2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Just careless. Super careless. The best careless.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #137
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
No charges against Clinton.
I really do wonder how many people honestly thought that charges would be pressed.
Well, how many sane people thought that any charges would be pressed.

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #138
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I really do wonder how many people honestly thought that charges would be pressed.
Lots.

Quote:
Well, how many sane people thought that any charges would be pressed.

Very few.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Clinton was utterly reckless and massively arrogant in doing what she did, but she's still the best candidate for president. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

What I wonder is if she truly realized what she was doing. I mean, why did the Secretaries before her do it too. Makes me wonder. The only time I've ever sent a work email to my personal account was in cases when a remote connection was unreliable.

Not trying to make excuses or anything. Just strikes me as odd that someone would openly choose to that without good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
What I wonder is if she truly realized what she was doing. I mean, why did the Secretaries before her do it too. Makes me wonder. The only time I've ever sent a work email to my personal account was in cases when a remote connection was unreliable.

Not trying to make excuses or anything. Just strikes me as odd that someone would openly choose to that without good reason.
The use of private email accounts by government executives for official business was a fairly common practice. One reason is that it prevents the release of the emails under Freedom of Information Act requests.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

She wanted to have control over the process and have privacy that the transparency of a government e-mail address wouldn't allow...that much is obvious. Would she have been so intent on doing it if she weren't planning to run for President? Perhaps not.

I guess I can still hope her health issues act up before the convention.

"How DARE you, BigMac!"

Yawn. If you support drone strikes, you support the active killing of human beings. Wishing someone would just get sick for the benefit of the American people is hardly on the same level as actively murdering other people, regardless of their crimes. Clinton and her followers are the sick ones.

There's stll time. There's still time.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #143
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Blah blah blah I try too hard, blah blah blah I don't understand the issues blah blah I love the strawman

Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You support murder and I don't.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #145
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
You support murder and I don't.

Yep, but only if it weeds out the idiots.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #146
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
We are three weeks away from the DNC and Philadelphia's regional rail system just lost a third of its trains to mechanical problems over the weekend. It's gonna get ugly.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #147
War Child

2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

It's important to not continually conflate "private email account" with "private email server."

The two concepts are quite different, imply entirely different motivations, and should result in wildly different responses.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

True. And she had the latter which means she wanted full control over everything. The other Secretaries of State that she constantly brings up in defense didn't have a fucking server sitting in their basement. Having one of those in your house doesn't seem "convenient".
Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #149
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Private email servers are quite common, do you really expect her to use a gmail account when emailing from home or in travel?

This whole thing is a scam. Cybersecurity is a real threat and honestly we are extremely behind when it comes to this threat. BUT email, no matter what server is an extremely vulnerable form of communication, unless you eliminate all government employees from emailing out of the office, from their phones or only TO certain people then the issue isn't security; it's fucking politics.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #150
War Child

2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Private email servers are quite common, do you really expect her to use a gmail account when emailing from home or in travel?

This whole thing is a scam. Cybersecurity is a real threat and honestly we are extremely behind when it comes to this threat. BUT email, no matter what server is an extremely vulnerable form of communication, unless you eliminate all government employees from emailing out of the office, from their phones or only TO certain people then the issue isn't security; it's fucking politics.

A private email server, a gmail account, and an email account on a government server are not all equivalent in terms of security. The distinctions matter, and it's utterly exhausting listening to the mental gymnastics Clinton supporters will go through in order to avoid whatever cognitive dissonance would result from admitting that they support a candidate who, as far as we can rationally assume, behaved astronomically stupidly, at best. The obscurantism on this issue is embarrassing. This isn't really aimed at you, BVS, but at people diminishing this issue in general

No, gmail accounts, government servers, and private servers are not equal in terms of security. Neither are the distinctions minor. If an understanding of the wide range of network security measures that are used won't prove this point, James Coney's specific reference to the fact that her server was less secure than gmail should.

No, private email servers are not particularly common among private citizens. An an email account like me@mywebsite.com is not necessarily the same thing as a private email server.

If we simply operate under the assumption that it *is* a mainly political concern at the heart of this issue, this does absolutely nothing to minimize the importance of the difference between her using a private email account and a private email server.

The main argument which keeps popping up is how some might use a personal email account for convenience, or on accident, or for a plethora of reasons you or I might use such an account in relation to our work lives.

This is an entirely unconnected point. The only reason to use a private email *server* is secrecy. If she would've used a gmail account, or a government account, we wouldn't have innumerable irrecoverable emails. I don't understand how this point gets brushed away.

You either have to give some plausible reason Hillary Clinton would go through the trouble of creating private email servers -- servers she then physically took with her to foreign countries -- which has nothing to do with hiding actions she took as the Secretary of State from the people who entrusted her with such a position, or you have to argue that it isn't important that she hid actions she took as the Secretary of State from the people who entrusted her with that position.

I don't really see a third option.