2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a morbidly obese crack addict who worked a high-stress job and was known to hang out constantly with murderers, drug dealers, and gang members?

Just speaking in general, obviously Mr. Ford's lifestyle was far from healthy. Whether that directly led to his cancer or not I don't know. Its still unfortunate to see someone pass at that age.

For a morbidly obese crack addict who worked a high-stress job and was known to hang out constantly with murderers, drug dealers, and gang members?

I don't know why but that description of him is so accurate that I kinda laughed.

He beat his wife and kids regularly, drove drunk with his children in the car, screwed a hooker while forcing his wife to watch, and has been directly implicated in at least one attempted murder. It's really not that unfortunate that he's gone.

I disagree. Surely they are devastated now, but they're also unquestionably better off in the long run without him in their lives (barring some hypothetical future "come to Jesus" epiphany that totally changed everything he fundamentally was as a person).

Last edited:
He beat his wife and kids regularly, drove drunk with his children in the car, screwed a hooker while forcing his wife to watch, and has been directly implicated in at least one attempted murder. It's really not that unfortunate that he's gone.
you could have just wrote he was Canadian.

6HkJ5pJ.gif

Last edited:
it's interesting that song Bernie's rally play when he exited was Starman. Bernie has some killer song choices.

Last edited:
Ted Cruz today on CNN did two things that I believe are noteworthy in his defense of his wife against Trump's threats.

First off, he actually stole part of his statement verbatim from Michael Douglas in The American President, which is awesome. If we ever face an invasion, I hope he quotes Bill Pullman.

Secondly... when talking of how great his wife was, the first thing he said was that she was the daughter of missionaries to Africa.

So the favorite thing about his wife is that her parents tried to get brown people to obey the one true spaghetti monster... which, ya know, is fucking scary.

Trump has that I don't give a fuck what you think racism. Ted has the backhanded subtle kinda racism. Either way, it's all the same.

Oh, and fuck Ted Cruz.

It's starting to look like Sanders will actually get closer to his delegate target by the end of the primaries than Trump will. Sanders is currently at 89% of where he needs to be according to the 538 targets while Trump is at 96%...while Sanders has a ton of favorable states on the way and Cruz is creeping up on Trump in the polls now that there's hardly anybody left in the race.

Also problematic, early voting. Rubio and the other no-longer-candidates were running neck-and-neck with Cruz in Arizona's results. That's a huge chunk of wasted votes. The same issue has been occurring in the Democratic primary where Sanders has beaten Clinton in same-day primary voting in every state outside of the deep south. Unfortunately for him, tons of voters have already checked the box next to Clinton's name weeks before Sanders starts airing ads and making personal appearances in a given state. More than a little unfair to have people voting before they even know who you are...

It's starting to look like Sanders will actually get closer to his delegate target by the end of the primaries than Trump will. Sanders is currently at 89% of where he needs to be according to the 538 targets while Trump is at 96%...while Sanders has a ton of favorable states on the way and Cruz is creeping up on Trump in the polls now that there's hardly anybody left in the race.

Also problematic, early voting. Rubio and the other no-longer-candidates were running neck-and-neck with Cruz in Arizona's results. That's a huge chunk of wasted votes. The same issue has been occurring in the Democratic primary where Sanders has beaten Clinton in same-day primary voting in every state outside of the deep south. Unfortunately for him, tons of voters have already checked the box next to Clinton's name weeks before Sanders starts airing ads and making personal appearances in a given state. More than a little unfair to have people voting before they even know who you are...

it can't be unfair, if people are stupid enough to vote early when events and candidates could change things up before one has to decide.

I am seeing it differently than you, time will soon tell which of us is more correct

I was thinking Trump would be at 1000 delegates by the end of April. Looking into this more, each state party has their own fucked up way of assigning the delegates, Trump will easily win Penn., but delegates are awarded per district on a slate vote? how stupid is that??

As for Bernie, I don't believe he will get the delegates, but his chances are improving because Hillary's indictment is more probable each day, her best hope is they can stall it until after the convention and maybe even the election. I would not put it pass a lame-duck Obama to give her a blanket pardon like Ford gave Nixon, with some bullshit speech, like a trial would tear the country apart and serve no real purpose for a simple lapse in judgement.

(hi Mack, Bernie has a shot, keep Berning hope alive!)

Last edited:

Early voting is unfair? No, it's the fairest way to get the most people out to vote. You don't think that people who vote early, do research? It's not like the campaign hasn't been going on forever. Everyone knows where the candidates stand at this point. Obviously, nothing Hillary says will change your mind, right? So if your state offered early voting, wouldn't it make sense for you to vote. This way you don't chance getting sick on election day, or more commonly, extremely long lines.

his point was that people early voted for Rubio and then Rubio dropped out of the race
so those people had no chance to vote for one of the remaining three candidates in the race.

If people early voted for O'Malley and he got 8% and he dropped out, and Hillary or Bernie won by 1/2 per cent the loser would be claiming they got robbed of a win.

his point was that people early voted for Rubio and then Rubio dropped out of the race
so those people had no chance to vote for one of the remaining three candidates in the race.

If people early voted for O'Malley and he got 8% and he dropped out, and Hillary or Bernie won by 1/2 per cent the loser would be claiming they got robbed of a win.

That was one of his points, but the second was that people were voting before they got to go to a local Bernie event and be swayed.

I'm all for every possible avenue to make voting easier...and we all know why one particular party is against that. My point is really with the voters and why on earth they would feel it so important to get behind someone in a primary weeks before an election when a lot can change.

In the case of Sanders vs. Clinton, there's really only two options, so it isn't much of a head-scratcher. However, it's clearly evident that plenty of people voting for Clinton don't even know who Sanders is...over and over I would read on-the-ground articles on the day of the South Carolina primary with people saying they don't know who Sanders is...after all of those advertisements, appearances and debates. Most voters simply don't pay attention.

Perhaps that's part of the reason why Trump and Clinton have done so well despite having the most negative approval ratings in polls...that sort of name recognition is just damn hard to top.

he's right
if I went to a Bernie event I could easily be swayed by free college
especially after watching an episode of 'Dorms Gone Wild' is there an age limit on that 'free college'?

Free college is hardly a pie-in-the-sky dream given that so many other major countries provide free or nearly-free public universities. Said nations don't waste so much proportionally on the military industrial complex or have an extremely low effective tax rate on their wealthiest earners...

It's all about priorities.

It's all about priorities.

it's scaring me that my home country (Japan) is starting to do trickle-down economics-esque fiscal plans and gov't are starting to cut welfare and all that. College are becoming expensive and middle class is shrinking, though it used to be that Japan consisted of large middle/working class.

given that, I told my mom about Bernie's plans (basically making US like Scandinavian country and expand welfare/free education) and she said, "why doesn't everyone want that?", which sounded weirdly ironic as he was hugely underdog at that point.

In the case of Sanders vs. Clinton, there's really only two options, so it isn't much of a head-scratcher. However, it's clearly evident that plenty of people voting for Clinton don't even know who Sanders is

you win this one hands down!!

there are people in here I consider to be be reasonably informed and rational? posters, not they we have to agree with our positions,
all i ask for is some good reasoning behind an opinion

all that said, two of these people wrote something like, "I not sure what Sanders positions are really, I just think Hillary is blah, blah, blah"

So, BMP, you are right.

If you want these changes, which I do line up with Bernie on, there needs to be a focus on congress. If Bernie were to get into the WH, he wouldn't get anything done, even from his own side.

The change has to come from below the Executive Branch. Otherwise all the Bernie Bro's will turn on him like they did with Obama.

For me, it's the pie in the sky dreaming that turns me off. Change doesn't just happen over night, it takes time. The fastest change I've seen is with marriage equality, so it can happen....but don't think that's the new standard.

Civil rights took decades, turning the USA into a more socialized country would take much longer than a single term.

There's also such a thing as *earned* media. See: Trump, Donald.

If people don't know who you are, maybe it's your own fault?

but delegates are awarded per district on a slate vote? how stupid is that??

Delegates being awarded by congressional district at all seems insane to me. I think the best example of how this is ridiculous is that the South Bronx gets its own GOP delegate... the South Bronx has probably, what, 1000 Republicans in it? The place gave 96% of its votes to Obama in 2012. Those voters have *incredibly* large power in the GOP primary over pretty much everyone else in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

However, it's clearly evident that plenty of people voting for Clinton don't even know who Sanders is...over and over I would read on-the-ground articles on the day of the South Carolina primary with people saying they don't know who Sanders is...after all of those advertisements, appearances and debates. Most voters simply don't pay attention.

What?! There's someone running against Clinton? This is news to me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom