2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But how are things ever going to start changing for the better if people vote for the lesser of two evils rather than going 'no fuck this I'm voting for Jill Stein' or whoever?

I have no idea. But right now, with the Republican party being seriously scary, there's no way I would go rogue and vote for anyone other than the democratic nominee, even if I have to hold my nose.

Get your shit together, conservatives. Nominate someone sane for presidency, ditch the Jesus stuff as a party platform, join the 21st century, and I'd consider it.

All that being said, I would rather someone go and write in a candidate, or vote for some rando third party, rather than stay home and not vote at all. The voting rate in this country is appalling. ( I mean heck, I'd support making it a national holiday so people could get off work and vote, but we all know the right wing would never let that happen, as it might mean a bunch of poor-to-working class people voting Democrat.)

Last edited:
But how are things ever going to start changing for the better if people vote for the lesser of two evils rather than going 'no fuck this I'm voting for Jill Stein' or whoever?
The center's been moving to the right for too long. We need to get it moved back to the left and closer to the rest of the world's center before we can think about things like that.

I'd argue that the primaries are a place where you can get a little experimental with candidates at this time. Third party candidates, however, simply aren't an option.

But how do you get it moved back to the left with a very centrist (from my understanding) president in Hillary Clinton, governing a country with a very loud voice screaming for a lurch to the right, and people on the left becoming more sympathetic to the right because they're so scared of losing votes?

I'm curious as to why you think this?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Not to attempt to answer for peefer, but compare a generic Republican platform (say, Rubio) with a right-wing candidate in any major democracy. Merkel, Cameron and even Sarkozy would be way to the left of that generic Republican. You can actually make the argument that they would be positioned at the left of a Hillary Clinton, too. US politics are unquestionably more conservative than any other major democratic country.

Not to attempt to answer for peefer, but compare a generic Republican platform (say, Rubio) with a right-wing candidate in any major democracy. Merkel, Cameron and even Sarkozy would be way to the left of that generic Republican. You can actually make the argument that they would be positioned at the left of a Hillary Clinton, too. US politics are unquestionably more conservative than any other major democratic country.

Economically, yes. Socially, yes and no. Culturally, no.

I think the Republican leadership is panicking because they have access to more detailed polling data and data analytics. I wouldn't be surprised if the turnout (against him) among the many ethnic and religious groups he has offended sets records.

Yup. And what are they going to do? Deny him the nomination and risk insurrection at the convention? Piss off the white nationalists who then steal headlines and taint the entire party?

They are screwed.

And then there's still the SCOTUS thing.

( I mean heck, I'd support making it a national holiday so people could get off work and vote, but we all know the right wing would never let that happen, as it might mean a bunch of poor-to-working class people voting Democrat.)

I can't believe you guys still have your elections on a workday rather than at the weekend. We, and I think most other advanced democracies, moved away from weekday elections decades upon decades ago. The idea of an election being any day other than a Saturday is mystifying.

We're quite conservative at the moment, certainly more so than a Clinton presidency would be (at least socially). I think the major difference is the loud-mouthed race to be so insane that shocks people like me.

Get your shit together, conservatives. Nominate someone sane for presidency, ditch the Jesus stuff as a party platform, join the 21st century, and I'd consider it.

I've seen a few liberals here say something among the lines of this. What does this mean though? That you would vote for them (or at least consider doing so) based on their economic policies - just as long as they ditch the bible bashing to some degree? Genuinely curious.

I understand that, but I don't think he was talking internationally, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought he was talking domestically.

I'm curious as to what you think "more detailed polling data and data analytics" is, and why the republicans would have it?

The campaigns definitely hire data mining/analytics firms - the info is publicly filed. They also use the data for profiling voters and targeted ads.

Last edited:
I understand that, but I don't think he was talking internationally, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought he was talking domestically.

Seems like a bit of a pattern in FYM. :lol:

Re Axver's point:

Well hey, we already are one of the very few countries that don't have nationalized health care or maternity leave, so why would we break our streak and have voting on a weekend?

I've seen a few liberals here say something among the lines of this. What does this mean though? That you would vote for them (or at least consider doing so) based on their economic policies - just as long as they ditch the bible bashing to some degree? Genuinely curious.

I can't really elaborate on details, but I meant it more like No way in hell would I even remotely consider voting for the republican nominee when the conservative right is so far out there (for me).

I honestly don't know what the party would look like for me to consider voting for their nominee. Honestly, it's pretty unlikely. But they're pretty crazypants right now, hijacked by Tea Parties and the Jesus huggers.

The campaigns definitely hire data mining/analytics firms - the info is publicly filed. They also use the data for profiling voters and targeted ads.

Yeah, not the Republican Party. And that data is more specific to what's happening in locations in which the campaigns have foot soldiers in. They don't have infinite dollars to knock on everyone's doors.

What you see on the Internet in regards to national polls, from stuff like quinnipac etc. ... that's the highest possible resolution you can get for national scales, several months in advance. There's no conspiracy of hidden information.

First things first, cobl, regarding your Cruz thing...I'm still digesting my dinner, thanks.

Second...

I have no idea. But right now, with the Republican party being seriously scary, there's no way I would go rogue and vote for anyone other than the democratic nominee, even if I have to hold my nose.

All that being said, I would rather someone go and write in a candidate, or vote for some rando third party, rather than stay home and not vote at all. The voting rate in this country is appalling. ( I mean heck, I'd support making it a national holiday so people could get off work and vote, but we all know the right wing would never let that happen, as it might mean a bunch of poor-to-working class people voting Democrat.)

:up: Agreed on all of this.

Yeah, not the Republican Party. And that data is more specific to what's happening in locations in which the campaigns have foot soldiers in. They don't have infinite dollars to knock on everyone's doors.

What you see on the Internet in regards to national polls, from stuff like quinnipac etc. ... that's the highest possible resolution you can get for national scales, several months in advance. There's no conspiracy of hidden information.

There are plenty of private polling organizations used by the parties, such as Democracy Corps (mentioned in this article Democrat Pollster Predicts a 'Train Wreck' for GOP in the Fall - US News)

We're quite conservative at the moment, certainly more so than a Clinton presidency would be (at least socially). I think the major difference is the loud-mouthed race to be so insane that shocks people like me.

To be honest I think we pat ourselves on the back a bit too much that our politics supposedly isn't as crazy as America's. For example, our migration policy is cut from the same cloth or a more extreme one.

And the likes of Tony Abbott, Clive Palmer, Jacqui Lambie, Campbell Newman, Cory Bernardi, George Christensen, etc. would fit pretty snugly with the loudmouth insane Republicans. Cory's probably got a poster of fellow serial killer Ted Cruz on his wall.

I come from a country where nobody votes so i don't get so disappointed by voter turnouts. but it's just me, i think.

Just curious. If Kasich won the Republican nomination, would any democrats here consider voting for him over Clinton? Everyone seems to like the guy on both sides besides the Trump supporters (shocking). He's also killing Hillary in the head to head polls. RCP average has him at +7.4.

To be honest I think we pat ourselves on the back a bit too much that our politics supposedly isn't as crazy as America's. For example, our migration policy is cut from the same cloth or a more extreme one.

And the likes of Tony Abbott, Clive Palmer, Jacqui Lambie, Campbell Newman, Cory Bernardi, George Christensen, etc. would fit pretty snugly with the loudmouth insane Republicans. Cory's probably got a poster of fellow serial killer Ted Cruz on his wall.

Cory has no chance of ever being PM though thankfully

Cory has no chance of ever being PM though thankfully

Remember when we said that about Abbott?

Remember when we said that about Barnaby and the Nationals' leadership?

Remember when we said that about Campbell and the Queensland premiership? (Kieran might, anyway.)

Don't fucking discount anything in our mad post-Rudd political era. We are fortunate to lack the hyper-religiosity of mainstream American politics, but I'm not sure the path we're treading is that dissimilar.

Miley weighs in on Trump

"This makes me so unbelievable scared and sad," Cyrus wrote of a woman holding a mountain lion. "Not only for our country but for animals that I love more than anything in this world."

Then she laid into Trump, who the supporter believes will protect hunters' rights: "YOU DT ARE NOT GOD NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU THINK YOU ARE!!!" penned Cyrus.

She added: "[And] if he doesn't think he is 'God' he thinks he is the fucking chosen one or some shit! We're all just fucking jam between his rich ass toes! Honestly fuck this shit I am moving if this is my president! I don't say things I don't mean!"

MileyCyrusBangerzTourBannedDR-2.jpg

I feel like this election of US prez largely consists of cults of personalities. hey, even Hilary is reliant of Bill at some extent for god's sake. that's as superficial as it can get.

Just curious. If Kasich won the Republican nomination, would any democrats here consider voting for him over Clinton? Everyone seems to like the guy on both sides besides the Trump supporters (shocking). He's also killing Hillary in the head to head polls. RCP average has him at +7.4.

He's certainly the most sane of all the Republican candidates, yeah...but that Planned Parenthood stuff he's been involved with lately doesn't really endear him to me. The Republicans' attitude on that issue is among the many reasons I'm refusing to support them, because they've been really pissing me off with all of that.

I'm voting Democrat no matter what this election, though, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom