2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I have a lot of respect for Scalia. He stood for principles that I agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

vOvQy7g.jpg

Not to get too far off the pressing topic of Justice Scalia, but here is a depressing but possibly pertinent piece which offers, among other things:

In the previous Gilded Age, religion and ethnicity served as the great disuniters of the working class. In his 2010 book Why Is There No Labor Party in the United States?, the sociologist Robin Archer writes that labor leaders, even in their heyday, “feared that if workers were forced to choose between union solidarity and their partisan and religious loyalties, they would choose the latter, and the unions themselves would be destroyed.” Trump’s occasional nods to economic populism no doubt appeal to some union members, but so too, one suspects, does his scapegoating of Muslims and immigrants.

When 1960s-style identity politics supplanted the New Deal’s class-based appeal among liberals, it was both a return to normalcy and an invitation to the divide-and-conquer strategy that worked so well for the plutocracy in the past. Today’s intra-progressive fights over the centrality of Black Lives Matter, the significance of a female president, and the online manners of “Bernie bros” and their detractors demonstrate just a few of the perils of allowing these divisions to fester at a time when the well-being of everyone but the extremely wealthy is under siege.

Why There Will Be No New New Deal | The Nation

Let us offer to Scalia in death the compassion and dignity he sought to deny to others when he was alive.

I mean that.

I will say something nice about him.

Thank you, Justice Scalia, for entering "jiggery pokery" into modern terminology. That's a pretty great phrase.

That's all I got. I cannot respect the man, who clearly had no respect for many people I hold dear.

Meanwhile at the Debate. Trump is scorching W and Jeb on Iraq War, not taking out Bin Laden before 9/11 when warned 'The House of Bush' taking it on the chin.

Is W running again? I didn't even realize there was a debate tonight. I guess i have spent too much time rolling around in my money, hookers, and blow to keep up with these things.

It's abundantly obvious to me that the two remaining governors are the only reasonable human beings left, and arguably have been throughout the whole race.

It's only a matter of time before these votes start to consolidate. I am willing to bet that even though trump leads the polls, "anybody but trump" is probably ahead of him.

It's only a matter of time before these votes start to consolidate. I am willing to bet that even though trump leads the polls, "anybody but trump" is probably ahead of him.

The momentum needs to be behind "anybody but Trump or Cruz".

Bush has no shot
same for Kasich
anybody but Trump is Cruz or Rubio
right now we are down to either Trump or ABT.

Carson doesn't even get a mention. For a reason.

But I think you're missing the fact that who are for Kasich/Bush are the same party of people who are for Rubio, in some sense (minor differences aside). Whereas the Trump/Cruz/Carson camp is the more extreme side.

Basically, by establishing that those two have no chance, Rubio has no chance. I don't think we've gotten that far, yet.

If you are correct the
Trump Cruz Carson side has this on a lock, they have been polling at 60-70 %

Well, I would say in *actual* results thus far, it's 50-60%. You'll notice that as each contest comes up, you see the likes of Kasich, Bush, and Rubio moving up versus their original projections from polls.

I'd say there's certainly a favoring/majority saying "out with the establishment." But I don't think it's quite enough to draw a conclusion.

The national mood is anti-establishment, that is why Bernie is up and Hillary is down,
GOP establishment candidates began up and went down, outsiders have come up
why will this change?? wishful thinking?

it's weird to say that I hate establishment as I am in college and my father works for pharmaceuticals, but i will say this; I'd like Bernie or other radically different candidate (not Donald, though) to be POTUS because it feels wrong not to do anything with current systems with decent amount of problems; we have to do something that may/may not lead to the solution to various problems.

Trump will even make America great for you.
Kind of guy he is.
And with his wife as First Lady I can finally be proud of my country again.

The national mood is anti-establishment, that is why Bernie is up and Hillary is down,

GOP establishment candidates began up and went down, outsiders have come up

why will this change?? wishful thinking?

No, not wishful thinking at all. I'm not voting for any of them, either way.

I just think that, without a stable clear cut leader (i.e. if it were anyone but Trump in 1st), the winner is unpredictable. We haven't gotten out of the gimmick states yet. Super Tuesday is generally a good day to start projecting winners.

If Trump wins SC against Cruz, it will be a model of how southern states will vote. I think Trump will run away with Super Tuesday. Cruz should win Texas. Some of those are winner take all primaries. He has an easy path to hit the clinch threshold. I don't think a brokered convention is likely.

If Trump wins SC against Cruz, it will be a model of how southern states will vote. I think Trump will run away with Super Tuesday. Cruz should win Texas. Some of those are winner take all primaries. He has an easy path to hit the clinch threshold. I don't think a brokered convention is likely.

yeah, about right

Super Tuesday is 2 weeks away, and Trump will win more of it, if not most of it. Cruz wins Texas, one big state, Kasich wins Ohio, one good size state, Rubio's Make A Wish foundation trip ends when Trump wins Florida. Most of this happens in the next 30-45 days. What will happen to make Trump crash in the polls, Jeb and his opposition team have had 100 million dollars to find something and take him out.

All this wishful thinking is pointless, keep hope alive?? what will change in 2-4 weeks?

Bernie bros have more reason to be hopeful than the anybody but trump loons people.

Still don't understand the fascination with constantly comparing Sanders and Trump.

Still don't understand the fascination with constantly comparing Sanders and Trump.

Due to the fact that special interest groups/lobbyists are known to finance campaigns and thus control government, people look at characters like Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, or Ron Paul with lots of respect because they run campaigns via small individual contribution (or in Trump's case, self funding).

So, they're more likely to be genuine in their approach, believe what they say, and ultimately fulfill their promises.

One of the biggest thing the voters are sick of is the machine of politics.

I wasn't referring to so much how their campaigns are financed, but more so their respective positions on the political compass relative to the other candidates. In the sense that they're both represented as "extremes" by centrists/Clinton supporters - in which, I can still understand in Trump's case although I've reconsidered my evaluation of him as a fascist in recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom