2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't pander?

Really?

You're just trying to get people to do spit takes now, aren't you? :)

part believe, a lot of hope

this from someone that in 2008 thought Hillary was going to be our first woman president and do a very good job, amazing how much 8 years and events changes my opinions

As Kasparov just tweeted, we've heard this speech a lot in the past 15 years, and it doesn't sound any better in Russian.

There's only 2 positives I can give on this speech, other than that it was by far the darkest and most fearmongering speech of my lifetime.

I really did appreciate at least his mentioning of the lgbtq community, and I was impressed with the audience response. And I liked his "I'm with/ for you", as he flipped Clinton phrase. As obvious and simple as it was, it was good speech writing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't know who all here watches Colbert's late night show, but Jon Stewart popped up (for the second time this week), and hoooooooooly shit, he just gave one HELL of a blistering rant that I wish to God we could play over and over and over and over again for the GOP. It was so damn cathartic.

Calling them out on their lip service about "blue lives matter" while they simultaneously refused to support legislation for 9/11 first responders was a particularly great touch.

Also, regarding the right's hypocrisy in their bitching about Obama using teleprompters...did the people complaining about that also completely forget the time when Sarah Palin wrote words from a speech she gave on her hand?

I'm very curious to figure out how Trump will end crime within 12 hours of taking office.

I'm very curious to figure out how Trump will end crime within 12 hours of taking office.

Well, the first thing he promises to do is jail a certain corporate couple. :up: #ImWithHerGoingToPrison

Part of me is enjoying deep's (fairly recent) full blown allegiance to the Republican Party, it's refreshing as he's really put it out there and announced himself as one to fill INDY's absence.

As Kasparov just tweeted, we've heard this speech a lot in the past 15 years, and it doesn't sound any better in Russian.

As a rule, I would try to avoid taking Kasparov seriously on anything - even if he may have a point in regards to Trump's speech.

So next week I'm expecting a 4 day liberal arts lecture and sketchy Atmospheric Science class where we make a lot of Americans feel guilty.

So next week I'm expecting a 4 day liberal arts lecture and sketchy Atmospheric Science class where we make a lot of Americans feel guilty.

As opposed to a week of telling Americans they could die at any moment at the hands of dark people and/or a candidate who worships a fake monster in the ground?

I'm expecting 4 days of portraying Trump and his followers as somewhat simple.
7.-os06025-getty.jpg

Eh, Trump wanting to pull back from NATO unless we get paid isn't morally right, but pulling back from military interventionism is always right. There is no doubt in my mind that he'd be less of a war hawk than Clinton and if he actually means what he says on trade, that's the other plus. Everything else he "supports" is absolute garbage, mind you.

That's right, the woman that's been consistently refusing any notion to scale up military interaction in the middle east, will be less of a hawk than the man who just last week said he would go to congress with a "declaration of war" against ISIS. Who in his words are "everywhere" in the middle east.
We are talking immediate ground troops in who knows how many ME countries.

I just love how people make wild accusations against Clinton despite all evidence to the contrary.

It would have been re-named Mount Sandy for obvious reasons. He would probably replace Lincoln since Sanders would have been the one to finally free blacks from economic slavery. Things only got worse for the black community under Bill and Barack. A shame, but it's fitting that an actual Civil Rights activist would be the one to finish the job rather than a "Goldwater girl".

Instead, we're stuck with that. Ew.

Wow. the Bernie brainwashing is still alive and well. I think there may be deprogramming facilities somewhere.

How have things gotten worse for the black community? You mean the unemployment rate being cut in half? I'm not sure what you mean here.

And can we please put the Goldwater Girl thing to rest. She was six-fucking-teen!! By college she was a Democrat working to get Eugene McCarthy elected, and holding student strikes for African Americans, and helping for voter registration of latinos. Later working with Walter Mondale to help migrant workers conditions.
But yeah, the Goldwater Girl.

Last edited:
What percent of the people think the country is going in the wrong direction?

This is the most misleading metric in the whole mix of misleading metrics.

No one is looking at the people's reasons that they think its moving in the wrong direction. For some its because we want trans people to be able to use a bathroom of their choice, but yet theres just as many who dissatisfied because we have politicians who want to discriminate against trans people. So there you go, everyone is dissatisfied with that issue, and that's how it proceeds, issue after issue. Guns, environment, immigration, etc...

The number means nothing other than what we already know. people are divided on issues.

if you are listening to what he said he said the kids in Ferguson, Detroit, Chicago, etc deserve to have safe environment and good educations

and he just said he would protect the LBGT community and the room cheered, and then he said as a Republican it is good to hear you all cheering for these things, this guy has mentioned more about those communities than any other GOP, Romney, McCain, Bush, this guy is for all Americans

NO, NO, NO!
Everyone, especially the media is using just part of Trump's quote.
He said he would protect the LBGT community... wait for it...
will do everything in my power to protect our LGBT citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology

THAT is actually him being a hateful bigot, as usual, to i'm guessing those Sharia Law Lovin' muslims. While he's standing there representing the party who has the most anti LGBT platform ever.

disgusting.

There's only 2 positives I can give on this speech, other than that it was by far the darkest and most fearmongering speech of my lifetime.

I really did appreciate at least his mentioning of the lgbtq community, and I was impressed with the audience response. And I liked his "I'm with/ for you", as he flipped Clinton phrase. As obvious and simple as it was, it was good speech writing.

read his full quote of what he said about LGBT community. Not great at all. blaming hate of them on muslims, when it's really him and the whole crowd he's speaking to.

NO, NO, NO!

Everyone, especially the media is using just part of Trump's quote.

He said he would protect the LBGT community... wait for it...

will do everything in my power to protect our LGBT citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology

THAT is actually him being a hateful bigot, as usual, to i'm guessing those Sharia Law Lovin' muslims. While he's standing there representing the party who has the most anti LGBT platform ever.

disgusting.

This is perceptive. I've seen people be like "oh how nice! Republicans don't hate gays anymore."

What he's really saying is, "you, gay people, are under deadly threat by malevolent forces, and only I can protect you from them."

"Because I am Batman."

No surprise.

Fascism appeals to the far left and the far right.

I'm, again, surprised that you are saying this - partly because this is a very simplistic and incorrect view (contrasting with your more nuanced views on other matters), and also because you seem to be basing this (?) on BM's posting content (which I don't share a great deal of agreement with) - as well as an overall decontextualisation of the meaning of fascism.

Wow. the Bernie brainwashing is still alive and well. I think there may be deprogramming facilities somewhere.

I've made my thoughts on Bernie quite clear in the past, but I'm not sure why there is a need to make BM the unofficial representative for all Sanders supporters.

I'm, again, surprised that you are saying this - partly because this is a very simplistic and incorrect view (contrasting with your more nuanced views on other matters), and also because you seem to be basing this (?) on BM's posting content (which I don't share a great deal of agreement with) - as well as an overall decontextualisation of the meaning of fascism.

People on either political extremes have historically been drawn to fascist strongmen who promise to keep them safe and create a utopian state based on said ideology via sheer force of will. They often jail the opposition.

Of course it's a bit of a stretch, and of course we're bending terms a bit to fit this specific context and this moment in time in this particular culture, but the overall comparison works.

BMP posts in a way meant to draw a response. He enjoys it, and so do many others on here. I'm one of them.

But 'fascist' is such an illfitting term, if you want to talk about what you perceive as desire for a strong state (from say, Sanders and Trump supporters, which I'm getting the impression that this is what you're getting at), there are more suitable terms than just referencing a plainly far right political ideology. That's just my standard take.

For what it's worth, I prefer to keep usage of certain terms consistent and relevant. I'm not a fan of 'bending' them to fit a specific context as I think it is somewhat meaningless.

I've made my thoughts on Bernie quite clear in the past, but I'm not sure why there is a need to make BM the unofficial representative for all Sanders supporters.

Huh? I'm in no way saying all Bernie supporters. I was a bernie supporter. I have many friends who were/are and don't go around calling Hillary a Goldwater Girl.

There is a small subset of very vocal Sanders supporters who deal in the world of delusion when it comes to Clinton. Most have now jumped to the Stein bandwagon, irregardless that she has no proven success, no qualifications, and no record to judge her character. But hey, she's the spotless, honest, genuine truth teller that will bring harmony and drum circle-esque bliss to Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom