2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like we are moving towards a Trump vs. Cruz head-to-head. Just what the GOP wanted.

Seems like we are moving towards a Trump vs. Cruz head-to-head. Just what the GOP wanted.

Cruz has the momentum. Kansas isn't the most important state, but be trailed by 12 and won by 25+ points.
He also upset in Oklahoma and Alaska. Topped him in Minnesota and looks like he could upset Trump in Maine as well.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Cruz has less of a chance than Trump

Our national debt has skyrocketed since he took office. Obviously, Bush increased the deficit as well, but under the Obama administration, our debt has doubled; we cannot sustain this kind of debt. Eventually, open market operations can only take us so far.
The pull out of Iraq was a disaster. We should have never been there, but he handled it terribly. Libya and Egypt were handled even worse. Led to radical Islam taking over both countries!
Obamacare is a disaster. It needs to be repealed and replaced.
Our racial divisions are worse than they've been since the 60's and his leadership throughout has been abysmal.
Yes, the economy was a mess when he took office, but this has been the slowest recovery since the Great Depression. Record numbers of people who have dropped out of the work force.
I could go on and on...

The deficit has gone down every year since Obama has been in office. We had an initial explosion of deficits due to the financial crisis, but it's been reduced every year.

The Iraq withdrawal was negotiated under President Bush.

The uninsured rate has gone down dramatically and health care spending rates have been reduced. The ACA would be even more effective if every state expanded Medicaid...but the GOP in many states is blocking the expansion.

Our racial divisions are occurring because more and more people are realizing just how much institutional and structural racism black Americans face. This is a good thing. Blacks should be more loud about the problems they face. We need to have a conversation about race. White Americans need to realize how much racism there still is in American rather than sweeping it under the rug like they used to. Ignoring racism won't make racism go away, it'll just perpetuate it.

Part of the reason why this has been such a slow recovery is because the government did not spend enough initially to get us out of the recession. We're doing far better than European countries that instituted austerity policies. If you want to see the results of conservative economics, look at Kansas and Louisiana.

Our national debt has skyrocketed since he took office. Obviously, Bush increased the deficit as well, but under the Obama administration, our debt has doubled; we cannot sustain this kind of debt. Eventually, open market operations can only take us so far.
The pull out of Iraq was a disaster. We should have never been there, but he handled it terribly. Libya and Egypt were handled even worse. Led to radical Islam taking over both countries!
Obamacare is a disaster. It needs to be repealed and replaced.
Our racial divisions are worse than they've been since the 60's and his leadership throughout has been abysmal.
Yes, the economy was a mess when he took office, but this has been the slowest recovery since the Great Depression. Record numbers of people who have dropped out of the work force.
I could go on and on...

Can you explain to me why Obamacare is a "disaster"? And what it should be replaced with?

What leadership is needed for these racial divisions?

And that's why you guys suck. Seriously.

It was a huge natural disaster, where people died and billions of dollars were lost.

And you turned on one of your better potential candidates because he had the audacity to actually appreciate the federal government being supportive... unlike the previous major natural disaster in New Orleans, where the response of the Republican led federal government was one of the most disgraceful moments of this nation's history.

But yea, the election was more important.

Anyone who lost respect for Christie over Sandy and Obama is a heartless asshole whose opinion doesn't matter.

I really don't care what some pretentious internet tough guy has to say.
Thanks.

You don't think he had a point..? You don't think it's ridiculous that someone decent went from being a prospect to nothing all because he admitted someone on the other side was doing good work? Isn't that what we should be striving for?

And that's why you guys suck. Seriously.

It was a huge natural disaster, where people died and billions of dollars were lost.

And you turned on one of your better potential candidates because he had the audacity to actually appreciate the federal government being supportive... unlike the previous major natural disaster in New Orleans, where the response of the Republican led federal government was one of the most disgraceful moments of this nation's history.

But, but, don't you see? Christie HUGGED Obama! That means he got Obama cooties! The GOP can't have that!

Anyone who lost respect for Christie over Sandy and Obama is a heartless asshole whose opinion doesn't matter.

This. Every last word of this. Such a ridiculously immature response to a serious situation.

(And of course, you know that if he, or any other Republican governor encountering a similar disaster, didn't allow Obama's help, then the GOP would use that to show that Obama didn't care about helping people in a tough time.)

If you want to see the results of conservative economics, look at Kansas and Louisiana.

or Michigan? I really haven't lived in places with republican governor so I may be bit unknowledgeable about this issue.

and also:
calm down, Bob Saget

Last edited:
Really? He just called me an a**hole. Smh. It's easy to act like the way they do when they're not being constantly attacked on here.
You're not being constantly attacked. One guy calling you an asshole is not you being constantly attacked.

The awful policies and candidates and political party you support are continually proven objectively bad through sound argument, and you take it personally. That, on the other hand, is true. I don't know why you support objectively incorrect positions, and so many of them, but here we are.

I'm not an Internet tough guy. I'm an exhausted 25-year-old American who has fucking had it with the GOP. I'm not someone who goes to rallies, and I don't hate my friends and families who are Republican. My whole family is Republican. I'm from an Irish Catholic Philly family with 50+ close relatives and I'm the only liberal. We agree simply to not discuss it, and I get along great with them.

But the Republicans, including them, are wrong. They're just wrong, all the time, and I don't understand why anyone would want to follow along with their plans unless (a) they were simply so uneducated that they didn't understand, (b) they lack the intellectual curiosity to look outside their own world, or (c) they're so wealthy and lacking in empathy that they don't care. From my background, most of the people I interact with of the GOP persuasion come from option B.

I was conservative up until I was about 15 or 16 years old. You know what changed? The Internet. It opened up my world to so many viewpoints that you don't get in a suburban Irish Catholic middle class family. And I'm a better person for it.

Headache's post was great. The partisan hatred/support binary is everything wrong with a two party system that has countless things wrong with it already.

When praise toward a man in another party is a nail in their coffin, you know the country's priorities are fucked.

xz7pkahkzeglvekdmjac.jpg

#GOP2016

This picture I think might've actually been taken by one of the protestors, oddly enough. It was on my news feed really early (the rally is at my university).

The outside was a relatively large protest. Here's the front door:

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1457227584.273490.jpg
ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1457227598.148584.jpg
ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1457227620.884579.jpg

Sort of expected... when you host on a college campus.

Mainly just 'cause from my experience when living there, the people who were Democratic were a little more moderate/centrist (I know there's moderate Democrats elsewhere that like him, of course, but I didn't know if some people still bought into the "he's a little too far to the left" attitude). That, and many people still have fond memories of Bill Clinton in this general area of the country, from what I've seen, and so Hilary gets support by default.

I just imagine the only liberal populations there to be in Lincoln by the university (young) or in Omaha. I've never actually been, but a lot of colleagues tend to be from there. Maybe that's my bias.

I just imagine the only liberal populations there to be in Lincoln by the university (young) or in Omaha. I've never actually been, but a lot of colleagues tend to be from there. Maybe that's my bias.

Yeah, when I lived there we lived just a little ways away from both of those cities. The actual town I lived in was a more conservative one, but much of the liberal attitudes I came across were from people who lived in one of those cities.

But then again, I've lived in small towns in other states that had liberal pockets in them, so...who knows?

I was conservative up until I was about 15 or 16 years old. You know what changed? The Internet. It opened up my world to so many viewpoints that you don't get in a suburban Irish Catholic middle class family. And I'm a better person for it.

Me too PhilsFan. I used to be a conservative due to the influence of my uncle and grandfather. When I was becoming more interested in politics around middle school I was reading books by Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh. But as I got more into politics and began learning more about this nation and its history I began to realize how wrong I was. Since then I've changed my views a lot as I've listened to different perspectives on issues.

To be fair, I called anyone who loses respect for somebody who appreciated immediate aid for his constituents who were in life threatening situations to be an asshole.

That would be a group attack, not a personal one. And it's not really an attack if it's true. Cause it is.

Lose respect for Christie over bridge-gate? OK.

Lose respect for him changing his moderate views to try and pander to the far right? OK.

Lose respect for Christie for sidiling on up to Donald Trump just to spite Marco Rubio? OK.

Lose respect for Christie over his response to Hurricane Sandy? For fucks sake no. It's the best thing he ever did as governor, and showed true leadership; as he put what was best for the people of New Jersey in front of any bullshit political affiliation.

Mainly just 'cause from my experience when living there, the people who were Democratic were a little more moderate/centrist (I know there's moderate Democrats elsewhere that like him, of course, but I didn't know if some people still bought into the "he's a little too far to the left" attitude). That, and many people still have fond memories of Bill Clinton in this general area of the country, from what I've seen, and so Hilary gets support by default.

It's the same in Oklahoma and Kansas. Along with Nebraska, all three are solidly Red states (often with conservative Democrats). Throw in Iowa and Colorado, which are more purple states but you could say Bernie has kicked ass in the old "Big 12" primary.

I miss the old Big 12.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom