2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit. I never said "don't talk about the major party candidate." I implied that people should stop listening to his obvious troll bait, as it only benefits him.

But how does it "only benefit him"? It doesn't benefit him if it turns people away. It doesn't benefit him if it finally opens some eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

But how does it "only benefit him"? It doesn't benefit him if it turns people away. It doesn't benefit him if it finally opens some eyes.

Who is it turning away that it already hasn't turned away? Who the hell thinks "oh Donald, that was the last straw. The first 47 comments you made that were racist and 86 that were xenophobic... I gave you passes. But now, no way. That was the straw that broke this voter's back!!"

The only people who haven't made their mind up on Trump don't give a flying fuck about those comments.

Who is it turning away that it already hasn't turned away? Who the hell thinks "oh Donald, that was the last straw. The first 47 comments you made that were racist and 86 that were xenophobic... I gave you passes. But now, no way. That was the straw that broke this voter's back!!"

The only people who haven't made their mind up on Trump don't give a flying fuck about those comments.

Who does it turn towards him? You haven't explained the benefit.

There have been plenty of people that have changed their mind about him, your cynicism is getting the best of you.

At least it won't be much of a surprise if in 2020 we get more reality tv stars running for office.

Trump is showing that you really need to be savvy with Marketing, Advertising, Labeling...and manipulation.

Curious to see if elections spiral way downhill from here, or if we start looking to elect the best that we've got. Would bet the former.

Seems like a different world when you see a JFK debate a LBJ.

Who does it turn towards him? You haven't explained the benefit.

There have been plenty of people that have changed their mind about him, your cynicism is getting the best of you.

Plenty of people have changed their mind about him and those people don't give a shit about his racist comments, that's my point.

Who does it turn towards him? The people that fucking hate Hilary Clinton with a passion but hate him too. When Trump Trump Trump Trump is shoved down their throats and they're already 'fiscal' Republicans who don't care about social issues, all press is good press.

Try going on different alleys of the Internet. Where being progressive might not be the majority. You'd be shocked to see the most logical of people suddenly appearing illogical and supporting Trump. On another forum I post on, I'm like one of three people who still see Trump as an abomination. One of the most logical posters I know, who doesn't even like Trump, swears by Trump not being racist blah blah blah. Of course what he's saying is racist. That doesn't mean that's how people are hearing it. It's how you're hearing it.

At least it won't be much of a surprise if in 2020 we get more reality tv stars running for office.

Trump is showing that you really need to be savvy with Marketing, Advertising, Labeling...and manipulation.

Curious to see if elections spiral way downhill from here, or if we start looking to elect the best that we've got. Would bet the former.

This is a depressing thought. I think you're right, but ye gods, is it sad to imagine.

Who does it turn towards him? The people that fucking hate Hilary Clinton with a passion but hate him too. When Trump Trump Trump Trump is shoved down their throats and they're already 'fiscal' Republicans who don't care about social issues, all press is good press.

Well since these are the only people left who are undecided, what should the media concentrate on? Everyone's made up their minds anyways, so let's not cover the campaign.

Try going on different alleys of the Internet. Where being progressive might not be the majority.
Try living in it :lol:

Well since these are the only people left who are undecided, what should the media concentrate on? Everyone's made up their minds anyways, so let's not cover the campaign.

Try living in it :lol:

Oh look, it's BVS being BVS again. What a surprise.

Because I totally didn't make it clear like three or four times that I didn't mean "stop covering Trump all together." Jesus Christ, do you know how annoying it is when a discussion turns into someone repeatedly asserting that you're taking a position that you have clarified isn't the case, multiple times?

And I do live in it, thanks.

do you know how annoying it is when a discussion turns into someone repeatedly asserting that you're taking a position that you have clarified isn't the case, multiple times?

Why yes I do.

This conversation is annoying because you're pretending everyone fits into an either/ or category and that it all stacks up on one side. Most will disagree with you; this is an important conversation to have, it's gotten Hispanic republicans to speak out against him and say they're not sure how they're going to vote now, it's made allies such as Newt speak out against him, and I think you're being rather tone deaf to dismiss it as not being news.

What would happen if in a few months, Trump comes out and says "You've been Punk'd!!!"

Would it force a change to how we as a country elect our top officials?

Would it be the greatest October surprise ever???

If you read some parts of Trump's books, he's basically laid out the gameplan on how to manipulate people to get a deal. He's doing the same things for his campaign.

Guess he really does know the art of a deal

Why yes I do.

So the million dollar question: why would you do it? Is that your method of argument? Marginalize a point being made by fuzzying up the argument being made into something it's not?

This conversation is annoying because you're pretending everyone fits into an either/ or category and that it all stacks up on one side. Most will disagree with you; this is an important conversation to have, it's gotten Hispanic republicans to speak out against him and say they're not sure how they're going to vote now, it's made allies such as Newt speak out against him, and I think you're being rather tone deaf to dismiss it as not being news.

"Tone deaf." Let me pull a comment that might come from BVS. "I don't think you even know what that means." There's nothing "tone deaf" about what I'm saying. You're entirely evading the point of the political spotlight. Call it an important discussion, fine. And when Donald Trump is president and you ask yourself "how could this happen?" you can look back at the absurd amount of free press he got for manipulating the media and you alike.

Instead, we can just talk about his economic plans, or lack thereof. Or we can discuss his plans for bettering race relations. Or lack thereof. Or we can talk about the illegitimacy of his immigration policy, and how he can't possibly enact anything he's saying in tandem with the absurd economic plan he has put forth.

So, by all means, enjoy his troll bait. Sit in the circle that is left, and jerk off about how progressive you are and how much you don't like his rhetoric. And, at the end of the day, it'll be old news, and people who are concerned about their money will still vote for an animal, even if begrudgingly.

And when Donald Trump is president and you ask yourself "how could this happen?" you can look back at the absurd amount of free press he got for manipulating the media and you alike.

Donald Trump, if elected, won't be elected because BVS et al. discussed Trump's daily idiocies.

The free press criticism is correct but there is nothing we can do about it. Even if every person who thinks that Trump is ridiculous stops watching TV entirely which is some sort of fantasy la-la land that doesn't exist, the media would continue to cover him because he would make news among the rest of the people and the global media. He is regularly on the front page of local papers in countries you'd probably struggle to identify on a map. I'm not sure how the solution to that is to tell people on this board to talk about the issues...

If you read some parts of Trump's books, he's basically laid out the gameplan on how to manipulate people to get a deal. He's doing the same things for his campaign.

Guess he really does know the art of a deal

We're being Grubered by good old DT.

"Tone deaf." Let me pull a comment that might come from BVS. "I don't think you even know what that means." There's nothing "tone deaf" about what I'm saying. You're entirely evading the point of the political spotlight. Call it an important discussion, fine. And when Donald Trump is president and you ask yourself "how could this happen?" you can look back at the absurd amount of free press he got for manipulating the media and you alike.

Free press. Yes we all agree with you, but you're the one being manipulated if you think all press is good press. You keep skirting around this. This story alone has turned people against him that weren't against him last week.

Instead, we can just talk about his economic plans, or lack thereof. Or we can discuss his plans for bettering race relations. Or lack thereof. Or we can talk about the illegitimacy of his immigration policy, and how he can't possibly enact anything he's saying in tandem with the absurd economic plan he has put forth.
Or maybe we can do both?

Donald Trump, if elected, won't be elected because BVS et al. discussed Trump's daily idiocies.

The free press criticism is correct but there is nothing we can do about it. Even if every person who thinks that Trump is ridiculous stops watching TV entirely which is some sort of fantasy la-la land that doesn't exist, the media would continue to cover him because he would make news among the rest of the people and the global media. He is regularly on the front page of local papers in countries you'd probably struggle to identify on a map. I'm not sure how the solution to that is to tell people on this board to talk about the issues...

Obviously it's a fantasy la la land to imagine we'd all stop watching tv. And of course, me saying this on a web forum or two doesn't change a thing, even if every person I ever said it to listened. But this is just winding down to another tragedy of the commons argument. The idea that hey, since it's already in place there's nothing that I the individual can do about it... I don't agree with that mentality. That term is largely used in an environmental sustainability fashion. Well, I'm just one person who doesn't recycle, therefore I have no impact. I disagree. You have all the impact, because you influence others. If you start to recycle, others around you might. If you stop listening to garbage on the news, others might do the same around you. And eventually, we might see a *little* less garbage on tv.

The media is a business. They air what you watch most. Trump gets high shock and awe viewership. Stop being so shocked and they'll find something else to show you. Like how gorilla mom isn't getting prosecuted, did you hear!!?

Free press. Yes we all agree with you, but you're the one being manipulated if you think all press is good press. You keep skirting around this. This story alone has turned people against him that weren't against him last week.

I'm being manipulated? What, manipulated into not clicking on the click bait on CNN and instead choosing something else to read? How am I being manipulated?

And who exactly has turned on the Donald for this comment? I don't see anyone here come out and say "hey I'm voting for Clinton now." I haven't heard anyone of my crazy far right family say that. Nor anyone at work. If you want tone deaf, those are the people who are tone deaf. They don't hear the racist tone that you hear. I hear it, and I think it's damaging to make it the center of attention. Donald Trump is already an illegitimate leader for the sake of being president. Thats what people need to hear.

You're manipulated into thinking that all press is good press and that this story somehow is in Trump's favor.

Yeah? Who is manipulating me? Can you cite examples of when bad press has stopped or hindered Donald Trump?

As far as I'm concerned, he steamrolled the primaries and is in a tight albeit early race with Clinton.

Hopefully this means the constant whinging over Sanders will cease for good now - here and amongst many liberal media pundits. And less of these BigMacphisto vs. everyone else walls of text that drag on for 5 pages at a time. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom