2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 PM   #376
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:59 PM
We'll never know. But the "this is the strongest candidate because they won the primary" argument is already a farcical one when you look at Donald Trump who consistently fared the worst in polling of all the major Republican contenders. And it was brought up time and again by political news sites, FiveThirtyEight, etc. Just because 40% of Republicans were down with building a wall doesn't mean he was their best option.

A lot of it has to do with poor strategy. Republican voters are like 80 and can't comprehend to get behind one tolerable candidate. The "anybody but Romney" crowd could have easily toppled the guy had they got behind either Santorum or Gingrich instead of waffling around like cry-babies. Same could have happened to Trump this time and probably would have had Rubio not malfunctioned.

Call it being burned by Nader or whatever, but Democrats are pretty swift when it comes to the primary game. Of course, looking into the foreseeable future, a lot of that has to do with candidates being anointed. If Cory Booker is the VP, for example, there's absolutely no way he can't win the nomination given all the plusses he'd have going for him (age, ethnicity and VP status). But regardless, Democrats whittle out those that can't possibly win the primaries right away and then coalesce behind the candidate that best fits their interest from what's left...for liberals, it was Obama > Clinton in 2008 since Kucinich wasn't viable, etc.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #377
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Very good article, thanks for posting. Almost all of it rings very true to me. So much in it is quotable, but this is one point, taken from the very beginning, that I want to bring up:

This is very true. And the next paragraph, where the author gives several counterexamples of male politicians who have done well despite being attacked - the point he seems to be missing is that none of them have spent 25 or so years consistently in the spotlight being under such a sustained attack as she has been.

Anyway, that point just barely scratches the surface. The communication and listening style issues are fascinating, as is her ability to compartmentalize.
VP
Was wondering if you were keeping an eye on your friends political landscape across the border

I'm sure you'd know i'm not voting for Trump!

Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #378
Blue Crack Supplier

It also didn't help that McGovern wouldn't -when Nixon's crowd painted him as a weak, super-peacenik- talk more about the 35 missions he flew over Germany during WWII.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #379
ONE
love, blood, life

So am I getting this right... Pence voted for and endorsed Ted Cruz?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #380
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
So am I getting this right... Pence voted for and endorsed Ted Cruz?
Yes, I believe he did.
But, "Trump understands the frustrations and the hopes of the American people like no other American leader in my lifetime since Ronald Reagan."
Old 07-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #381
ONE
love, blood, life

Trump is legitimately running a campaign where he has to answer for nothing.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #382
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Sanders basically would be entitled to every lifelong Democrat voting for him in November and it's those lifelong Democrats that made up the vast majority of Clinton primary votes.

This kind of sums it all up doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #383
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I suppose a family dinner with George wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #384
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:59 PM
The orange douche announces his VP pick (of another slightly orange guy) via Twitter. Classy as ever!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #385
Blue Crack Supplier

womanfish ..

was it you(or iron yuppie) who said you despised Jill Stein?
I just know she's the green candidate.

What do you see wrong with her?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #386
ONE
love, blood, life

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1468604029.841226.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	10784
Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #387
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
womanfish ..

was it you(or iron yuppie) who said you despised Jill Stein?
I just know she's the green candidate.

What do you see wrong with her?
Jill would be ok if she would a campaign on issues. The least I could say of Nader, is that he never based his campaign on using right wing smears against a Democratic Candidate.
Also, from the get go, she seemed to try and piggyback herself onto the Bernie campaign. She was a candidate of a different party, but her social media presence through the primaries was to praise a candidate of a different party (Bernie) while making visciously right-wing talking point attacks on Hillary.
Then for the topper, she says, hey Bernie, be MY running mate! LOL. When that didn't work. Hey Bernie, I'll step down and YOU can run third party!
JESUS. It became obvious she has no intention of actually being a serious change maker, she became an anti-hillary zealot.

Then, when Bernie does the right thing, and endorses Clinton, she goes after him.

Her resume reads like a trail of tears. I mean, if you applied for a job and your resume was a list of all the jobs you've applied for but DIDN'T get, how would that work out for you?

It may seem old fashioned, but I DO like a candidate based in reality. A read through of her "platform" sounds like a mix of about half of what Hillary is proposing, and half sounds like a conversation around a drum circle/sweat lodge.
Hillary did more in her first few years after college than she has done in a lifetime.

Where would our country be right now if Ralph Nader hadn't gotten enough votes in Florida (and NH) to hand to election to Bush?

would 9/11 have even happened? Even if it had, would the aftermath of it, Invasion of Iraq, which spurred on the crippling debt, the rise of terror groups, etc.. have happened? I don't think so.

Idealism is great. But being a spoiler that ends up bringing down a viable candidate with real progressive ideas and the ability to get them done is not ok in my book. In fact, in may be the least progressive thing you could do.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #388
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
This kind of sums it all up doesn't it?
I think so. And it's exactly the key reason why I think Sanders would do better. Nobody that supports Clinton would not vote for Sanders in November.

They allowed Sanders to run in their primary and if he won, that would have been on them. Clinton wasn't entitled to the nomination simply because she'd been with the party virtually her entire adult life, but the most fanatical of Sanders supporters should have realized how hard it would be to defeat someone with so much support among the party's voters and its internal machine.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #389
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
I think so. And it's exactly the key reason why I think Sanders would do better. Nobody that supports Clinton would not vote for Sanders in November.

They allowed Sanders to run in their primary and if he won, that would have been on them. Clinton wasn't entitled to the nomination simply because she'd been with the party virtually her entire adult life, but the most fanatical of Sanders supporters should have realized how hard it would be to defeat someone with so much support among the party's voters and its internal machine.
I'm a Clinton voter and would have needed a lot of selling to vote for Sanders in November. I obviously would never vote for Trump but Sanders scared me as well. I may have ended up coming around to him, but not 100% sure on that. I know others that feel the same way.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #390
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
He's not for sale, but I bet he followed that sentence by asking you for money.