2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who all here watches Colbert's late night show, but Jon Stewart popped up (for the second time this week), and hoooooooooly shit, he just gave one HELL of a blistering rant that I wish to God we could play over and over and over and over again for the GOP. It was so damn cathartic.

That was great stuff! :applaud:

And both of them... can you move the camera off me? ( perhaps obscene gestures mouthed words commenced? :lol:

Calling them out on their lip service about "blue lives matter" while they simultaneously refused to support legislation for 9/11 first responders was a particularly great touch.

Also, regarding the right's hypocrisy in their bitching about Obama using teleprompters...did the people complaining about that also completely forget the time when Sarah Palin wrote words from a speech she gave on her hand?

Omg, yeah!!! So glad he lent his celebrity to change such a hediously uncaring situation.

Oh. I forgot about that!

It was great to see them together.

Stewart was fabulous last night. However, he's preaching to the choir.

The part about this election that terrifies me, an urban California Latina, is that there are way more people in this country who would prefer me to not be here, than I thought. There are way more people in this country who would prefer to live in the time of segregation than I thought. It makes me ashamed to be an American to hear the vitriol spouted against immigrants and to know that it's mostly directed at people like me.

If trump is elected, I will be less safe.

:( :hug:

Those are some of the scariest corners of the internet. Trump won't get accused of plagiarism because no one who knows what that word means can get past the first 5 or 6 without getting nauseous.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I went to the extreme continuum end of Christian Dominiast sites oh about 10 yrs ago... :|

:yikes: :yikes:

Debates about whether to stone to death a very disobedient son.
(And if it under extreme authoritarianism how little being "disobedient" could be, how much "more" would it take to be "very" disobedient!?! )

Should slavery be reinstated ?!!!

:crack:

Last edited:
But she went with someone who has extensive experience -- former governor and present Senator.

This may be a boring choice, but it is a highly responsible one.

And mayor, too.
It makes sense in this way being able to go up the ladder in terms widening governing responsibilities; city, state, state and national as a Senator

For those of you outside the U.S., another thing you have to understand about Warren(and some other other senators that were being considered, Sherrod Brown and Corey Booker among them) is that they're all senators from states with Republican governors. If a senator becomes a vp pick, they vacate their senate seat, and a replacement for the seat is appointed by their state's governor.

So picking Warren or Brown or Booker would've essentially been giving a senate seat away just as we're trying to regain a majority in the senate this election cycle. We're not going to have the house of representatives for a while, so it is absolutely crucial that we at least do everything can to get the senate back, and that means not willfully throwing senate seats away.

Oh, right, McAuliffe is Governed of VA?

What Kaine does offer is the white guy, Catholic endorsement -- these are the people we're all so worried about in PA and OH. He may be able to make the case to that demographic in these important states.

I don't think that anyone has ever shown that VPs actually bring out the vote or change things materially. In fact I think research has shown they have no impact on voting.

I think he was picked because:
1. He is safe and the Clintons are nothing if not risk averse.
2. A calculation was made that those on the far left would not be disaffected because Trump is reason enough to show up to the polls.
3. A Hispanic candidate wasn't needed in an election where the GOP has alienated that entire group.
4. He is boring and a lot of people don't know who he is but who cares when the top of the ticket is the most famous woman in America.

As I said, I'm not particularly concerned about his policy positions, such as they are, I just don't want him to be the person that the Democrats look to for leadership in 2024. If the world only spins forward then he should be slipping off that spinning wheel before that election rolls around. My husband incidentally doesn't believe Hillary would get re-elected (he thinks the current roaring economy will be due for a recession in 4 years and the Republicans may start to come to their senses after this debacle and nominate somebody respectable that the centre can get comfortable with). In which case obviously it would not matter.

My problem with Kaine is his economic views, but the Democratic Party long since resigned itself being the Wall Street Party Who Happen to Have the Right Social Views, so I really can't be surprised.

Not all of us Dems. :)

I have heard (radio) in the last year or so that millennials, and the gen behind them ( called Gen Z [and are we going to go back to the letter "A" after this upcoming gen] ) are more liberal, thus potentially moving the Democrats back ton a more overall liberal stance aka FDR, Ted Kennedy, Paul Wellstone, etc.

BIG :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:
I don't think that anyone has ever shown that VPs actually bring out the vote or change things materially. In fact I think research has shown they have no impact on voting.

I think he was picked because:

1. He is safe and the Clintons are nothing if not risk averse.

2. A calculation was made that those on the far left would not be disaffected because Trump is reason enough to show up to the polls.

3. A Hispanic candidate wasn't needed in an election where the GOP has alienated that entire group.

4. He is boring and a lot of people don't know who he is but who cares when the top of the ticket is the most famous woman in America.

As I said, I'm not particularly concerned about his policy positions, such as they are, I just don't want him to be the person that the Democrats look to for leadership in 2024. If the world only spins forward then he should be slipping off that spinning wheel before that election rolls around. My husband incidentally doesn't believe Hillary would get re-elected (he thinks the current roaring economy will be due for a recession in 4 years and the Republicans may start to come to their senses after this debacle and nominate somebody respectable that the centre can get comfortable with). In which case obviously it would not matter.

Well, no, no one ever votes for a VP. What a VP does is clarify a ticket, it's not so much that they could win votes, but as we saw with Palin and potentially Quayle in '92, they can cost you votes. A VP is evidence of a presidential decision.

Kaine makes plenty of sense. And Hillary as a one-termer is certainly a real possibility, so long as the GOP can find someone other than Cruz.

Why are you so averse to Kaine being the leader of the Democrats by 2024? Why can he not spin forward along with the rest of the world? (Incrementally, of course).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom