2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Didn't we say this in 2012 when Obama beat Mitt though? That they'd regroup and be much better in 2016? And now they've gone the other way!

No. The Republican Party began to go the way of the Whig Party in the 1850's after the 2012 election. Easy election that should have been won was lost. The party ended in epic choking fashion in 2012.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
bobsaget77 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #227
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,375
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
No. The Republican Party began to go the way of the Whig Party in the 1850's after the 2012 election. Easy election that should have been won was lost. The party ended in epic choking fashion in 2012.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Epic choking fashion in 2012? What grounds do you have for such a statement? Because you didn't like Obama?

Incumbents are rather hard to win a campaign against. Especially when they didn't do anything particularly notable or wrong. George W. Bush won re-election, and that's after starting two wars.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Epic choking fashion in 2012? What grounds do you have for such a statement? Because you didn't like Obama?

Incumbents are rather hard to win a campaign against. Especially when they didn't do anything particularly notable or wrong. George W. Bush won re-election, and that's after starting two wars.

Because Romney ran a terrible campaign and was a weak candidate. His own party didn't even come out to support him. Obama was vulnerable and the republicans just choked it away.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #229
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,375
Local Time: 01:25 PM
How was Obama vulnerable? I don't see that at all. Granted, I recall thinking his grasp of Florida was vulnerable (ended up not being true), but overall he seemed pretty safe. Romney did run a bad campaign, but the Repubes have put out two decent candidates. John McCain was screwed by Palin for VP, and otherwise simply was a white old man going up against the first black presidential candidate. Many democrats would happily vote for McCain if they were discontent with their party. In 2008, everyone wanted W's head.

The waters were never favorable for republicans in an Obama election year. Mitt's campaign only suffered further by being stuck with that shitty republican platform that turns away moderates and independents alike.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Sorry Oregoropa, you're wrong. I was watching the show and it was directed at his co host Stu, not Trump. They're good buds and were fooling around.
Already been proven that it was wrongly reported.
Trumpbart.....excuse me Breitbart...ran with the story of course. The Trump people are out to get Beck because he has Trump pegged down and will not stop attacking him.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ahhhh. The Trumpkin Media Complex at its finest

I wouldn't have put it past Beck though. I can never tell if he's off his meds or not.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Oregoropa is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 02:13 AM   #231
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,375
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Glenn Beck might be loopy at times, but I'd venture to say he's a pretty good guy.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 AM   #232
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,013
Local Time: 04:55 AM
How did you come to the conclusion that "pretty good" is a description you can associate Glenn Beck with.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 02:36 AM   #233
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,375
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
How did you come to the conclusion that "pretty good" is a description you can associate Glenn Beck with.

I implore you to read about his personal life. From the illnesses to the substance abuse to the reform.

The dude is crazy, sure, but it's easy to be sympathetic. He backed gay marriage before it was a thing. He's got some decent philanthropy. He's overall a socially... respectable... human being.

Oh, and he left the Repube party because of the ineffective behaviors of people like Ted Cruz, who think shutting the government down is a good way to get what you want. Disagree with the view all you want, but I find that respectable.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #234
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,913
Local Time: 12:25 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/d...ure?source=rss


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
mikal is online now  
Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #235
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 01:25 PM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Because Romney ran a terrible campaign and was a weak candidate. His own party didn't even come out to support him. Obama was vulnerable and the republicans just choked it away.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference


Nope. Obama wasn't vulnerable. The country measurably improved by almost every metric from 08-12, and has continued to do so. He is scandal free. He's a decent, well-mannered person with a lovely family who have been exemplary. You may disagree with his policies, but it's nonsense to paint him as having been lucky. He soundly beat the two best possible Republicans, as well as Hillary Clinton. That isn't luck. That's a formidable politician operating at the top of his game in a country that generally likes and supports him.

Instead of saying Romeny was a terrible candidate, why not just say that he has terrible ideas and championed terrible policies that were rejected by the American people?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #236
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
please feel free to tell me to shut up


Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Any Americans
__________________
DaveC is online now  
Old 03-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #237
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,437
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Didn't we say this in 2012 when Obama beat Mitt though? That they'd regroup and be much better in 2016? And now they've gone the other way!
I believe the thought was that they need to regroup or they're dead.

They didn't.

The GOP as we know it, for better or for worse, is dead.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 03-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mrs. Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: pig farming in Bolivia
Posts: 7,220
Local Time: 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Fuck Ted Cruz.
__________________
Mrs. Garrison is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #239
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The GOP as we know it, for better or for worse, is dead.


i wish the GOP would die not because of Trump, but because we have proof that the core values, philosophies, and policies don't work and, in fact, lead states to social and financial ruin.

look at the mess Bobby Jindal left in Louisiana. here was someone who sought the governorship in order to build up a resume of GOP bonafides of cutting taxes for the wealthy, deregulating industry, cutting education, and slashing social services for the needy. he didn't do what was in the best interests of Louisiana, he did what he thought would make him attractive to a national electorate who fervently believe in this kind of nonsense without any kind of evidence.

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-left-behind/

BATON ROUGE, La. — Already, the state of Louisiana had gutted university spending and depleted its rainy-day funds. It had cut 30,000 employees and furloughed others. It had slashed the number of child services staffers, including those devoted to foster family recruitment, and young abuse victims for the first time were spending nights at government offices.

And then, the state’s new governor, John Bel Edwards (D), came on TV and said the worst was yet to come.

Edwards, in a prime-time address on Feb. 11, said he’d learned of “devastating facts” about the extent of the state’s budget shortfall and said that Louisiana was plunging into a “historic fiscal crisis.” Despite all the cuts of the previous years, the nation’s second-poorest state still needed nearly $3 billion — almost $650 per person — just to maintain its regular services over the next 16 months. Edwards gave the state’s lawmakers three weeks to figure out a solution, a period that expires March 9 with no clear answer in reach.

Louisiana stands at the brink of economic disaster. Without sharp and painful tax increases in the coming weeks, the government will cease to offer many of its vital services, including education opportunities and certain programs for the needy. A few universities will shut down and declare bankruptcy. Graduations will be canceled. Students will lose scholarships. Select hospitals will close. Patients will lose funding for treatment of disabilities. Some reports of child abuse will go uninvestigated.


“Doomsday,” said Marketa Garner Walters, the head of Louisiana’s Department of Children and Family Services. If the state can’t raise any new revenue, her agency’s budget, like several others, will be slashed 60 percent.

“At that level,” she said in an interview, “the agency is unsustainable.”

But even if Louisiana’s Republican-dominated legislature approves certain tax increases, as most expect, the state still would grapple with problems. The taxes — which could include hikes on everything from groceries to salaries — would dig into the pockets of citizens in a state where 18 percent live in poverty and where the median income is 20 percent below the national average. And the taxes alone won’t close the gap. Nasty cuts will still be necessary, meaning Louisiana will be taking more from its 4.6 million people while offering them less.

“I’m feeling kind of disrespected,” said Christian Washington, 18, a sophomore at Southern University who could lose a state-funded scholarship. “This was an incentive for me. I worked extremely hard. And now they’re trying to strip me of my work.”

Many of the state’s economic analysts say a structural budget deficit emerged and then grew under former governor Bobby Jindal, who, during his eight years in office, reduced the state’s revenue by offering tax breaks to the middle class and wealthy. He also created new subsidies aimed at luring and keeping businesses. Those policies, state data show, didn’t deliver the desired economic growth. This year, Louisiana has doled out $210 million more to corporations in the form of credits and subsidies than it has collected from them in taxes.

Through a longtime adviser, Jindal declined comment for this story. The adviser, Curt Anderson, who was Jindal’s chief campaign strategist, said that the former governor had been “on a mission to grow the Louisiana economy, and he did it, and it required big changes,” including trimming government waste. Anderson said that the state’s population and the wages of workers are higher than they’ve ever been.

Initially, Jindal had been able to cut taxes because Louisiana was buoyed by billions in federal money, an influx to help with the recovery from Hurricane Katrina, which struck in 2005. But as that money ran dry, Jindal said he would veto any bills that would push taxes back to where they had been. Instead, to plug budget gaps, Jindal relied not just on cuts but also on controversial, one-off fundraising methods. The state sold off assets, including parking lots and farmland. It cleaned out money from hundreds of trust funds — among them, one intended to build reefs for marine wildlife. It pieced together money from legal settlements.

For Jindal’s supporters, this was creative problem-solving that helped the state endure without crisis through his term, which ended in January. But in the eyes of Jindal’s opponents, the governor was resisting a more sustainable option — tax increases — that would have proven unpopular nationally among Republicans, whom Jindal was courting in a presidential bid.

Then, as Jindal was on the campaign trail last year, fossil-fuel-rich Louisiana was hit with one more obstacle: The price of oil and natural gas fell off a cliff, causing a retrenchment in an industry that provided the state with jobs and royalties.

When Edwards took office, new estimates from state economists showed that an already large budget gap was $500 million bigger than they had anticipated. Greg Albrecht, Louisiana’s official chief economist, said the state has been “basically taken into a recession.”


similar things have happened in Kansas under Sam Brownback. when you cut taxes and subsidize big business, revenue shrinks and social services are cut and you run up massive devicits. i suppose if you want only to cut taxes for the wealthy and/or make it difficult for poor women to access reproductive health services while rendering states unable to funcdtion, then i suppose these are good models.

at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that Bobby Jindal sold his soul for political gain, and yet received no actual political gain.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #240
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,375
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i wish the GOP would die

Murderous liberals want to kill the GOP because of their love for God! Alert the press, this liberal is infringing upon my right to be a Christian!!
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com