2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I don't recall calling it the most important election of our lifetime and certainly don't feel that it was, but I do remember taking issue with voting third party once it was clear that no third party candidates had a chance in 2012. But yeah, the general election is pretty clearly structured as a one-or-the-other choice in the United States. I'm not a fan of getting cute with that, it's basically throwing your vote away.
You're right, it was someone else who said that.

I will say that I've evolved over the last four years to a point where I'm happy with the direction of the Democratic Party, and would in no circumstances throw my vote away.

But I still stand by the idea that if you're not fundamentally on board with one of your two choices, you're not obliged to pick one or the other. Only in dire cases, like Donald Trump (or, I suppose, Ted Cruz), do I actually advocate voting for the pure sake of not allowing someone to take office. That's because I didn't see Mitt Romney as a *problem*.

In hindsight, though, I woulud've voted for Obama in 2012 given that his second term was far better than his first term.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
When he does drop out, I'm sure no one will even notice.
Pretty sure he already did (according to John Kasich). He's probably keeping hush hush about officially suspending his campaign so that he can borrow the national spotlight to run for a senate seat in Florida.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
My point was that it's no longer the time to act like we're all sure Trump can't win. I don't trust the electorate enough for me to count him out.
The prediction markets at this early stage haven't counted him out either - a Republican still has a 36% chance to win. Knowledge of one's local electorate (important issues, demographic trends, prior turnout, etc.), especially in swing states/counties does make a difference in trusting the electorate imo.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:00 AM
I am proud that Oklahoma went to Bernie Sanders last night. I am equally offended that Oklahoma went for Ted Cruz as well.

Fuck Ted Cruz.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm familiar with his Twitter presence as the old white Canadian guy who thinks he's hip, my understanding beyond that is that he works in the Toronto city government.
Well yeah, he's the deputy Mayor, and has an unpaid "social media intern" that posts silly shit on his twitter account. He hung out with Drake a couple times in the summer and nobody has thought much of him since.

I was just confused at the comparison with Trump, as if he's a constant intolerable presence up here or something.

Whatever, i'm reading too much into a joke. As you were.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #51
45:33

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I really needed this today:

Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Betting markets have been pretty consistent from earlier in the week. Trump's chances remain at around 80%. The main difference is that Rubio fell about 5 points to 14% and Cruz is up to 5%. Those numbers sound reasonable to me.

I think Democrats still prefer to face Trump rather than Rubio (they'd really like to face Cruz though), but I think many in the party are scared right now. As PFan said, Trump's ascencion probably means the election cannot be predicted by historical standards. But Dems have two things going for them: the Republican contest may drag on for some time, and there might be high turnout of people scared that Trump will become the next President.

It's interesting to see where Rubio goes from here. Does he drop out if he loses Florida? He seems to be hanging by a thread right now.

I doubt that Cruz gains much ground, though. He was supposed to do better than he did in the Southern States.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I really needed this today:

Old 03-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Ladies and gentlemen... Governor Chris 'Farva' Christie

Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
You're right, it was someone else who said that.

I will say that I've evolved over the last four years to a point where I'm happy with the direction of the Democratic Party, and would in no circumstances throw my vote away.

But I still stand by the idea that if you're not fundamentally on board with one of your two choices, you're not obliged to pick one or the other. Only in dire cases, like Donald Trump (or, I suppose, Ted Cruz), do I actually advocate voting for the pure sake of not allowing someone to take office. That's because I didn't see Mitt Romney as a *problem*.

In hindsight, though, I woulud've voted for Obama in 2012 given that his second term was far better than his first term.
My thought is more or less this: not voting for the Democrat because you're pissed off they're not your ideal candidate is selfish and ignores those who would be attacked by GOP policies under a Republican president.

I have serious reservations about Hillary, but I'd never dream of not voting for her when the alternative is one of these Republicans.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
My thought is more or less this: not voting for the Democrat because you're pissed off they're not your ideal candidate is selfish and ignores those who would be attacked by GOP policies under a Republican president.

I have serious reservations about Hillary, but I'd never dream of not voting for her when the alternative is one of these Republicans.

But these are two totally different times.

2012 wasn't Obama not being my "ideal candidate." He wasn't my candidate at all. That's the difference. The idea that I "belong" to the Democratic Party, and was merely protesting my vote... that's not true and it's not correct.

Things have changed. Times have changed. I have changed. It's different, now.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #57
45:33

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:

But how are things ever going to start changing for the better if people vote for the lesser of two evils rather than going 'no fuck this I'm voting for Jill Stein' or whoever?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
But Dems have two things going for them: the Republican contest may drag on for some time, and there might be high turnout of people scared that Trump will become the next President.
I think the Republican leadership is panicking because they have access to more detailed polling data and data analytics. I wouldn't be surprised if the turnout (against him) among the many ethnic and religious groups he has offended sets records.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
I think the Republican leadership is panicking because they have access to more detailed polling data and data analytics. I wouldn't be surprised if the turnout (against him) among the many ethnic and religious groups he has offended sets records.

I'm curious as to what you think "more detailed polling data and data analytics" is, and why the republicans would have it?

There's a difference between a campaign, who has ground game in different states and locations, who might have access to internal polling that they don't share. But, on a national level, there's no secret data that exists that the Republican Party has access to that we don't see. The Republican Party is shitting their pants because Donald Trump is about to label them all as racist, xenophobic, and sexist bullies, who use the same rhetoric as Adolph Hitler. And that's going to cause them to lose the senate, and the house. That's why republican leadership is panicking.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Yeah, this election may come down to fear; on one side an ignorant fear of people that don't look or speak like them, on the other a legitimate fear(that's shared by right and left alike) of what a irrational erratic ego will do with that kind of power.

My guess is that more Republicans will turn than Democrats, now if they begrudgingly vote for Clinton, third party, or stay home I don't know.

We shall see

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference