2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I despise Trump, but at some point reality has to set in. People have doubted him for months and months and months, but he keeps winning.
Here's what I want the republicans to do...
Rubio drops out, supports Cruz and becomes his VP. Kasich stays in long enough to beat Trump in Ohio. Carson drops out. Cruz vs Trump, Cruz wins.
Cruz/Rubio ticket in the general. Obviously, I'm the only Cruz supporter on FYM so you would all hate that. But that would be my dream scenario.

If your dream scenario doesn't work out and Trump is indeed the nominee, are you going to vote for him?

I think anyone pretending they know how this will play out at this point is kidding themselves. We're no longer dealing with a situation that has a historical comparison. And plenty of people are going to claim they knew it the whole time if their prediction ends up being correct, but they're full of it. There is no script here. It's going to get weird.

I think anyone pretending they know how this will play out at this point is kidding themselves. We're no longer dealing with a situation that has a historical comparison. And plenty of people are going to claim they knew it the whole time if their prediction ends up being correct, but they're full of it. There is no script here. It's going to get weird.

Remember in 2012 when you barked at me for voting third party, claiming it was "the most important election of our lifetime?"

See, now I think it's fair this time 'round to bark at someone who isn't willing to vote against Mein Drumpf.

so.........Bernie has chance?

but seriously though, this Bernie/Clinton race is going different direction than I anticipated.

Sanders' campaign effectively ended right around the time of Nevada when Super Tuesday state polls started coming out fairly often. It was clear that Sanders was going to do a lot worse than expected in those states (which already heavily favored Clinton).

In actuality, it was all over before it began. Black voters see Clinton as the continuation of Obama's legacy and clearly aren't willing to budge. Clinton gets dictator-type numbers with older blacks. Sanders never had a chance to change these people's minds.

With the extremely relevant issues he tackles, new voters he brings to the table and his truly progressive positions, Sanders has every reason to stay in the race until the convention. Not only will it help the Democratic Party in November (and shift their platform further left), but he can then have a case to be their fall-back option if Clinton has a major health scare or ends up being indicted. Having like 40% of the pledged delegates would make him a likely winner real quick at a contested convention.

If your dream scenario doesn't work out and Trump is indeed the nominee, are you going to vote for him?

Right now, no. I don't know where things would stand 8 months from now. But if I the election were held today and Trump was the nominee, I would vote for Gary Johnson on the Libertarian ballot. I wish Biden would have ran for the DEM nominee. I wouldn't vote for him, but I could most definitely stomach him more than Hillary.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

so nobody here talking about commotion Bill caused in Massachusetts in the polling station?

- the Sanders campaign doesn't want to be whiners
- the Clinton campaign has no reason to talk about it
- the media clearly doesn't want to support the idea of dethroning Clinton
- the Republicans clearly want to face her, not Sanders

Nobody cares. He got away with whatever illegal shit he did.

Remember in 2012 when you barked at me for voting third party, claiming it was "the most important election of our lifetime?"

See, now I think it's fair this time 'round to bark at someone who isn't willing to vote against Mein Drumpf.
I don't recall calling it the most important election of our lifetime and certainly don't feel that it was, but I do remember taking issue with voting third party once it was clear that no third party candidates had a chance in 2012. But yeah, the general election is pretty clearly structured as a one-or-the-other choice in the United States. I'm not a fan of getting cute with that, it's basically throwing your vote away.
so.........Bernie has chance?

but seriously though, this Bernie/Clinton race is going different direction than I anticipated.
My point was that it's no longer the time to act like we're all sure Trump can't win. I don't trust the electorate enough for me to count him out.

I would like to take this time to ask all of you to join me in a moment of silence for Dr. Ben Carson.

thank you

I don't recall calling it the most important election of our lifetime and certainly don't feel that it was, but I do remember taking issue with voting third party once it was clear that no third party candidates had a chance in 2012. But yeah, the general election is pretty clearly structured as a one-or-the-other choice in the United States. I'm not a fan of getting cute with that, it's basically throwing your vote away.

You're right, it was someone else who said that.

I will say that I've evolved over the last four years to a point where I'm happy with the direction of the Democratic Party, and would in no circumstances throw my vote away.

But I still stand by the idea that if you're not fundamentally on board with one of your two choices, you're not obliged to pick one or the other. Only in dire cases, like Donald Trump (or, I suppose, Ted Cruz), do I actually advocate voting for the pure sake of not allowing someone to take office. That's because I didn't see Mitt Romney as a *problem*.

In hindsight, though, I woulud've voted for Obama in 2012 given that his second term was far better than his first term.

When he does drop out, I'm sure no one will even notice.

Pretty sure he already did (according to John Kasich). He's probably keeping hush hush about officially suspending his campaign so that he can borrow the national spotlight to run for a senate seat in Florida.

My point was that it's no longer the time to act like we're all sure Trump can't win. I don't trust the electorate enough for me to count him out.

The prediction markets at this early stage haven't counted him out either - a Republican still has a 36% chance to win. Knowledge of one's local electorate (important issues, demographic trends, prior turnout, etc.), especially in swing states/counties does make a difference in trusting the electorate imo.

I'm familiar with his Twitter presence as the old white Canadian guy who thinks he's hip, my understanding beyond that is that he works in the Toronto city government.

Well yeah, he's the deputy Mayor, and has an unpaid "social media intern" that posts silly shit on his twitter account. He hung out with Drake a couple times in the summer and nobody has thought much of him since.

I was just confused at the comparison with Trump, as if he's a constant intolerable presence up here or something.

Whatever, i'm reading too much into a joke. As you were.

Last edited:
Betting markets have been pretty consistent from earlier in the week. Trump's chances remain at around 80%. The main difference is that Rubio fell about 5 points to 14% and Cruz is up to 5%. Those numbers sound reasonable to me.

I think Democrats still prefer to face Trump rather than Rubio (they'd really like to face Cruz though), but I think many in the party are scared right now. As PFan said, Trump's ascencion probably means the election cannot be predicted by historical standards. But Dems have two things going for them: the Republican contest may drag on for some time, and there might be high turnout of people scared that Trump will become the next President.

It's interesting to see where Rubio goes from here. Does he drop out if he loses Florida? He seems to be hanging by a thread right now.

I doubt that Cruz gains much ground, though. He was supposed to do better than he did in the Southern States.

Ladies and gentlemen... Governor Chris 'Farva' Christie

500px-Supert-glock6.jpg

You're right, it was someone else who said that.

I will say that I've evolved over the last four years to a point where I'm happy with the direction of the Democratic Party, and would in no circumstances throw my vote away.

But I still stand by the idea that if you're not fundamentally on board with one of your two choices, you're not obliged to pick one or the other. Only in dire cases, like Donald Trump (or, I suppose, Ted Cruz), do I actually advocate voting for the pure sake of not allowing someone to take office. That's because I didn't see Mitt Romney as a *problem*.

In hindsight, though, I woulud've voted for Obama in 2012 given that his second term was far better than his first term.
My thought is more or less this: not voting for the Democrat because you're pissed off they're not your ideal candidate is selfish and ignores those who would be attacked by GOP policies under a Republican president.

I have serious reservations about Hillary, but I'd never dream of not voting for her when the alternative is one of these Republicans.

My thought is more or less this: not voting for the Democrat because you're pissed off they're not your ideal candidate is selfish and ignores those who would be attacked by GOP policies under a Republican president.

I have serious reservations about Hillary, but I'd never dream of not voting for her when the alternative is one of these Republicans.

But these are two totally different times.

2012 wasn't Obama not being my "ideal candidate." He wasn't my candidate at all. That's the difference. The idea that I "belong" to the Democratic Party, and was merely protesting my vote... that's not true and it's not correct.

Things have changed. Times have changed. I have changed. It's different, now.

But how are things ever going to start changing for the better if people vote for the lesser of two evils rather than going 'no fuck this I'm voting for Jill Stein' or whoever?

But Dems have two things going for them: the Republican contest may drag on for some time, and there might be high turnout of people scared that Trump will become the next President.

I think the Republican leadership is panicking because they have access to more detailed polling data and data analytics. I wouldn't be surprised if the turnout (against him) among the many ethnic and religious groups he has offended sets records.

I think the Republican leadership is panicking because they have access to more detailed polling data and data analytics. I wouldn't be surprised if the turnout (against him) among the many ethnic and religious groups he has offended sets records.

I'm curious as to what you think "more detailed polling data and data analytics" is, and why the republicans would have it?

There's a difference between a campaign, who has ground game in different states and locations, who might have access to internal polling that they don't share. But, on a national level, there's no secret data that exists that the Republican Party has access to that we don't see. The Republican Party is shitting their pants because Donald Trump is about to label them all as racist, xenophobic, and sexist bullies, who use the same rhetoric as Adolph Hitler. And that's going to cause them to lose the senate, and the house. That's why republican leadership is panicking.

Yeah, this election may come down to fear; on one side an ignorant fear of people that don't look or speak like them, on the other a legitimate fear(that's shared by right and left alike) of what a irrational erratic ego will do with that kind of power.

My guess is that more Republicans will turn than Democrats, now if they begrudgingly vote for Clinton, third party, or stay home I don't know.

We shall see :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom