2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: nyc
Posts: 52,832
Local Time: 06:05 AM
Just careless. Super careless. The best careless.
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #137
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 21,977
Local Time: 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
No charges against Clinton.
I really do wonder how many people honestly thought that charges would be pressed.
Well, how many sane people thought that any charges would be pressed.
__________________

__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now  
Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #138
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 12,977
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I really do wonder how many people honestly thought that charges would be pressed.
Lots.

Quote:
Well, how many sane people thought that any charges would be pressed.

Very few.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,841
Local Time: 04:05 AM
Clinton was utterly reckless and massively arrogant in doing what she did, but she's still the best candidate for president. Sigh.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
digitize is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Fez
Posts: 24,070
Local Time: 05:05 AM
What I wonder is if she truly realized what she was doing. I mean, why did the Secretaries before her do it too. Makes me wonder. The only time I've ever sent a work email to my personal account was in cases when a remote connection was unreliable.

Not trying to make excuses or anything. Just strikes me as odd that someone would openly choose to that without good reason.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
mikal is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,881
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
What I wonder is if she truly realized what she was doing. I mean, why did the Secretaries before her do it too. Makes me wonder. The only time I've ever sent a work email to my personal account was in cases when a remote connection was unreliable.

Not trying to make excuses or anything. Just strikes me as odd that someone would openly choose to that without good reason.
The use of private email accounts by government executives for official business was a fairly common practice. One reason is that it prevents the release of the emails under Freedom of Information Act requests.
__________________
ntalwar is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,970
Local Time: 05:05 AM
She wanted to have control over the process and have privacy that the transparency of a government e-mail address wouldn't allow...that much is obvious. Would she have been so intent on doing it if she weren't planning to run for President? Perhaps not.

I guess I can still hope her health issues act up before the convention.

"How DARE you, BigMac!"

Yawn. If you support drone strikes, you support the active killing of human beings. Wishing someone would just get sick for the benefit of the American people is hardly on the same level as actively murdering other people, regardless of their crimes. Clinton and her followers are the sick ones.

There's stll time. There's still time.
__________________
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #143
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 39,162
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Blah blah blah I try too hard, blah blah blah I don't understand the issues blah blah I love the strawman


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,970
Local Time: 05:05 AM
You support murder and I don't.
__________________
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #145
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 39,162
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
You support murder and I don't.

Yep, but only if it weeds out the idiots.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 07-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #146
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,395
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
We are three weeks away from the DNC and Philadelphia's regional rail system just lost a third of its trains to mechanical problems over the weekend. It's gonna get ugly.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #147
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 661
Local Time: 04:05 AM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

It's important to not continually conflate "private email account" with "private email server."

The two concepts are quite different, imply entirely different motivations, and should result in wildly different responses.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Caleb8844 is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,970
Local Time: 05:05 AM
True. And she had the latter which means she wanted full control over everything. The other Secretaries of State that she constantly brings up in defense didn't have a fucking server sitting in their basement. Having one of those in your house doesn't seem "convenient".
__________________
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #149
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 39,162
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Private email servers are quite common, do you really expect her to use a gmail account when emailing from home or in travel?

This whole thing is a scam. Cybersecurity is a real threat and honestly we are extremely behind when it comes to this threat. BUT email, no matter what server is an extremely vulnerable form of communication, unless you eliminate all government employees from emailing out of the office, from their phones or only TO certain people then the issue isn't security; it's fucking politics.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #150
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 661
Local Time: 04:05 AM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Private email servers are quite common, do you really expect her to use a gmail account when emailing from home or in travel?

This whole thing is a scam. Cybersecurity is a real threat and honestly we are extremely behind when it comes to this threat. BUT email, no matter what server is an extremely vulnerable form of communication, unless you eliminate all government employees from emailing out of the office, from their phones or only TO certain people then the issue isn't security; it's fucking politics.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

A private email server, a gmail account, and an email account on a government server are not all equivalent in terms of security. The distinctions matter, and it's utterly exhausting listening to the mental gymnastics Clinton supporters will go through in order to avoid whatever cognitive dissonance would result from admitting that they support a candidate who, as far as we can rationally assume, behaved astronomically stupidly, at best. The obscurantism on this issue is embarrassing. This isn't really aimed at you, BVS, but at people diminishing this issue in general

No, gmail accounts, government servers, and private servers are not equal in terms of security. Neither are the distinctions minor. If an understanding of the wide range of network security measures that are used won't prove this point, James Coney's specific reference to the fact that her server was less secure than gmail should.

No, private email servers are not particularly common among private citizens. An an email account like me@mywebsite.com is not necessarily the same thing as a private email server.

If we simply operate under the assumption that it *is* a mainly political concern at the heart of this issue, this does absolutely nothing to minimize the importance of the difference between her using a private email account and a private email server.

The main argument which keeps popping up is how some might use a personal email account for convenience, or on accident, or for a plethora of reasons you or I might use such an account in relation to our work lives.

This is an entirely unconnected point. The only reason to use a private email *server* is secrecy. If she would've used a gmail account, or a government account, we wouldn't have innumerable irrecoverable emails. I don't understand how this point gets brushed away.

You either have to give some plausible reason Hillary Clinton would go through the trouble of creating private email servers -- servers she then physically took with her to foreign countries -- which has nothing to do with hiding actions she took as the Secretary of State from the people who entrusted her with such a position, or you have to argue that it isn't important that she hid actions she took as the Secretary of State from the people who entrusted her with that position.

I don't really see a third option.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
Caleb8844 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com