2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that...who cares.

Bernie isn't and never was going to be the candidate. The enthusiasm gap on the Dem side, which by the way is significant is 100% Hillary Clinton's problem. We can continue to laugh at the Donald at our own peril. How many times have I said here, we all laughed at Rob Ford too.

I still don't understand why people are so dismissive of Sanders, yet so unsure that Trump will win the republican ticket.

What's the difference between the two races? Bernie Sanders represents a "what if" if you could squeeze all of the 2nd and 3rd place votes together and not give a single one to Donald Trump. That's how Trump is performing right now -- equal to Clinton across the isle.

What's the difference though? Well, Bernie as an individual candidate actually has +40% of the vote. Rubio? Nope. Cruz? Nope. Kasich? Nope.

Mathematically speaking, the closest person to a ticket not named Trump or Clinton is Bernie Sanders. If you're dismissing him, which he is indeed borderline dismissive (10-15% odds), you've gotta dismiss everyone else along the way.

I still don't understand why people are so dismissive of Sanders, yet so unsure that Trump will win the republican ticket.

What's the difference between the two races? Bernie Sanders represents a "what if" if you could squeeze all of the 2nd and 3rd place votes together and not give a single one to Donald Trump. That's how Trump is performing right now -- equal to Clinton across the isle.

I don't understand why you quoted me after I specifically indicated that laughing at Trump's odds is risky.

In many ways it reminds me of how Rob Ford was elected. Except that he was an inconsequential mayor of a city where the (even more) dysfunctional city council held him in check so that aside from putting us on the comedy map he didn't really inflict any lasting damage. But that election was also completely absurd with insane candidates and some competent ones. When you have years or decades of disillusionment about the establishment which proves over and over again that it will do nothing but maintain the status quo, when that status quo has left you worse off than the previous generation, you have a perfect storm for a buffoon willing to voice your concerns publicly (if crudely) to emerge.

He has yet to put forth a single plan. He just talks. His entire status as this big New York real estate developer? It's false. He hasn't been in about 20 years. He's not even in the top 15 on most lists of influential real estate developers in this city.
Hang on, he's going to build a wall. And he doesn't need a plan to pay for it because Mexico will pay for it. How does he know they will pay for it? He's going to talk to them.

I don't understand why you quoted me after I specifically indicated that laughing at Trump's odds is risky.

In many ways it reminds me of how Rob Ford was elected. Except that he was an inconsequential mayor of a city where the (even more) dysfunctional city council held him in check so that aside from putting us on the comedy map he didn't really inflict any lasting damage. But that election was also completely absurd with insane candidates and some competent ones. When you have years or decades of disillusionment about the establishment which proves over and over again that it will do nothing but maintain the status quo, when that status quo has left you worse off than the previous generation, you have a perfect storm for a buffoon willing to voice your concerns publicly (if crudely) to emerge.

The whole post wasn't geared towards you. I just quoted you because your statement was what triggered me to make the Sanders-dismissive comments. Everyone is very ready to proclaim Clinton as champion, but nobody is ready to do the same for Trump. But, Trump has higher odds of winning the primary than Clinton does.

Except that he was an inconsequential mayor of a city where the (even more) dysfunctional city council held him in check so that aside from putting us on the comedy map he didn't really inflict any lasting damage.

I generally agree that he didn't cause too much damage except that we would be well on our way to having an adequate and functioning transit system if he didn't cancel every single public transit project on his first day in office.

Transit_City.jpg

The gray is what we had before, and what we still have now. All the red and blue lines were cancelled (except the Eglinton Crosstown east-west one, and that's only because they were already boring the tunnel for it) :|

My concern at this point is that Hillary gets concerned about her chances in the general and picks someone even farther right than her as a running mate.

I'm out of this shitshow if the Donald is elected and said so nearly a year ago. It's hardly a slam dunk for the guy, but I'm a bit disgusted that the charade has gone on this long.

No problem, I miss the snow anyway. :up:

You can move in next to Alec Baldwin, he moved to Canada after W was elected just like he said he would, didn't he?

You can move in next to Alec Baldwin, he moved to Canada after W was elected just like he said he would, didn't he?

Haha. I mean, in all fairness, even though Ted Cruz is legitimately scarier than Donald Trump, Donald Trump is more worth being ashamed of and leaving the country. George W. Bush isn't worth picking up your bags and leaving. Donald Trump is a manipulator and an actor, and he's acting like a racist, xenophobic pig and it's working. That's definite grounds to actually be ashamed.

I haven't felt patriotic in a long, long time. Bush getting re-elected finished that off. Our population and government are responsible for a lot of embarrassing shit that I don't cosign. We owe a cool trillion to China. Race relations are a fucking cesspool. The NRA runs the country. I'm afraid to go to packed movie theaters. But there are worse places to live.

Trump would be the line. I can just imagine going to church and hearing ministers ask me to pray for and support the president after two straight terms of government condemnation, just because the guy is white and "Republican." I can imagine Donald Trump state of the union speeches wherein he pretends to talk about political sounding things and embarrasses everyone. The derisive laughter of every other first world nation on earth. Nope. Can't do it.

Last edited:
As an American, I am ashamed that so many of my fellow citizens have bought into a campaign fueled by hate and fear. I'd move to Canada but as a native Californian, I don't tolerate cold well.

I truly hope that if Trump wins the nomination, whatever is left of the moderate Republican party jumps ship and forms their own third party.

As an American, I am ashamed that so many of my fellow citizens have bought into a campaign fueled by hate and fear. I'd move to Canada but as a native Californian, I don't tolerate cold well.

I truly hope that if Trump wins the nomination, whatever is left of the moderate Republican party jumps ship and forms their own third party.

THIS

I could honestly care less about Trump, but it's the folks that are supporting him that scare me and embarrass me. They've been duped by one of the biggest cons in recent US history. They've allowed their ignorance, fear, and hatred to fuel their blind support for someone that doesn't even hold their "principles" or "values". It cracks me up that they've allowed their hypocrisy to be so prevalent, but it angers me to think they'll allow our country to burn and become the laughing stock of western civilization.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i think you're dealing with a group of people who feel very, very scared. they are traumatized by the Great Depression, 9/11, worldwide terror attacks, the skyrocketing price of education, housing, and health care, the fact that it is no longer possible for most to raise a family on a single income, and a black president.

that's why Trump's fascism authoritarianism appeals to some. these are the type of people who think they need semiautomatics to defend their homes.

the reality is that things really aren't all that bad, but that doesn't get ratings or round up caucus votes.

sex sells. but so does fear. lots and lots of fear.

Rick Scott floated as potential running mate for Donald Trump - Florida Politics

An exciting turn in Florida politics -- just months after shitty state senator Marco Rubio conceded his senate position for a presidential run, shitty state governor Rick Scott is being vetted by the Trump campaign as a potential VP pick!!!

Technically, Scott wouldn't have to resign, but Lord Scott sure is hated by a lot of Floridians for his damage to our social progress and education system. This sure would throw wood into the fire.

scott_voldemort_thumb.jpg

Fuck you, Scott Voldemort. You piece of shit snake ass bitch. You haven't done shit for our state. Your only political opponent was a former Republican who was ejected by your shitty party for being a dried up apricot, who is equally as detestable of a human being.

Please, Trump campaign, take him away. Imagine... a Florida where the governor could be blue... both senate seats could be blue... and maybe even the reps could be majority blue! I have an insatiable hate for the Republican Party of Florida.

The interesting thing about Trump is he doesn't seem to be losing support if you look at the primaries or believe the media, but seems to be losing plenty of support if I look at the micro level of my life. He's lost 2 out of his 3 supporters in here, my Facebook feed that was once filled with Trump support has almost none, in fact it has now some outspoken conservatives speaking out against him, and his yard signs are being replaced with Rubio and Cruz signs around here at a fast pace.

The interesting thing about Trump is he doesn't seem to be losing support if you look at the primaries or believe the media, but seems to be losing plenty of support if I look at the micro level of my life. He's lost 2 out of his 3 supporters in here, my Facebook feed that was once filled with Trump support has almost none, in fact it has now some outspoken conservatives speaking out against him, and his yard signs are being replaced with Rubio and Cruz signs around here at a fast pace.

Trickle-down stupidity. When it first started, it was all like "oh this is a good thing -- an outsider putting the stupid establishment in its place -- spread the word."

It's striking the difference between 2008 and 2016.

After 8 years of the dumpster fire that was W, with the economy crumbling, Barack Obama ran on hope.

After 8 years of economic recovery, Trump runs on fear and hate.

I'd rather have 4 more years of W than 4 years of Trump or Cruz.

It's striking the difference between 2008 and 2016.

After 8 years of the dumpster fire that was W, with the economy crumbling, Barack Obama ran on hope.

After 8 years of economic recovery, Trump runs on fear and hate.

I'd rather have 4 more years of W than 4 years of Trump or Cruz.

Yeah but those responding to fear have all been living in a vacuum of right wing news for 8 years. They believe a Muslim is in the WH, science is witchcraft, and that half the country is on welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom