2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #241
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,443
Local Time: 06:25 AM
https://youtu.be/ep2pyvKTiG0
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #242
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 05:25 AM
You guys just don't understand math.

Trump: 2+2 = whatever you want it to be, we just print more.

Sanders: 2+2 = millions, the messiah could feed the nation with just one fish and one piece of bread.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #243
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,443
Local Time: 06:25 AM
Clinton won the Washington primary yesterday but will recieve no delegates because the establishment already awarded them to the old white guy in the race in a silly, voter repressing caucus earlier in the year.

Clinton won the primary by more votes than the total number of people who voted in the entire caucus, yet will lose the delegates in the state 74 to 27 because the establishment already decided the caucus will count and not the primary.

Rigged! It's rigged!
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #244
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,038
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Wait, why the hell does Washington have a caucus and a primary?

Is there also going to be one presidential election by secret ballot and then a second by verbal declaration? With the exact weighting of results determined by the temperature on the day of each vote?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
My media knowledge of that election coverage starts and stops at the RATM video for Testify.

Watch the HBO movie Recount. Very entertaining with a great cast all about the Florida vote count. Quotable dialogue.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Oregoropa is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,588
Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Clinton won the Washington primary yesterday but will recieve no delegates because the establishment already awarded them to the old white guy in the race in a silly, voter repressing caucus earlier in the year.

Clinton won the primary by more votes than the total number of people who voted in the entire caucus, yet will lose the delegates in the state 74 to 27 because the establishment already decided the caucus will count and not the primary.

Rigged! It's rigged!

Only rigged when It benefits Clinton, DUH

Wish the CA primary was this week. Just have it over with. There are demonstrations every weekend at Balboa (which is my backyard) so it's screwing over my parking situation and the constant horn honking is irritating haha. Lots of angry revolution talk through speaker phones


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BEAL is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #247
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Ahh my mistake. I'd start the countdown to Shorten cracking it, but the ALP Right already seems to be doing a good enough job for him.
and now the ALP Left is fully in support of their party's refugee policy
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #248
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,962
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Only rigged when It benefits Clinton, DUH

Wish the CA primary was this week. Just have it over with. There are demonstrations every weekend at Balboa (which is my backyard) so it's screwing over my parking situation and the constant horn honking is irritating haha. Lots of angry revolution talk through speaker phones


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's hard for me to feel bad for you when you tell me in this post that Balboa is your backyard. :P


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
digitize is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,588
Local Time: 11:25 AM
Haha. Yeah. Wonderful view of downtown skyline and harbor. To my left is balboa. Def my favorite place I've lived so far in SD


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BEAL is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #250
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,378
Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Change it to "if you don't vote for Clinton you therefore vote for Trump" and it is true.

A vote is a tool. That's all.

No, that's not true. Depending upon issues that people hold disproportionately near to them, that is not true. You can't be such an idealist over it. There are people out there who legitimately do not like Trump or Clinton and aren't abandoning some fictitious moral obligation to side with a party.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 05-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #251
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,378
Local Time: 06:25 AM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Wait, why the hell does Washington have a caucus and a primary?

Is there also going to be one presidential election by secret ballot and then a second by verbal declaration? With the exact weighting of results determined by the temperature on the day of each vote?

I'm equally confused. Yesterday I saw a bunch of friends on Facebook in Washington getting out to vote and I was rather unsure.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #252
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
No, that's not true. Depending upon issues that people hold disproportionately near to them, that is not true. You can't be such an idealist over it. There are people out there who legitimately do not like Trump or Clinton and aren't abandoning some fictitious moral obligation to side with a party.
How is he being an "idealist"? It's just common sense. You can speak to the merits all you want, but the practicality of it is; in a 2 party system if you don't vote for the major candidate that is running opposite of the person you don't want as president then you are voting to help that candidate.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,378
Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How is he being an "idealist"? It's just common sense. You can speak to the merits all you want, but the practicality of it is; in a 2 party system if you don't vote for the major candidate that is running opposite of the person you don't want as president then you are voting to help that candidate.

How is viewing every single voter as an asset to his side being an idealist? I don't know, maybe because it's oversimplifying the dynamics and reasons for voting.

If I'm voting for Clinton, therefore I am not voting for Trump. If I'm not voting for Clinton, therefore I am not not voting for Trump (or, I am). That's pretty much denying the antecedent in a nutshell. You're supporting argument is a total logical fallacy. It doesn't hold up.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #254
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
No, that's not true. Depending upon issues that people hold disproportionately near to them, that is not true. You can't be such an idealist over it. There are people out there who legitimately do not like Trump or Clinton and aren't abandoning some fictitious moral obligation to side with a party.



in the American system, a third party vote is pure protest. you are in fact throwing your vote away in the mostly misguided hope that it will matter next time. in the parliamentary system you can vote your conscience and expect your chosen MPs to make a deal with whoever they find least loathsome, but not here.

you may not like it, but -- and i will qualify my statement with the following -- if you live in a state where your vote matters it is your civic responsibility to vote for the major party candidate who best represents your values. if you can't figure out who that is, it's your job to figure it out and make peace with it, down to the state and to the Congressional race. if you choose not to use it productively, you do own the result. if you believe that blowing up the American way is genuinely better than leveraging the current system in order to change it, you probably have limited experience with actual revolutions.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
in the parliamentary system you can vote your conscience and expect your chosen MPs to make a deal with whoever they find least loathsome, but not here.
That's not how it really works.

First of all you can't vote your conscience if you are in a contested riding because so many parties can mean that the vote is split with a loathsome person coming out on top in the end so you have to vote strategically. Second, you most certainly cannot "expect" your MP to make a deal with whoever they find the least loathsome, voting is nearly uniformly along party lines.
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com