2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:up: Gump

"Make America Great Again" is not a Trump thing. It's deeply rooted in the idea of American exceptionalism that is so obnoxious for most people around the world (and the lack of humility it engenders). The over-militarized approach to everything from the Super Bowl to law enforcement.

This x1000000.

I don't feel this Trump thing all that new as his "larger than life" personality has been a thing for long time and we're used to seeing Donald saying insane garbage.

I don't feel this Trump thing all that new as his "larger than life" personality has been a thing for long time and we're used to seeing Donald saying insane garbage.

This. He's always been an obnoxious loudmouth, so that's not surprising to me.

What is surprising to me is that people didn't see his campaign for the joke it clearly was supposed to be when he first ran and are actually keeping the damn thing going, and actually seeing him as someone who should legitimately be our next president. I just do not get that line of thinking. At all.

I mean, I get the whole "outside the mainstream" fervor that a lot of people are having nowadays...but this is not the kind of "outside the mainstream" thing we should be going for.

Also, I'm from the U.S. and I wholeheartedly agree that the "RAH RAH AMERICA IS #1!" rhetoric is ridiculously over the top. I love my country and I'm proud of all the good things we have done, or are doing, but there's ways to express that pride and support without being obnoxious about it. And the arrogance that we have all the answers to everything, and don't need to listen to or learn from our allies, is absurd, too.

I kinda hate the fact that Donald talking in public and Donald on twitter are virtually same person.

Pretty much everyone hates that Donald Trump is talking in public, period. Except his supporters, and they're only listening to the dog whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is the only Republican debate that I have watched from the beginning. Is this a debate or a roast? :lol:

The best part was when Rubio exclaimed that not only are there two Hispanics on stage but ALSO an African American, thereby making the Republicans the party of diversity.

Maybe he hasn't noticed that black dude in the White House?

I mean, I don't think that comment is wildly off-base. Were the Dems as diverse as this when they had this many candidates..?

Ben Carson is like a child. "The fruit salad of their life," my god.

I could deal with a Kasich presidency. Can only judge him on what I've seen, and he's the only one who isn't insane. Maybe he'll be the VP?

Trump's whole thing is "everyone is my friend".

"Healthcare is not a right."

Healthcare. Is not. A right.

HEALTHCARE.
IS.
NOT.
A.
RIGHT.

Fuck, I feel so sorry for Americans. Jesus fucking christ.

"Healthcare is not a right."

Healthcare. Is not. A right.

HEALTHCARE.
IS.
NOT.
A.
RIGHT.

Fuck, I feel so sorry for Americans. Jesus fucking christ.

I seriously see red when I hear that BS. Just...agh. I do not get that line of thinking. At all.

But further proof of the sorts of uphill battles we're dealing with here in the U.S. :sigh:.

CcHIJE2VAAA29ZI.jpg:large

Trump got schlonged.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

"By what standard" nails it.

If there's anything to learn about Trump's success, the fact that he just kicked and screamed and talked through people trying to talk, and called the crowd donors again, and came off as brash....

To a level headed person, Trump got "schlonged." To his voters, they don't care. They aren't looking for the reason and logic that he refused to supply. His numbers, if anything, are just going to go up.

I'm not so sure Trump isn't going to be affected by tonight. I'm sure he will retain his core, that 33% or so. But I can't remember another debate where he was assaulted like this, and it's bleeding obvious he doesn't actually know anything. I appreciate that he essentially gives voice to, 1) racist white identity politics, and, 2) people who think that politicians are sacks of shit. But a middle finger only goes so far. At a certain point, at least some voters aren't going to want to trust him with the nuclear codes. They may think, "well, this has been fun, but that's enough." My sense is that this is happening with the Dems, albeit in a far more constructive, positive way. There are establishment politics for a reason. Certainly it has its downsides, but it also provides stability. Clinton has co-opted Sanders, like a white girl with hip-hop. But that's how it's supposed to work. He won because he got her to change and drift to the left. She had to in order to win. Sounds like representational democracy to me.

But, I dunno. We'll see how he responds tomorrow. That's been his brilliance -- how he counterpunches via co-opting the news cycle by starting a Twitter feud with the Pope or calling Bill Clinton a rapist.

The rules haven't applied to him until now, because he isn't a politician. But now that he's the front runner, it might all catch up to him.

It will be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom