2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lest anyone thing that Trump is anything but a performance artist and is actually a profane baboon, check out this thoughtful analysis he has of Citizen Kane.

seriously.

lest anyone thing that Trump is anything but a performance artist and is actually a profane baboon, check out this thoughtful analysis he has of Citizen Kane.

seriously.

The Glass score is a nice touch.

And btw, that's the guy people are voting for, not the clown car, hater, and other bull shit names lazy thinkers are puking up

The Glass score is a nice touch.

And btw, that's the guy people are voting for, not the clown car, hater, and other bull shit names lazy thinkers are puking up

No one is calling him "the clown car", he's just the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I find this kind of talk tiring, I have friends on the other side that have unloaded on the Clintons and Obama and their supporters with insults and belittling remarks, I find I can not have reasonable discussions with them

did you guys already talk about this #WhichHilary thing? that black protestors at Hilary's private event who pointed out that she used to consider some criminals (especially black people) to be "super predator," I mean.

did you guys already talk about this #WhichHilary thing? that black protestors at Hilary's private event who pointed out that she used to consider some criminals (especially black people) to be "super predator," I mean.

it was pretty unfair, imho. i remember the "superpredator" scare in the early 1990s. i remember reading about it in, like, Time when i was a teenager.

it was junk science, and racially loaded, and has since been debunked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/us/politics/killing-on-bus-recalls-superpredator-threat-of-90s.html?_r=2

it's pretty unfair to say that Hillary "pushed" the theory when she mentioned it once, like, 20 years ago, at a time when it was in the news and part of the conversation around crime.

yeah, big news in Dem primaries, but anyone that thinks Bernie deserves black votes over Hillary is uninformed. Her history may have a spot or two. But he is a zero or worse with his public record. But of course, the old guy is the hot ticket, feel the Bern:combust:

it was pretty unfair, imho. i remember the "superpredator" scare in the early 1990s. i remember reading about it in, like, Time when i was a teenager.

it was junk science, and racially loaded, and has since been debunked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/us/politics/killing-on-bus-recalls-superpredator-threat-of-90s.html?_r=2

it's pretty unfair to say that Hillary "pushed" the theory when she mentioned it once, like, 20 years ago, at a time when it was in the news and part of the conversation around crime.

I thought it is sort of unfair to blame her for whatever she said in '96 but it's true that for black people, that kind of history of her must be devastating, I can imagine. it's also true that apparently mass incarceration happened in Clinton era so I guess this may change some dynamics of which racial groups (generally) vote for who if these protests make enough sparks or get enough attentions from media.

keep in mind the Clintons are from Arkansas, the South and the Confederates were Democrats and slave holders, young people who care about 'blacklivesmatter# should go with a liberal northern like Bernie :up:

I thought it is sort of unfair to blame her for whatever she said in '96 but it's true that for black people, that kind of history of her must be devastating, I can imagine. it's also true that apparently mass incarceration happened in Clinton era so I guess this may change some dynamics of which racial groups (generally) vote for who if these protests make enough sparks or get enough attentions from media.

I thought this was a good analysis:
Why Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote | The Nation

I find this kind of talk tiring, I have friends on the other side that have unloaded on the Clintons and Obama and their supporters with insults and belittling remarks, I find I can not have reasonable discussions with them

Well there's a difference between not being able to have a discussion because you don't like what letter is behind their name and not having a discussion due to lack of substance. There is no substance to discuss with him, I've asked and no one can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Always a fun site to play around with.

2016 Presidential Election Interactive Map

The TV media wants a national horse race, but as we know it ain't won that way and Don isn't flipping states despite the hype and wall to wall coverage.

Currently, both Sen. Sanders and Mrs Clinton are beating Trump by around 294-303EVs and that's low (ish) only because it's based on an outlying poll in Ohio from last week. Essentially.. Donny's moving no Obama era Blue states over an extended polling period and locking them again and again the way the president did with Virginia and Ohio in 2008, neither are any of the Rs for that matter... okay, well not exactly true - one state, Colorado seems to have slipped a bit for the Dems across the 2015/2016 board with every R candidate ahead by a slim margin, but it also has a high % of undecideds as well, so who knows.

North Carolina seems to be coming into play again ala 2008, Virginia is a strong 50%+ Dem as is NH for both candidates - all to date. Since this cycle began 276 EVs seem to be consistently going the way of both Democratic candidates through highs and lows and scandals and such and such, god, even the latest Fox (yes... Fox) News national poll has both HC and Bern beating Twump and again and again 191EVs is the most Donny gets despite his primary wins and surges and that is assuming all the McCain/Romney states go his way should he get this (ugh) nomination. Ironically it's Rubio, Kasich and wow.. Ben Carson who have done the best against both Dems just now, albeit the latter's polls are months old now.

Here's the argument I tried to make the other day, in much more coherent terms:

Lessons from the Donald Trump-Marco Rubio Screamfest - The New Yorker

There’s a very good chance that Trump will be the nominee of one of the country’s two major parties—last night’s debate likely won’t change that. There are only a few days until Super Tuesday, and Trump is well ahead in most states, though not in Texas, Cruz’s home. And no one else onstage seemed all that Presidential. Rubio acted a little too pleased with his hits, like a guy doing an extended dance after hitting a single in the company softball game. It didn’t help that his lines seemed memorized. Cruz, in one of his cross-talking squabbles, was effectively shut down when Trump called him a “basket case.” Carson, discussing judicial nominees, said he’d look at the “fruit salad of their life.” Kasich said that he’d have resolved the Apple-F.B.I. fight by secretly locking all the parties in a room. More important, the debate was empty of a counterbalancing vision. When the radio host Hugh Hewitt asked about “the issue that keeps me up at night, which is religious liberty,” none of the candidates responded with a critique of Trump’s plan to ban non-citizen Muslims from entering the United States (which, unlike the Polish workers, they did not have to search for), or of his interest in closing mosques. They knew that that wasn’t what Hewitt cared about, as opposed to his fear that Christian religious institutions would “have to bend their knee and provide morning-after pills.” Their positions are not so far from Trump’s. In this area, the mystery may not be why they don’t attack Trump’s policies but why so many supposedly serious candidates basically agree with him.

They certainly don’t agree in all areas. Cruz, with leading questions and prosecutorial zeal, forced Trump to acknowledge that he does not, indeed, want people to die “on the sidewalks and the streets.” Cruz made it clear that he considered this a damning admission. And Trump said, as he has before, that although he opposed abortion rights and would defund Planned Parenthood, he was glad that the group screened women for cancer. A party that regards such a position as mad radicalism is likely to be confused by Trump, and to deserve him.

look at your post from awhile back, when every one was saying Trump had no shot and Rubio was the guy or Jeb or whoever, I saw where this thing was going, again I know you are a heavy Rubio guy, well my preference in the GOP is Kasic, but we don't matter I am just calling these things the way I see them going, I have been right more often than many in here

two months(10 months) from now this post will be here, we can come back and see what has happened

since you like current polls, you do see that your "make a wish" boy's dream will burst in the FL primary

What the hell are you talking about? I'm a heavy Rubio guy? No I'm not. I fucking hate that man. Piece of shit waste of a senate seat from my own home state. I've never once voiced anything good about Marco Rubio.

This whole post is utter garbage. I'm glad that in two months(10 months) (whatever that even means?) this post will be here, because it will still be confusing and unintelligible.

It's like you didn't even read what you quoted, either. Lord, go look at my posts about how I was telling someone off for thinking "Rubio has this in the bag."

Like. You're actually not reading what you're quoting. You still think I'm denying that Trump has that support. And you think Rubio is my "Make a Wish" boy? Get off the drugs, man.

On (ii), and perhaps the thing that in my view is not properly addressed: a number of ideas that would be seen with a lot of suspicion in most of the (democratic) world are actually part of the political culture. "Make America Great Again" is not a Trump thing. It's deeply rooted in the idea of American exceptionalism that is so obnoxious for most people around the world (and the lack of humility it engenders).

I 100% believe America was a great, but flawed, country at one point. The funny thing is, I believe it was so for all of the things that Donald Trump is against. There was a time where we had a more open border, where we took in refugees, created jobs, found ways to improve the working class. The idea that making America great is to isolate ourselves from the world is hilariously asinine and completely uniformed.

You can feel as you do about the sentiment, but as for me, yeah, I'd love for America to be great again, but it sure is hell isn't going to be by having anything to do with Donald Trump's policies.

In the same way as Republicans want to replace Obamacare?
(And why does he want to replace it?)

I'd love to be able to link you to anything that outlines what his plan is exactly, because I honestly don't know anything about it beyond some stuff he mentioned at the first Rep debate, but I can't find it because of a sea of one-sided articles about him single-handedly defunding Planned Parenthood, apparently.

And I didn't think Republicans wanted to replace Obamacare, I thought they just wanted to get rid of it...

12744164_10208824255543654_1498392429429137916_n.jpg

And we'll build a Black Gate to keep the Gondorians out of our country. And we'll make them pay for it!

Just a question that hopefully doesn't offend anyone...but here goes; is free tuition a basic human right? I mean...healthcare...okay i guess. Free tuition though - there are people on this planet who don't even have clean drinking water, food, shelter, clothes on their back, etc. Free tuition seems a bit like a luxury compared to what we used to call the "basic necessities"

I think free education is, to me, a basic human right. sure I think free tuition is somewhat extreme in some occasions but I don't think it has to be ridiculously priced like US today.

While i think education should be a right - up to a point - i don't think anything is ever free. There is always a cost involved. If we look at the average teacher salary then its easy to understand the difference in the value between basic education (k-12) and higher education.

And even in saying that, i do agree that the cost of higher education here is too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom