2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly will be a landslide against Trump. In fact, of the votes cast for Clinton, about 90% will be against him and about 10% will be for her.

#ImNotReallyWithHerButMaybeThatBrainIssueWillCatchUpWithHerAndSheWontBePresidentForLong

Jesus, sour grapes much? What does it say of you that you hope for the failing health of another human being? I don't care for Trump, but I wouldn't wish for anything bad to happen to him.

He's the nominee, he was placed there by the people of this country. It's up to the voters to decide.

now we know what really drives the Sanders supporter: hate and fear, and misogyny as pure as the driven snow. the mask is off, the curtain has been pulled, we now know they were faking it the whole time, and as their feeble chances worsened, the knives came out and their bloodlust -- matched only by their self-hate -- only deepened. :tsk:

RIP, Bernie Bros. your privilege ends here.

Last edited:
It would certainly explain their passion for destroying every comment section on every political article in the social media world :)

Were PUMAs this unhinged 8 years ago? I don't remember it being quite that way but I was graduating from law school then and admittedly in an Obama bubble.

What exactly is a "Bernie Bro" for you all? Someone whose devotion to Sanders makes them actively hate Hillary, or simply someone who has supported / cast a vote for him? Because the rhetoric in here seems to have gotten to the point that there can be no sensible reason for supporting him, which I think is a gross oversimplification.

What exactly is a "Bernie Bro" for you all? Someone whose devotion to Sanders makes them actively hate Hillary, or simply someone who has supported / cast a vote for him? Because the rhetoric in here seems to have gotten to the point that there can be no sensible reason for supporting him, which I think is a gross oversimplification.

I do think it brings up a point that it's important to separate Bernie with some of his supporters...though I did like Bernie a lot more before the primaries because I felt that his overall stubbornness became quite obvious and concerning.

what the fuck is wrong with you?

Some of us have been asking that long before Bernie ever ran for President.

Just check out his opinions on most anything. From Star Wars to U2. Maybe even film. Or just music in general. Didn't you hear? People only buy Adele albums because Adele is overweight and her fans are too.

i used to think there were many sensible, rational reasons for supporting Sanders.

then i met the Bernie Bros. :tsk:

Bernie brought on some of this bust attitude himself.

There are Bernie supporters who don't like Clinton but realize she's the nominee and didn't cheat her way there. The cards may have been stacked in her favor, but they don't scream out conspiracy theories as to how this election has shaken out.

A BernieBro, IMO, is someone who will not budge on any issue but one supported by Bernie or what they feel is progressive. They will be very passionate, loud, and potentially violent towards those who aren't on their wagon. No amount of facts, reason, or kindness can sway them. It is their way or the highway.

It is frustrating to try and hold a conversation with them, as you'll be labeled a conformist, establishment, or crooked (and I understand it goes the other way with lumping any Bernie supporter as a Bro)

I have yet to meet a person, or come across someone online that is as passionate about Clinton. That probably has to do with her more than the supporters, but it feels like Clinton supporters are more grounded in their voices and debating. And it has less to do with Clinton, as I feel the same would be done with another candidate (say Biden).

I think there are some wonderful ideas and proposals offered up by Bernie. He falls more into line with my own values, and maybe at a younger age I would have been more aggressive in my support for him.

Instead I try to see how viable these policies are to becoming law. Even if both houses were Blue, I don't want to enact a policy that could potentially destroy the economy or bankrupt us even MORE.

I support small, incremental changes over time. Policies that see all sides, and have support from both isles of government. Unfortunately our congress acts just like we do on social media. Us versus them, my way or the highway. And demonize your opponent if they do not share your view 100%

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I must not ever have encountered in real life the kind of Bernie zealots a lot of you talk about, so I have a hard time understanding the vitriol for them.

From my perspective I can see how someone would be excited about a candidate who represents an alternative to Clinton, who strikes me as plenty capable but ultimately a centrist who will likely only kick the semi-liberal can down the road for another four or eight years. I certainly don't see it as fair to dismiss all Bernie support as disguised misogyny.

A BernieBro, IMO, is someone who will not budge on any issue but one supported by Bernie or what they feel is progressive. They will be very passionate, loud, and potentially violent towards those who aren't on their wagon. No amount of facts, reason, or kindness can sway them. It is their way or the highway.

I'd be very curious to see some demographics on Bernie support, because I think the allegations of obstinance and hypocrisy are a lot more fair if they are generally well-off than if they are people who are really affected on a daily basis by debt, wealth inequality, etc. Personally I think the Bernie phenomenon is very telling of cultural and economic tensions that Clinton has been dancing around to an extent.

I must not ever have encountered in real life the kind of Bernie zealots a lot of you talk about, so I have a hard time understanding the vitriol for them.

From my perspective I can see how someone would be excited about a candidate who represents an alternative to Clinton, who strikes me as plenty capable but ultimately a centrist who will likely only kick the semi-liberal can down the road for another four or eight years. I certainly don't see it as fair to dismiss all Bernie support as disguised misogyny.

#notallBernieBros

It certainly will be a landslide against Trump. In fact, of the votes cast for Clinton, about 90% will be against him and about 10% will be for her.

#ImNotReallyWithHerButMaybeThatBrainIssueWillCatchUpWithHerAndSheWontBePresidentForLong

Dude, seriously?

Grow up.

Edited to add:

I'd be very curious to see some demographics on Bernie support, because I think the allegations of obstinance and hypocrisy are a lot more fair if they are generally well-off than if they are people who are really affected on a daily basis by debt, wealth inequality, etc. Personally I think the Bernie phenomenon is very telling of cultural and economic tensions that Clinton has been dancing around to an extent.

Well, speaking for myself, I do fall into that group of people who are really affected that you speak of, and I've always been equally supportive of both Bernie and Hilary, and would've been fine with either of them being the Democratic nominee. So I don't know how that factors into your observations.

Last edited:
Well, I think the portrayal of Bernie supporters in here has been as obsessively self-interested in a way that makes them oblivious to the bigger picture. But in some people's case self-interest and the bigger picture are the same thing.

I'm lucky in that the majority of my friends who support Bernie, are not zealots. They are ardent, but are not alleging vast conspiracies. I do have a couple of friends and friends of friends in the zealot category. One woman was particularly nasty towards Clinton supporters.

I've also ran into more than a few on Twitter.

The antipathy here has more to do with Big MacPhisto and the zealots we know than the actual candidate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

Not even sure why I'd fall under the Bernie banner in the first place. I supported the guy, but it's about progressive issues for myself. Any comment I have made about Clinton comes from where I stand on the spectrum and how I feel about her and nothing about that would be different if Bernie had ran or not. Gotta love how quick people are to say there's misogyny and hate involved for me simply not agreeing with her. I guess I'm a white supremacist too for not voting for Obama either?

The fake hash-tag was supposed to be from the example of people supporting Clinton but not liking her rather than from myself and it's just a joke to begin with. I for one could never reflect that sentiment because I never will "be with her". Still will make no apologies for it though. Words are just words and actions are everything. Be mad at the person who actually accepts money from Goldman Sachs and supports fracking and sent thousands of Americans to their deaths over in Iraq rather than some guy on a message board.

Bernie lost this thing fair and square and I've acknowledged that since the New York results closed any glimmer of hope he had of winning this thing. Hillary Clinton is clearly seen as an abysmal human being by almost anyone outside of the Democratic party bubble and this country could come a long way if people would stop selling out leftist interests to a group that for decades has often been antithetical to the cause.

Last edited:
The fake hash-tag was supposed to be from the example of people supporting Clinton but not liking her rather than from myself and it's just a joke to begin with. I for one could never reflect that sentiment because I never will "be with her". Still will make no apologies for it though. Words are just words and actions are everything. Be mad at the person who actually accepts money from Goldman Sachs and supports fracking and sent thousands of Americans to their deaths over in Iraq rather than some guy on a message board.

you are a terrible person.

Thank you for your opinion. The mock outrage of the internet is wonderful.

Maybe some of you will now needlessly show up at Trump rallies with signs because he's such a bad man? Then you can tell your kids years from now that you took a bold stance and said racism was bad and were really politically active and a wonderful human being because you voted for a black man and a white woman, even if they accomplished next to nothing in their sixteen years of office, appointed Wall Street problem makers to important posts and murdered thousands of innocent people with drone strikes. :up:

Who needs to actually change the problems in society when you can just try to label others in online forums, Twitter, etc.?

Some of us have been asking that long before Bernie ever ran for President.

Just check out his opinions on most anything. From Star Wars to U2. Maybe even film. Or just music in general. Didn't you hear? People only buy Adele albums because Adele is overweight and her fans are too.

This is particularly juicy. Mostly because it means someone has actually paid attention to some posts of mine that they disagreed with and that had them stewing for years and ready to bring up examples. I can almost never remember who said what after reading thousands of internet message board posts over the years to be honest, and even if I did, I could care less about what someone said in the past.

I'm not even sure where I've said anything about Star Wars or U2 that was really outside of the general opinion around here although I certainly took a lot of flack for saying I disliked SOI and pointing out that it was their least liked album from a critical perspective. Big whoop. Is it now wrong to have an opinion?

The Adele remark and "controversy" though is cheeky because it shows a quick way to turn words around. I never said people only buy her records because they're overweight. Not once. Rather I implied that her being overweight leads to an identity identification thing where perhaps some overweight people are more inclined to want to buy her records, partially explaining why 21 has far outsold Thriller if you take into account today's music environment.

But no, god forbid you make any suggestion that someone's look and background affect their record sales in a medium that's been notorious for trying to make anyone famous a singer in order to cash in. Or dare we bring up the fact that hip hop listeners are mostly black and country listeners mostly Southern whites?

Substantive discussion? Nah, not when you can try and point the finger and make yourself feel good. But god forbid you to do that to a Democrat! They're always out of bounds.

Conveniently ignoring their support of slavery and that far more Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act, of course. :hmm:

Not even sure why I'd fall under the Bernie banner in the first place. I supported the guy, but it's about progressive issues for myself. Any comment I have made about Clinton comes from where I stand on the spectrum and how I feel about her and nothing about that would be different if Bernie had ran or not.
There are only about 100 posts that speak otherwise.

Gotta love how quick people are to say there's misogyny and hate involved for me simply not agreeing with her. I guess I'm a white supremacist too for not voting for Obama either?

If you think it has anything to do with you not agreeing with her than you're simply delusional. Your posts often dripped with racism and misogyny. YOU as an individual, nothing to do with Bernie supporters, you just happen to be a horrible representative for them and you were the only consistent one.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe some of you will now needlessly show up at Trump rallies with signs because he's such a bad man? Then you can tell your kids years from now that you took a bold stance and said racism was bad and were really politically active and a wonderful human being because you voted for a black man and a white woman, even if they accomplished next to nothing in their sixteen years of office, appointed Wall Street problem makers to important posts and murdered thousands of innocent people with drone strikes. :up:

Who needs to actually change the problems in society when you can just try to label others in online forums, Twitter, etc.?

Not that I would phrase it this way, but there are parts of it I agree with, e.g. Hillary being a candidate "the left" can feel morally good about without having to make any of the sacrifices that would accompany expanded social welfare, more affordable college, etc, and it's a big part of why the US will likely never see any of the economic safety nets that a good many European states have. People on both sides of the political aisle think it should be someone else who foots the bill for the betterment of society, and if called upon to pay themselves, all of a sudden that plan becomes "unrealistic."

That last line about Democrats and slavery is amazing. It's straight off the pages of TownHall or NRO.

So many pots, so many kettles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom