2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 PM   #451
45:33

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Holy fuck, I was on mobile and didn't see what this was.

I can't live here much longer. I can't. A gun means America?! Why. Why the fuck?

God... I love this country. It's beautiful, it's fun, it has such a short history it feels like we're still apart of its formation.

But this makes me sick. It makes me want to cry, I feel helpless and hopeless to ever be able to convey how I feel.

It's getting to the point of feeling like I'm in a toxic relationship that I can't find it in my heart to give up on.

Jesus. That picture disgusts me.
I've been thinking about it for three hours and I still can't wrap my head around it. It is genuinely horrific.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #452
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
But. He. WASN'T. There was nothing to bring before the Supreme Court in order to have the law defined. What is so difficult about this for you to understand? You're saying in one post that there's nothing to define, and yet here you say:

All the counter argument to your posts are saying is that it would be nice to get it DEFINED. That's it. You CAN declare him ineligible because of the ambiguity. Once that happens, lawmakers determine the actual law. Boom, done.

It would be nice to get it defined. I'm not debating that at all. As it stands right now, it's not defined. I don't understand why you would think that his eligibility is in QUESTION from the get go. "No" is not implied for his bid, at the moment. Nothing is implied.

If you question it, from a dem perspective, it's contrary to a progressive belief. It's also hypocritical, because it's what you would expect from a republican on this issue. It's purely agenda based. Ted Cruz is not obliged to have the US establish law for him. If it's such an issue, this would be something that would be put into question after his conceivable presidency. Not during his run.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #453
Blue Crack Distributor

For fucks sake the entire purpose of the Supreme Court is to interpret the rule of law.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #454
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
So, to date, the only people that have otherwise thought someone wasn't naturally born a citizen if they weren't born on the mainland have only been doing so as per an agenda. Two notable examples: Obama and Cruz.
You don't even have to go further than Wikipedia to know this is false, and that the point has been discussed across centuries.

You're seeing agendas and partisanship where there is none. You may be trying to act as if you're above the fray, but it's making you look paranoid.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #455
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
For fucks sake the entire purpose of the Supreme Court is to interpret the rule of law.

Yes, that's true. Not debating that at all. But, backing this up to the original point: is it hypocritical of one side to open a lawsuit to demand an interpretation of an undefined portion of a law, strictly as per an agenda? Better question: would either side open up a lawsuit on itself?

Actually, Donald Trump is threatening to do that right now. Still agenda based, but I think we can all happily put an asterisk next to Donald as a total troll. But, other than Trump, would you not call it hypocrisy if a lawsuit were to be constructed over this, coming from the more "encompassing" progressive side?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #456
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You don't even have to go further than Wikipedia to know this is false, and that the point has been discussed across centuries.

You're seeing agendas and partisanship where there is none. You may be trying to act as if you're above the fray, but it's making you look paranoid.

I was implying that "to date" meant in recent time. I'm not acting like I'm above anything. If you think that this isn't agenda based, I don't know what to tell you. Do you think birthers weren't agenda based, as per anti-Obama views? And in the hypothetical democratic case of a lawsuit, do you not see that as an agenda, with a total conflict of interest that is contrary to the party's inclusive, anti-xenophobic views?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #457
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Yes, that's true. Not debating that at all. But, backing this up to the original point: is it hypocritical of one side to open a lawsuit to demand an interpretation of an undefined portion of a law, strictly as per an agenda? Better question: would either side open up a lawsuit on itself?

Actually, Donald Trump is threatening to do that right now. Still agenda based, but I think we can all happily put an asterisk next to Donald as a total troll. But, other than Trump, would you not call it hypocrisy if a lawsuit were to be constructed over this, coming from the more "encompassing" progressive side?
OK, but here's the issue with the way you want it, vs the way I would like to see it happen:

In your scenario, Cruz gets elected and we don't deal with this situation until after he's in office.

What happens if the Supreme Court determines that he was, in fact, ineligible? Are you content with having his running mate become president instead?

Ted Cruz should have made sure that Ted Cruz could be elected president years ago. Not left it up for debate until the last possible minute.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:20 AM   #458
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
OK, but here's the issue with the way you want it, vs the way I would like to see it happen:

In your scenario, Cruz gets elected and we don't deal with this situation until after he's in office.

What happens if the Supreme Court determines that he was, in fact, ineligible? Are you content with having his running mate become president instead?

Ted Cruz should have made sure that Ted Cruz could be elected president years ago. Not left it up for debate until the last possible minute.

Everyone who drank before prohibition was enacted... were they in retrospect to be considered against the law of the land? I don't think so. A ruling would have to be (logically) chronological. It shouldn't be a nullification, if the law never existed. So far as I'm concerned (I say it this way because I'm not sure of the technicality), eligibility should concern one's ability to run. Once he's in, he's in. And whatever laws you lay down defining a naturalized citizen would have to be forward in time, only.

I disagree that it's Ted Cruz's responsibility.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #459
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:

As was pointed out earlier, Cruz had no legal mechanism to "make sure" of this. The Supreme Court could only issue that sort of ruling if Cruz were at immediate risk of the government taking action against him, if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 02-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #460
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
This question needs to be answered just so we can avoid these stupid fucking debates every election cycle.
No assholes that don't meet the constitutional requirements should not run. Or amend the condtitution.

Being am American citizen is not the requirement or the only requirement.

Someone natural born on the land that lived abroad may not meet the requirements.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:54 AM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Who the fuck is Ted Cruz??
No such person.
Show me the birth certificate!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 AM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I've been thinking about it for three hours and I still can't wrap my head around it. It is genuinely horrific.
There is an explanation from him
But nah, don't bother
He seems to be in better spirits lately
With W in tow, his events are drawing a bit, no need to tell them when to clap
but I think he will come in 4th this week end and W may not want to tarnish his image much longer
Old 02-17-2016, 02:39 AM   #463
ONE
love, blood, life

Ahahaha is that Jebbers trying to look hard? He's such a damn disappointment. He's like when U2 started working with wil.i.am.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #464
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:33 PM
All Americans should be worried that if Cruz becomes POTUS he will sell the entire country to Canada for 1 CAD.

Actually, that would be a pretty good deal since they'll mostly be purchasing tonnes of debt.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #465
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Everyone who drank before prohibition was enacted... were they in retrospect to be considered against the law of the land? I don't think so. A ruling would have to be (logically) chronological. It shouldn't be a nullification, if the law never existed. So far as I'm concerned (I say it this way because I'm not sure of the technicality), eligibility should concern one's ability to run. Once he's in, he's in. And whatever laws you lay down defining a naturalized citizen would have to be forward in time, only.