2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #766
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I think it was Irvine a few pages back who asked what evidence there is that anyone outside of the current Trump enthusiasts will be won over to his side. And that is a salient question that bears repeating.

There is nothing to suggest that this will be a case of a critical mass of sheep flocking to a hate-monger. What allowed for that in Germany was the horrendous economic conditions, conditions that were infinitely worse than anything we have seen in the USA since the Great Depression. If you want to talk about "context," that is the most substantial issue at play here.

We're obviously not talking about his presidency, just his campaign and his followers.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 03-18-2016, 12:14 AM   #767
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting that Trump is Hitler exactly. It's just that the prospect of electing someone to be president who has even a little bit in common with Hitler(or anyone else like him) is scary.

I am convinced that so much of his campaign has been a lie. His supposed deep Christianity. His anti-Muslim rhetoric. Even the anti-Mexican stuff. Even the decision to run as a Republican. This guy has been in the public eye for decades. And if you listen to anything he's said politically, publicly, at least until Obama came into office, there's very little, imo, to suggest he was anything other than a socially liberal, fiscally conservative/self-serving blue-dog 'third-way' democrat. I was actually surprised when he started his birther stuff about Obama years ago.

But despite this he's running as Christian, authoritarian Republican, using racism and bigotry to harness the anger already present in the electorate for the purposes of acquiring the most powerful office in the country.

In other words, he's willing to throw away what's left of any ideology or principle he ever had, and tell lie after lie in front of the entire nation, all while promoting worship of himself and violence against those that don't worship him, all in the pursuit of power.

This isn't scary to you guys? This isn't ringing at least some bells for you guys?

I personally think there's a good chance that if Trump were elected, he'd turn his back on his base of angry white men very quickly and become the moderate centrist he's always been, but there's still a chance I could be wrong, and that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #768
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post

Speaking of Ted Cruz:

BREAKING: A Ted Cruz SEX SCANDAL Appears To Be Looming?

Probably nothing to it, of course, however it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Or, as i would normally say, Fuck Ted Cruz (though not literally)()

Didn't read. Just Figured he cheated his bundling bag.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:21 AM   #769
Refugee

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
The better comparison might be George Wallace.

George Wallace's 1968 campaign manager did a Skype call with my racial politics class a few weeks ago and pretty much said that Trump is the modern day Wallace.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:28 AM   #770
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
he's running as Christian, authoritarian Republican, using racism and bigotry to harness the anger already present in the electorate for the purposes of acquiring the most powerful office in the country.

In other words, he's willing to throw away what's left of any ideology or principle he ever had, and tell lie after lie in front of the entire nation, all while promoting worship of himself and violence against those that don't worship him, all in the pursuit of power.

This isn't scary to you guys?
This. It's like I've been saying for a long time now, I don't care whether his entire campaign thus far has been an epic trolling of the GOP or a legit thing. The fact remains that he's been, and still is, riling up some of the uglier aspects of our society and giving them a voice, and legitimizing their beliefs, and that is terrifying, and should've been more than enough reason for him to have been kicked out of this race EONS ago.

Even if he doesn't win the nomination or presidency, it's still deeply troubling, because now that those people feel their views have been taken seriously by someone, who knows what they could do next?
Old 03-18-2016, 01:46 AM   #771
War Child

Hitler himself couldn't be 1939 Hitler today. However, I think what BVS might be getting at is that if Hitler WERE around today, he might look something like Trump. This seems like a fair point to me.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:50 AM   #772
Blue Crack Addict

In any case, Trump isn't anywhere near as smart as Hitler was. He's been debating against idiots to this point, and Hillary is going to make him look like a fool. In the end, it's going to be a landslide like we haven't seen in a long time.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #773
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
But it's not even close. It isn't 19 fucking 39.
No, it isn't. But before 1939 there was 1933. We're not suggesting that after 8 years of Trump being in power there'll be death camps for Mexicans & muslims. But the way Trump is using racist rhetoric and now threatening with violence (by mobilizing his supporters) should he not be the Republican nominee (and who knows, President at the end of the year) should set off some alarms. It should not be tolerated, IMO.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #774
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I think it was Irvine a few pages back who asked what evidence there is that anyone outside of the current Trump enthusiasts will be won over to his side. And that is a salient question that bears repeating.
When the alternative is Hillary Clinton, I think you would be surprised. Some here are underestimating how weak of a candidate she is.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #775
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 03-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #776
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
The people who are for Trump don't care about his 'missteps'. They simply do not care.
Quote:
The people who are for **insert your guy/gal here** don't care about their 'missteps'. They simply do not care.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #777
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
When the alternative is Hillary Clinton, I think you would be surprised. Some here are underestimating how weak of a candidate she is.

While I agree that Hillary has considerable weaknesses, I think a lot of the "everybody hates her" thought is more a result of 25 years of disinformation disseminated by the anti-Hillary industry. And it is an industry. She has a pretty good track record when it comes to elections -- a big part of 2 successful presidential campaigns, 2 very successful Senate campaigns, she actually got more votes than Barack Obama in the 2008 primary, and had she been the nominee, it seems that her odds of beating McCain were as good as Obama's. I find charges like "liar" and "seriously unlikeable" more about the conditioning we've all undergone since 1992 than anything concrete.

She has issues as a politician, and she admits as such. But I don't see the evidence that anyone, beyond a core segment of the GOP base, actually *hates* her.

For me, indictment is my biggest worry about her. Followed by other concerns we've all discussed. I think Hillary's weaknesses have been covered in depth in here.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #778
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Hitler himself couldn't be 1939 Hitler today. However, I think what BVS might be getting at is that if Hitler WERE around today, he might look something like Trump. This seems like a fair point to me.

Like, with Adolph's own line of steaks, wine, and a travel magazine
Old 03-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #779
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I find charges like "liar" and "seriously unlikeable" more about the conditioning we've all undergone since 1992 than anything concrete.

She has issues as a politician, and she admits as such. But I don't see the evidence that anyone, beyond a core segment of the GOP base, actually *hates* her.
I'm not sure about conditioning over here, but Clinton being "seriously unlikeable" is not particularly outlandish. My thoughts on her these days are that I struggle to even tag her with the "lesser evil" label.

And how relevant really is her admission of her own issues if she unapologetically palls around with Kissinger, for example?

She is not a good person no matter how much you would like to spin it.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #780
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I'm not sure about conditioning over here, but Clinton being "seriously unlikeable" is not particularly outlandish. My thoughts on her these days are that I struggle to even tag her with the "lesser evil" label.

And how relevant really is her admission of her own issues if she unapologetically palls around with Kissinger, for example?

She is not a good person no matter how much you would like to spin it.

That's enough, Vlad.