2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #691
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Except that...who cares.

Bernie isn't and never was going to be the candidate. The enthusiasm gap on the Dem side, which by the way is significant is 100% Hillary Clinton's problem. We can continue to laugh at the Donald at our own peril. How many times have I said here, we all laughed at Rob Ford too.

I still don't understand why people are so dismissive of Sanders, yet so unsure that Trump will win the republican ticket.

What's the difference between the two races? Bernie Sanders represents a "what if" if you could squeeze all of the 2nd and 3rd place votes together and not give a single one to Donald Trump. That's how Trump is performing right now -- equal to Clinton across the isle.

What's the difference though? Well, Bernie as an individual candidate actually has +40% of the vote. Rubio? Nope. Cruz? Nope. Kasich? Nope.

Mathematically speaking, the closest person to a ticket not named Trump or Clinton is Bernie Sanders. If you're dismissing him, which he is indeed borderline dismissive (10-15% odds), you've gotta dismiss everyone else along the way.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #692
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I still don't understand why people are so dismissive of Sanders, yet so unsure that Trump will win the republican ticket.

What's the difference between the two races? Bernie Sanders represents a "what if" if you could squeeze all of the 2nd and 3rd place votes together and not give a single one to Donald Trump. That's how Trump is performing right now -- equal to Clinton across the isle.
I don't understand why you quoted me after I specifically indicated that laughing at Trump's odds is risky.

In many ways it reminds me of how Rob Ford was elected. Except that he was an inconsequential mayor of a city where the (even more) dysfunctional city council held him in check so that aside from putting us on the comedy map he didn't really inflict any lasting damage. But that election was also completely absurd with insane candidates and some competent ones. When you have years or decades of disillusionment about the establishment which proves over and over again that it will do nothing but maintain the status quo, when that status quo has left you worse off than the previous generation, you have a perfect storm for a buffoon willing to voice your concerns publicly (if crudely) to emerge.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #693
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
He has yet to put forth a single plan. He just talks. His entire status as this big New York real estate developer? It's false. He hasn't been in about 20 years. He's not even in the top 15 on most lists of influential real estate developers in this city.
Hang on, he's going to build a wall. And he doesn't need a plan to pay for it because Mexico will pay for it. How does he know they will pay for it? He's going to talk to them.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #694
ONE
love, blood, life

2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

Quote:
I don't understand why you quoted me after I specifically indicated that laughing at Trump's odds is risky.

In many ways it reminds me of how Rob Ford was elected. Except that he was an inconsequential mayor of a city where the (even more) dysfunctional city council held him in check so that aside from putting us on the comedy map he didn't really inflict any lasting damage. But that election was also completely absurd with insane candidates and some competent ones. When you have years or decades of disillusionment about the establishment which proves over and over again that it will do nothing but maintain the status quo, when that status quo has left you worse off than the previous generation, you have a perfect storm for a buffoon willing to voice your concerns publicly (if crudely) to emerge.

The whole post wasn't geared towards you. I just quoted you because your statement was what triggered me to make the Sanders-dismissive comments. Everyone is very ready to proclaim Clinton as champion, but nobody is ready to do the same for Trump. But, Trump has higher odds of winning the primary than Clinton does.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #695
Blue Crack Addict

Welcome party at my place when you guys all move up here.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #696
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Except that he was an inconsequential mayor of a city where the (even more) dysfunctional city council held him in check so that aside from putting us on the comedy map he didn't really inflict any lasting damage.
I generally agree that he didn't cause too much damage except that we would be well on our way to having an adequate and functioning transit system if he didn't cancel every single public transit project on his first day in office.

The gray is what we had before, and what we still have now. All the red and blue lines were cancelled (except the Eglinton Crosstown east-west one, and that's only because they were already boring the tunnel for it)
Old 02-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #697
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Welcome party at my place when you guys all move up here.

I'm legitimately moving to England, one way or another, for graduate school.

However, it might be for four years, if Trump is elected.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #698
Blue Crack Addict

My concern at this point is that Hillary gets concerned about her chances in the general and picks someone even farther right than her as a running mate.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #699
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
donuts not like that's going to generate much enthusiasm in a primary.
Not since Christie dropped out anyway.

Autocorrect can be fun sometimes.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #700
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm out of this shitshow if the Donald is elected and said so nearly a year ago. It's hardly a slam dunk for the guy, but I'm a bit disgusted that the charade has gone on this long.

No problem, I miss the snow anyway.
You can move in next to Alec Baldwin, he moved to Canada after W was elected just like he said he would, didn't he?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #701
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
You can move in next to Alec Baldwin, he moved to Canada after W was elected just like he said he would, didn't he?

Haha. I mean, in all fairness, even though Ted Cruz is legitimately scarier than Donald Trump, Donald Trump is more worth being ashamed of and leaving the country. George W. Bush isn't worth picking up your bags and leaving. Donald Trump is a manipulator and an actor, and he's acting like a racist, xenophobic pig and it's working. That's definite grounds to actually be ashamed.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #702
The Male

Local Time: 05:47 PM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

I haven't felt patriotic in a long, long time. Bush getting re-elected finished that off. Our population and government are responsible for a lot of embarrassing shit that I don't cosign. We owe a cool trillion to China. Race relations are a fucking cesspool. The NRA runs the country. I'm afraid to go to packed movie theaters. But there are worse places to live.

Trump would be the line. I can just imagine going to church and hearing ministers ask me to pray for and support the president after two straight terms of government condemnation, just because the guy is white and "Republican." I can imagine Donald Trump state of the union speeches wherein he pretends to talk about political sounding things and embarrasses everyone. The derisive laughter of every other first world nation on earth. Nope. Can't do it.

Now.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #703
Blue Crack Supplier

Donald Trump will not be president.

he may be the nominee, but good luck to the GOP. they're going to need it.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #704
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
We owe a cool trillion to China.

China? China. China!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #705
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:47 PM
As an American, I am ashamed that so many of my fellow citizens have bought into a campaign fueled by hate and fear. I'd move to Canada but as a native Californian, I don't tolerate cold well.

I truly hope that if Trump wins the nomination, whatever is left of the moderate Republican party jumps ship and forms their own third party.