2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
It told me I am 30% Green Party and I am nuts.
That's surprising, I would have never guessed 30% green party.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:12 AM   #557
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Somebody has some photoshop talent. Hillary Hillary Hillary.

http://youtu.be/SiHMM-VyDug

I guess that strain makes you bark

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 02-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #558
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
68% Conservative.

Your description sounds about on point with my political views as well.

And, yes, I have OCD and mild germaphobia. This test seems kinda...odd, to say the least.

Exactly that's the weird thing about this survey. Of course I'm going to be grossed out by maggots on meat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #559
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
It looks like the lead author is ex-NSA, so it seems biased.
Have you read anything beyond her biography?

The issue I have with this case is that people seem, by and large, unable to separate what the actual law is versus what they think the law should be. Reasonable people can argue about the current state of the law and whether it should be the case that private enterprise can be compelled to assist the government in this (potentially invasive) way. But that is a discussion separate and apart from whether the law applies today and whether interpretation of the constitution permits for it. That is where I and seemingly most people on this board disagree. That is why you have professors like Dershowitz clearly saying you have to permit for reasonable exceptions of privacy. I've said nothing of what I think should be the state of affairs.

And let's also not pretend like Apple is doing this to fight for our freedoms. It's about money for them.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #560
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Somebody has some photoshop talent. Hillary Hillary Hillary.

I guess that strain makes you bark

Not photoshop, but it is pretty funny.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #561
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

It's the equivalent to the FBI demanding a master key to every American house's front door lock and publicly announcing where they keep it. It's stupid and blindingly unconstitutional, and Apple would be insane to agree to it. It would instantly kill their entire enterprise business (no company is going to buy iPhones for their employees if they have zero security).

This is not quite true. Codes more complicated that four-digit numbers would still be essentially impossible to break.

Breaking the encryption is NP-complete, which basically means that there's no way to do it (barring proof that P=NP, which nobody thinks to be true) other than literally trying every combination. iPhones only let you try ten combinations before destroying the encrypted data; that function is that the FBI is asking Apple to disable. And only for this phone, although maybe that could arguably be used more commonly in the future.

But the brute-forcing thing is important, because iPhone PINs don't have to be four-digit numbers. There are only 10^4 = 10,000 possible combinations for a four digit code, and it won't take the FBI very long to get the right one. Say they can try ten per second, it'll take 1,000 seconds = 17 minutes.

iPhone passcodes can also be much more complicated. An eight digit numerical code would have 10^8 = 100,000,000 combinations, taking 10,000,000 seconds, or about 115 days. Still doable for a determined FBI, I guess, but less likely to be worth their time. And every number you add doubles the time.

Or you can do as I do, a 15 digit code with letters (capital and lowercase), numbers, and symbols. Each character can be one of roughly 80 options, meaning that there are ~80^15 possible combinations. That's about 35,184,372,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations (to as much precision as Google will give me). Or about 111,568,910,000,000,000,000 years at ten tries per second. Which is about 8,073,003,762 times the age of the universe.

So, the moral of the story is that iPhone data can still be effectively encrypted with a longer/more complicated passcode, which would be for all intents and purposes impossible for the FBI to break, even with the patch that they're asking for.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #562
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't know how, legally, if they have a warrant/court order to look at the phone, that Apple has any leg to stand on.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #563
ONE
love, blood, life

The thing is... Apple can do it... but what happens the next time the FBI comes knocking on the door with another phone? "Just this one time" is a super weak argument.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #564
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Just gonna leave this here
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1455985841.546866.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	10587
Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #565
ONE
love, blood, life

Please tell me someone already mentioned this:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ty-tricks.html
Old 02-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #566
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
The thing is... Apple can do it... but what happens the next time the FBI comes knocking on the door with another phone? "Just this one time" is a super weak argument.
Writing the special software may not be easy for Apple (for iOS 8/9). In the past, Apple complied with requests 70 times (for prior iOS versions) with weaker encryption. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has a good technical write-up.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/0...le-iphone-case

A couple of points that were under-reported are that it was a work cell phone (the personal one was destroyed), and that the passcode was changed sometime after the government had the phone in its possession.

I agree that the FBI and foreign governments could request the same backdoor, even as a condition for selling phones in their countries.

Regarding the legal issues, the ACLU is on Apple's side:
https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-comme...-unlock-iphone
Old 02-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #567
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Of course I'm going to be grossed out by maggots on meat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you're not grossed out by maggots you might be tricked into voting for one The Trump campaign ran a similar poll prior to running to make sure he could find enough minions.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
As I understand it they aren't even asking for "just this one time". They're asking for software to be written to be able to access any iPhone whenever, without having to go through Apple anymore.

That's a bad enough idea in the FBI's hands, what are less scrupulous governments going to do with access to their citizens' data like that? Like I said, once the back door is built in it's going to be cracked more or less immediately.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #569
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
As I understand it they aren't even asking for "just this one time". They're asking for software to be written to be able to access any iPhone whenever, without having to go through Apple anymore.

That's a bad enough idea in the FBI's hands, what are less scrupulous governments going to do with access to their citizens' data like that? Like I said, once the back door is built in it's going to be cracked more or less immediately.

That was initially the case, but news updates suggest the FBI has "settled," so to say. Where they basically want apple to write the firmware for just ONE phone and then Apple can keep the software and not distribute it.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #570
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Just gonna leave this here
Uncanny resemblance