2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when we said that about Abbott?

Remember when we said that about Barnaby and the Nationals' leadership?

Remember when we said that about Campbell and the Queensland premiership? (Kieran might, anyway.)

Don't fucking discount anything in our mad post-Rudd political era. We are fortunate to lack the hyper-religiosity of mainstream American politics, but I'm not sure the path we're treading is that dissimilar.

Remember when we said Abbott would never be prime minister again, for the second time?

The United States and it's political leanings can not be compared to any one country. We're more like all of Europe combined, so you'll find pockets of the country that are very much to the left and pockets that are far to the right.

Generally speaking the younger generations (40 or so and under) are moving in the direction of being godless liberals, while the baby boomers and beyond have become staunchly Republican thanks to Sean Hannity's dreamy eyes and come hither voice.

Obviously there are exceptions on both sides of the generational divide, but that's generally where things are headed... Although it'll take a bit longer in fly over country.

The only thing keeping the socially reprehensible GOP alive (and this go around has them on life support nationally) is that the baby boomer + generation vote in droves, while the younger generations are too busy with their pot and bisexual orgies to be bothered.

I can't believe you guys still have your elections on a workday rather than at the weekend. We, and I think most other advanced democracies, moved away from weekday elections decades upon decades ago. The idea of an election being any day other than a Saturday is mystifying.

If we voted on a Saturday in November, voter turnout in a state like Alabama would be about 6.9% while everyone else watched the Bama/Lsu game.

Generally speaking the younger generations (40 or so and under) are moving in the direction of being godless liberals, while the baby boomers and beyond have become staunchly Republican thanks to Sean Hannity's dreamy eyes and come hither voice.
"If you're 25 and you're not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 35 and you're not a conservative, you have no brain."

Yeah, and those polls are just as predictive and accurate as going and pulling up RCP and looking at whatever latest poll came out.

There's no conspiracy of hidden information out there. They know as much as you know, if you just read the sources.

The RCP polls are mainly at the national level, whereas private polling can be far more granular - e.g. down to the precinct level, and issues by precinct. National level obviously ignores the electoral college. Someone is paying them big bucks, so their data must be more valuable than the free polls.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1457023759.486520.jpg
This is a totally normal way to take a pic with your daughter....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The RCP polls are mainly at the national level, whereas private polling can be far more granular - e.g. down to the precinct level, and issues by precinct. National level obviously ignores the electoral college. Someone is paying them big bucks, so their data must be more valuable than the free polls.

Right, and this is back to my original point: those polls that are down to the precinct level... they don't exist if there's no ground game. Nobody has insight about "granular" (I like that term) numbers in, say, California with respects to the general election. Why? Because those numbers are currently meaningless. The highest level of visibility would be California's primary, on a regional scale.

There's nothing they know about Trump's chances that we don't. Given the random nature of his campaign, that shakes things up even more because they can't really work with predictive, historical information.

I'm happy that Mittens is attacking Trump, but it highlights a bit to me just how phony Mittens's 2012 campaign was. Trump is right, in a sense: Romney was praising Trump in 2012 for an endorsement.

I suppose I choose to believe that Mittens is a decent man in his natural state, and a relatively moderate Republican. Like McCain, he sold out to win the GOP nomination. Maybe this is a bit of redemption.

I think our only hope at this point is the Dems not voting in the Primaries come out to vote in the General and that moderate Republicans and independents either vote Democrat or stay home. The GOP "leadership" has lost control of their party and they only have themselves to blame.

I'm not nearly as excited for Hillary as a candidate as I was for Obama in '08, but if Trump is the nominee, I will be volunteering. A Trump presidency would be a disaster.

Trump's biggest challenge with the republicans is getting conservatives to vote for him, not moderates. He does very well with moderates.

Republicans really don't have a choice but to go with my strategic plan...and they surely won't, even if prominent people mention it. If you just let Trump win Ohio and Florida by a single vote, this thing is over immediately. The only path forward for Cruz, Rubio and Kasich is to stop Trump in his tracks and that would require ensuring that Rubio wins Florida and Kasich wins Ohio.

I mean, hell, at the very least, Kasich and Cruz should be going nowhere near Florida until after March 15th and the same for Cruz and Rubio in Ohio. Take down all your ads, don't lobby for endorsements in those states, etc.

Trump's biggest challenge with the republicans is getting conservatives to vote for him, not moderates. He does very well with moderates.

This is what one would think given his stances, but he's done a good job fooling the far right. Everything the Tea Party was apparently railing against for the past 8 years. Everything they've tried to pin on Obama, Donald actually is. But he hates the right people, he's white, and he placed an R behind his name, so all their "principles" are thrown out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom