2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well whoever living in US who didn't know that Donald Trump's image has been fake as fuck for the whole time must have been pretty ignorant then. I've only been here for 6 or 7 years or so and I knew that guy is freaking insane.

It's progressives masturbating progressives. Not a single person who is considering voting for Trump is going to watch that and if they do they aren't going to be swayed.

Something about John Oliver sits uncomfortably with me. I think it's just that every single time he does something it's a race between people desperate to fall over themselves to prove that they're so wonderfully progressive by sharing the video on facebook.

This makes zero sense, and then paired with the second half of that post it makes even less sense.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's progressives masturbating progressives. Not a single person who is considering voting for Trump is going to watch that and if they do they aren't going to be swayed.

Inversely no liberals watch Fox news which is probably claiming that US will be socially and morally corrupt if Hilary or Bernie will be elected.

This makes zero sense, and then paired with the second half of that post it makes even less sense.

This post makes no sense to me..?

Inversely no liberals watch Fox news which is probably claiming that US will be socially and morally corrupt if Hilary or Bernie will be elected.

Yes, this is quite true as well. Except for the laughs. I remember watching Fox when it was becoming evident Obama was going to beat Romney, it was fucking hilarious.

I think you're missing the point. Of course Trump voters aren't going to watch that, they are Trump voters. They have to live in an information bubble in order to remain a Trump voter. They are the ones that will mock you for asking for a source.

Oh I see what you mean. We're in total agreeance. I'm just saying I don't get the endless praise every single time John Oliver so much as lifts a finger. I think Colbert's style of taking down right-wingers is/was much funnier and more effective.

This post makes no sense to me..?

There's no correlation. At one point you're attacking someone based on their audience. And then you go on an attack based on speculation that he has a team of writers, as if that's new for a tv host?

Oh I see what you mean. We're in total agreeance. I'm just saying I don't get the endless praise every single time John Oliver so much as lifts a finger. I think Colbert's style of taking down right-wingers is/was much funnier and more effective.

Oh, I still see much more paradise for Colbert or Stewart, but hey everyone has to bring their own style.

There's no correlation. At one point you're attacking someone based on their audience. And then you go on an attack based on speculation that he has a team of writers, as if that's new for a tv host?

I guess Australia is a different place. where hosts actually write all of their materials.

I think this is only true when Oliver chooses a popular topic like Trump. But where he really excel is in finding relatively obscure topics or issues that are ignored by the media, but which are hugely important. Like net neutrality or tax-exempt churches.

he even talking about fracking in North Dakota and until watching that video, I forgot about the existance of both Dakotas. and Dakota Johnson.

I think this is only true when Oliver chooses a popular topic like Trump. But where he really excel is in finding relatively obscure topics or issues that are ignored by the media, but which are hugely important. Like net neutrality or tax-exempt churches.

Yes, this is very, very true. He's been ahead of the curve on a few topics, I stand corrected.

It just annoys me that John Oliver gets all the praise when he likely doesn't do all the research/writing?

Jon Stewart had a team of like 20+ writers. I'm sure John Oliver is the driving force behind his commentary, but no one person could write and produce and host a show on that level.

I do agree with the point that we are all just preaching to the choir. The people who make a difference in elections are those who knock on doors and get out the vote. Perhaps this may inspire some of the base who may or may not vote to realize the consequences of failure and make sure they get to the polls.

True story: I lived in a swing state in 2008, and within a week of the unveiling of Sarah Palin I volunteered for Obama. Mostly because I was like, "oh hell no." And if the worst happened at least I could look at myself in the mirror in the morning and know that I at least tried to do something.

Jon Stewart had a team of like 20+ writers. I'm sure John Oliver is the driving force behind his commentary, but no one person could write and produce and host a show on that level.

I am sure that Jon is pretty knowledgeable about issues he's talking about.

I'm sure Jon Oliver is too. It's just too big a job to be done by one person.

Film/TV is nothing if not collaborative.

yeah i'm sure John Oliver is also pretty knowledgeable. I come to like Stephen's late night as well, though.....it is not as edgy as shows in comedy central but what can we do?

Something about John Oliver sits uncomfortably with me.

Say what you will, at least he's not Charlie fucking Pickering.

(Who keeps showing up in ads before anything I want to watch on iView, and it's a small miracle I haven't put my fist through the screen yet.)

In important news, the DNC Vice Chair that stepped down the other day to endorse Sanders is, umm, yeah.... :drool:

He was dead from the second "Australia's John Oliver" started.

He was dead from the second he sucked.

How the fuck he got a second season rather than bankrolling Shaun Micallef to do whatever the fuck he wants is beyond me.

I have more sympathy towards him than you, but yes, he's aways seemed a little forced to me. And not as funny as some of our comedians. A bit more preachy, too.

Is Mad as Hell coming back? What's Micallef up to?

I don't find John Oliver to be all that, even when I broadly agree with him. He lays it on awfully thick, and some of his targets don't even seem to me to warrant the effort (not commenting on whatever that Trump clip is about). He had some bit about Johnny Depp's dogs that one time, and I'm like 'who the fuck cares?'

I have more sympathy towards him than you, but yes, he's aways seemed a little forced to me. And not as funny as some of our comedians. A bit more preachy, too.

Is Mad as Hell coming back? What's Micallef up to?

The other people on Pickering's show are unbearable. Kitty Flanagan in particular - which is a shame because she was good in Utopia.

I don't think anything's official but I'm pretty sure there's meant to be another season of Mad As Hell later in the year. Not sure what else Micallef is up to though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom