2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It pisses me off that the news speculates terrorism when they have no information. They WANT it to be terrorism.

See there was another article from Bernie complaining about closed and open primaries

Found this helpful

A copypaste from a comment on Facebook (not mine):

35 democratic contests thus far (excluding Northern Mariana Islands, Democrats Abroad, and American Samoa).

Hillary has won 20 contests, and Bernie has won 15.

12 were caucuses, and 23 were primaries.

Hillary has won 18 primaries, and 2 caucuses. Bernie has won 5 primaries, and 10 caucuses.

As of April 21, 2016, Rasmussen has 18,101,561 turnout for democrats in primaries, and 670,495 turnout for democrats in caucus states. Even if the caucus turnout was more than reported, it was NOWHERE near the over 18 million votes cast in the primaries. Therefore, even if the caucus turnout was slightly higher than reported, there is no feasible way that he could have more popular votes than Hillary, being that she's won vastly more of the primaries, which account for approximately 17 million more votes than caucuses.

What about CLOSED v. OPEN contests? Well, out of the 35 contests thus far for democrats, 12 were caucuses, and 23 were primaries.

16 of those primaries were open, and 7 were closed.

3 caucuses were open, and 9 were closed.

Who won those?

Bernie has won: 7 closed caucuses, and 3 open caucuses. 2 closed primaries, and 3 open primaries. Hillary has won: 2 closed caucuses, and 0 open caucuses. 5 closed primaries, and 13 open primaries.

Therefore: 9 of Bernie's 15 wins come from CLOSED states, be they caucus, or primary.

AND

7 of Hillary's 20 wins come from CLOSED states, be they caucus or primary.

Let's dispense with the idea that Bernie's losing because of voter suppression, because he has only won 5 primaries, and caucuses suppress the vote by their very nature. They are undemocratic, not 'one person, one vote,' and leave many poor, disabled, and otherwise stressed and busy people out due to the time commitment inherent in their format.

Let's also dispense with the idea that Bernie's losing because of closed states. He's won more in closed states than he has in open ones. The bulk of Hillary's wins come from OPEN primary states, where voting is accessible, and easy for Independents and Democrats.

Sources are here, feel free to check:

https://ballotpedia.org/Closed_primary

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ries_versus_caucuses_the_score_so_far_in_2016

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...s-largely-base-saying-we-win-when-voter-turn/

http://www.nytimes.com/.../primary-calendar-and-results.html

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Okay we get it. Splits. Hillary's favor. She's winning. Most splits will be in her favor.

Why are we debating this? She's the assumed nominee in like, a matter of a week or two. It hasn't been close since Ohio.

I'm not gonna let that one go, I know recovering alcoholics so the whole concept of "let them kill themselves" is pretty fucking infuriating to me.

yea, we get it. others on this very forum, who shall remain nameless, obviously do not.

But beating a dead horse like there's still a point to prove is so... silly.

Meanwhile, the republicans ARE rallying an anyone but Hillary movement. Infighting liberals is just polarizing from within and allowing this race to be a lot closer than it is. That goes both ways... talk to each other like you're on the same side. Because you are.

Dear Mark Cuban,

Nobody gives a shit that you'd say yes to a VP offer from either candidate. News flash, asshole, so would the rest of us.

This just heightens my anger with the news media. The same media that gave us Donald Trump.

Actually Cuban may not be a terrible choice for Hillary, he's hands down a much savvier business investor than Trump, he would really help in getting some of the bros back, he has Dennis Rodman's number in case we have issues with North Korea, and he might help flip TX.

Actually Cuban may not be a terrible choice for Hillary, he's hands down a much savvier business investor than Trump, he would really help in getting some of the bros back, he has Dennis Rodman's number in case we have issues with North Korea, and he might help flip TX.

It would be an absolute disaster and a petty attempt on Clinton's part to try and mimic Donald Trump. He would eat her up over it.

Obama's administration has been pretty damn good at killing high level terrorists.

While mistakes have been made, and they are extremely unfortunate, it is something that comes with fighting terrorism.

Imagine had W used this strategy (drones, special forces) instead of all out war. How many lives, on both sides, would have been saved?

why the eff don't we have a canadian politics thread?

[tweet]733415881984729088[/tweet]

i voted for change, but i didn't vote for this :tsk:

I love the reaction of the judge, who had never had to call for order in his court in his whole life. Because Canada.

Excuse me. Order. Bueller. Order.

What a weird term to jump to though. Why on earth would there be a judge in parliament?

Cool are we going to do the whole "why don't you know more about our politics you ignorant American" thing again? Sorry, I called him a judge. I must be really dumb. Moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom