC -- these would be people who generally support conservative economics and like their taxes low, but aren't socially conservative nor does it comprise a large portion of their cultural identity. This is a credible ticket. The other side has no credibility, it just wants to see the world burn.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #970
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Do we want to live in a world where someone with solidly progressive credentials is deemed boring because they don't spew venom?

I don't like the fact that I find him boring. Maybe the problem is me?
You're fixating on the boring descriptor as if it's the only issue some of us have with him. The fact that he is boring is not in and of itself a dealbreaker (I mean who would describe Mike Pence as intriguing - will be dullest VP debate ever). But in an election where turnout will probably be very important and where the Republican lunatic for all his lunacy is genius at having people turn out who have never voted before while the Democratic candidate is a "hold your nose" candidate for many, going with boring is another head scratcher.

Yes, he has experience and appears to be steady but he was an absolutely terrible DNC chairman (did we all get amnesia and forget the disastrous 2010 midterms for the Dems), which is the first huge red flag I had about him. Keep in mind this was another important election where turnout mattered and who turned out? Tea Party lunatics. His record on abortion rights I don't particularly like, and while he has a solid PP/NARAL rating now, that was not always the case and NARAL did blast him in Virginia as I recall during his governorship for funding pregnancy crisis centres (read between the lines as to what those were). I don't care about TPP, in fact I support TPP so his support of it does not raise concern for me like for many who are further left than I am.

Ultimately a VP doesn't matter for bringing in votes, doesn't really matter in terms of policy, but what I can't stand about it is that he will be the best positioned person to run for the Dem nomination in 8 years if Hillary wins and stays in power for both terms. And that's really unfortunate. In a time of prosperity Al Gore gifted us W.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #971
Blue Crack Supplier

They obviously made the calculation that wrestling the center to their side is more important than turning out the base. I'm sure there are people better trained than you or I who run lots of numbers and came up with this calculus. We may not like it, but it's obviously how they are running their campaign. You are right in that the big unknown is whether or not Trump can turn out people who have never voted before, and this ticket isn't designed to do the same with the left. I think the decision was made that presidential elections are won by fighting for the center, and midterm elections are won by the base.

What Kaine does offer is the white guy, Catholic endorsement -- these are the people we're all so worried about in PA and OH. He may be able to make the case to that demographic in these important states. And picking off small numbers of these guys would probably held a greater electoral return than exciting urban progressives who will ultimate have to choose between more moderate progress or The Dark Knight. I'm sure some will stamp their feet and stay home, but likely not enough to offset gains made in the middle.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #972
Vocal parasite

I was going to make some pithy comment about the perks of compulsory voting, but then it occurred to me: how consistent is turnout throughout the US? Are there some states where turnout is notoriously poor, or by contrast any where 70% would be viewed as horribly low?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #973
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Uh... but there aren't two white males on the democratic ticket?
I wasn't talking about this specific ticket, but rather to what I took Irvine's point to be, that diversity on a ticket isn't something to be prioritized. And maybe I misread him on that.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #974
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Ultimately a VP doesn't matter for bringing in votes, doesn't really matter in terms of policy, but what I can't stand about it is that he will be the best positioned person to run for the Dem nomination in 8 years if Hillary wins and stays in power for both terms. And that's really unfortunate. In a time of prosperity Al Gore gifted us W.
This is a good point. Is Tim Kaine really the future of the Democratic Party?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #975
45:33

It's a wild election. You've got the Dems who are decidedly Centrist and then a Rep nominee who isa populist and nothing more.