2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #616
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Donald Trump has gone too far...again. Apparently he likes his steaks...gasp. Well Done! What kind of monster likes well done steaks! I weep for all the perfectly good meat he's ruined.

Donald Trump's taste for well-done steaks is disqualifying - Vox
Are you surprised? Remember, this is the man Jon Stewart went Full Rant on, after learning Trump ate his New York pizza with a fork and knife.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #617
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:27 AM
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #618
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,090
Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Are you surprised? Remember, this is the man Jon Stewart went Full Rant on, after learning Trump ate his New York pizza with a fork and knife.
What a monster.
__________________
trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #619
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,378
Local Time: 10:27 AM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Are you surprised? Remember, this is the man Jon Stewart went Full Rant on, after learning Trump ate his New York pizza with a fork and knife.

I believe that was the very same rant that Stewart went off on him for having Famiglia and citing it as real New York pizza or something like that? Or was that George W. Bush?
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #620
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 6,626
Local Time: 10:27 AM
it's so wrong to eat pizza with fork and knife. just sayin'
__________________
Mack_Again is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #621
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
It's what makes my vote mean more than everyone else's here.
Except for mine. I'm in Ohio.

The national bellwether. The last time a president won a general election without winning Ohio was JFK in 1960.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #622
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,378
Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Except for mine. I'm in Ohio.



The national bellwether. The last time a president won a general election without winning Ohio was JFK in 1960.

Move aside, we took over in 2000
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #623
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 10:27 AM
Regarding the electoral college, its original purpose was to ensure that states with smaller populations would be guaranteed a certain amount of 'say' in elections, so that states with bigger populations couldn't just dictate everything to the states with fewer people.

I'm not sure you can say it worked though, because the states that have the most power in the electoral college - swing states Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, maybe even North Carolina, and party locks California(Dem), New York(Dem), Texas(Rep), and Georgia(Rep) - are all in the top ten states by population. So it's still the most populous states that wield the most power. Although it's possible that they could wield even more power and the less populous states even less power if presidents were elected by a popular vote.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #624
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 6,626
Local Time: 10:27 AM
I sometimes can't really tell whether founding fathers were genius or bumbling idiots.
__________________
Mack_Again is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #625
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:27 AM
It seems that most of you that take time to post in here think that Trump would be a bad President. Forefront at his campaign and still up front in his platform is to secure the border. To build a wall and prevent people and contraband from coming into the country not monitored.

There are three ways that people or contraband can come into the U S not monitored. Through our airports, our sea ports and harbors or across our land borders. Of the three, the land border is the least secure. Would it be ok US customs at the airports let 30 % of people get by customs without screening and approval? The port authority, coast guard and harbor patrol do a good job preventing contraband. If they had a 40% failure rate would you say that was ok??
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #626
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,378
Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
It seems that most of you that take time to post in here think that Trump would be a bad President. Forefront at his campaign and still up front in his platform is to secure the border. To build a wall and prevent people and contraband from coming into the country not monitored.



There are three ways that people or contraband can come into the U S not monitored. Through our airports, our sea ports and harbors or across our land borders. Of the three, the land border is the least secure. Would it be ok US customs at the airports let 30 % of people get by customs without screening and approval? The port authority, coast guard and harbor patrol do a good job preventing contraband. If they had a 40% failure rate would you say that was ok??

Do you know how much shit is smuggled on cargo ships and airplanes?
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #627
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Regarding the electoral college, its original purpose was to ensure that states with smaller populations would be guaranteed a certain amount of 'say' in elections, so that states with bigger populations couldn't just dictate everything to the states with fewer people.

I'm not sure you can say it worked though, because the states that have the most power in the electoral college - swing states Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, maybe even North Carolina, and party locks California(Dem), New York(Dem), Texas(Rep), and Georgia(Rep) - are all in the top ten states by population. So it's still the most populous states that wield the most power. Although it's possible that they could wield even more power and the less populous states even less power if presidents were elected by a popular vote.

This makes no sense talking about power, the power should be with each vote. The US is not the UN with each state a member that should have an equal say. The electoral college gives way too much power to smaller states.

All those jerk-offs were doing in 1770s - 1780s is the same thing the jerk-offs are doing today. Trying to stack it where it works out in their best interest to the best extent possible. And leave a way to change it if they don't like it.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #628
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Do you know how much shit is smuggled on cargo ships and airplanes?
I think it is safe to say that a lot more contraband comes over the unsecured border than what gets by authorities at airports and harbors.

Of the millions of undocumented immigrants in the U S what per cent came over the border vs container ships?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #629
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 10:27 AM
Plus drug-smuggling operations that take place on the southern border very often use tunnels, which a wall would do nothing to stop. And most illegal immigration now is in the form of people come in legally via tourist visas and the like and then just never leave, which, again, a wall would do nothing to stop.

I have long felt that the true problem with immigration lies in the legal immigration system.

Financially, it can cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars to get and keep a green card, much less become a citizen, when you take into account the base fees to file the paperwork, immigration lawyer fees, etc. People come over the border who have little money and are looking a better life, and I'm guessing that they often don't have the money to pay for the process of becoming legal. If you want to cut down on illegal aliens, don't price them out of the legal process.

The length of the process is also a problem. It takes years sometimes, people have a hard time finding out where in the process they are, what their legal status is at any given time. I have a relative who married someone from a different country(in Europe). Because of their marriage, she was able to come and stay right away, but from the time she started the citizenship process to the day she became a citizen, it was almost six years.

By many accounts legal immigration is a tedious, lengthy, confusing, and often prohibitively expensive process that I would think frustrates a lot of people into breaking the rules. I mean, come on, if there are people who have been here illegally for years and years, decades even, and they've never done anything illegal or wrong other than being here illegally, and they're clearly not criminals, then you have to ask yourself why they came illegally in the first place.

Hell, even if you come in with a tourist visa and you end up just wanting to extend it for a while longer, I'm not sure there's an easy way to do it.

I've felt for a while that the way you fix illegal immigration is by fixing legal immigration, and that doesn't have anything to do with a wall.

And even if the wall was the answer, I can't see any defense for supporting someone who promotes that idea by painting Mexicans as rapists and drug lords, and the idea that these illegal immigrants are one of the major reasons for the economic struggles of the white middle and lower classes. I just don't believe this at all and I think it incites bad things in the electorate.

I could go on.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #630
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 09:27 AM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
It seems that most of you that take time to post in here think that Trump would be a bad President. Forefront at his campaign and still up front in his platform is to secure the border. To build a wall and prevent people and contraband from coming into the country not monitored.



There are three ways that people or contraband can come into the U S not monitored. Through our airports, our sea ports and harbors or across our land borders. Of the three, the land border is the least secure. Would it be ok US customs at the airports let 30 % of people get by customs without screening and approval? The port authority, coast guard and harbor patrol do a good job preventing contraband. If they had a 40% failure rate would you say that was ok??

You're absolutely right. He's the first ever to run with that as part of his platform, so my guess is he'll get it done. I mean he has a great plan; build a Great Wall and then bill the neighbors. All of the experts that have been dealing with this issue for decades, and all the TX governors agree; a wall is extremely feasible and the best solution given the terrain and this issue. Trump is a genius to be the first to promise this. He will make us great again.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com