2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so happy to see Clinton's speech yesterday. This is what i've been waiting for from her. Calm, collected, and brutal. Trump has looked even more like a flailing idiot than usual this week.

I have to say I also thought she did very well in that speech, riding on her strengths. I'm not her biggest fan but compare her speech to that idiot Trump tweeting like a dumb teenager and it's pretty much all the information you should need.

Clinton just needs to be steady, show understanding of policy and world affairs. Trump will continue to do what he does, which is act like a moron. He'll keep his base, but Clinton has the chance to add to hers (Bernie supporters, moderate GOP, Independents)

It really is sad that in 2016, these candidates are the best a nation with over 340 million people can produce. Ideally we would want someone who is the BEST at what they do, or possibly the smartest, most logical ideas to progress society forward.

Clinton is a liar, she's shady, and she's a politician. She knows the game, she is also extremely smart. She just isn't the most likable person, in fact, she's one of the least favorable public personas presented for POTUS in a while. From those who have worked with her in private, the reviews are better. She's brilliant, she wants to learn and understand policy. But none of that really comes across when she is in public.

The reason I am voting for her is that she will not fuck everything up. Her worst case presidency is a GOP lite term. She'll be socially liberal, more conservative towards economy, and possibly a hawk in terms of Middle East. Basically Obama 2.0 She will not nominate SC Justices who will send us backwards. Again, worst case she nominates moderate judges who won't ruffle feathers.

Best case she ditches her tendencies and jumps on some of the more leftist policies being thrown out by Bernie (and others) as she needs that base to get behind her and reward that vote.

What is the best case for Trump? That he surrounds himself with brilliant minds in his cabinet (and note that he's talked about having Sarah Palin in his cabinet), and delegates the work (though he'd still take credit for it all). When it comes to world affairs, possible war or military action, he defaults to the generals to make the best decisions versus acting out of his own ego/feelings. Things keep churning as normal.

Now what's the worst case scenario and are we willing to risk that?

Hillary Clinton's speech was brilliant and brutal. She eviscerated him. I also cannot wait until President Obama gets into the fray.

Basically, with his public questioning of a federal judge, Donald Trump has just questioned the patriotism of every Mexican-American. He can go fuck himself.

This made me smile. But also vomit.

Vomile? Smomit?

That would sum up this whole cycle.

[TWEET]738745426879369216[/TWEET]

Basically, with his public questioning of a federal judge, Donald Trump has just questioned the patriotism of every Mexican-American. He can go fuck himself.

To all those that say; 'you slap the racist label on him' or 'we all know he just means the illegal ones':

STFU

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i see her having no problems winning over lots of centrist to center right voters, especially women.

Yep. Just need the dust to settle after next week and the campaigns can really begin.

I really thought Trump would scale it back a bit once getting the nomination, but he seems to be doubling down on the stupid.

But this election is going to probably be the ugliest, rudest, and downright most despicable ever.

I have a feeling the events in San Jose will only become more frequent, and probably more violent before November.

While I cannot fathom why someone would support Trump other than thinking his Presidency would destroy the system and something new/better can come into place, there is absolutely no need for the violence against his supporters. It really fits into the narrative he's been throwing out there that the Left/Mexicans/Immigrants are out to punish the American way of life.

A matchup with Trump may well play to her strengths.

She doesn't need to be inspirational. She needs to discredit him. That she can do as effectively as anyone.

To the surprise of no one, and less than a month after initially saying he was "not ready," Paul Ryan has endorsed Trump.

Way to make a principled stand, Paul.*

*of course, when Trump is defeated, Ryan will point to his initial hesitance as a principled stand as he gears up for the 2020 race.

* future Ryan campaign manager above

:cool:

Clinton just needs to be steady, show understanding of policy and world affairs. Trump will continue to do what he does, which is act like a moron. He'll keep his base, but Clinton has the chance to add to hers (Bernie supporters, moderate GOP, Independents)

It really is sad that in 2016, these candidates are the best a nation with over 340 million people can produce. Ideally we would want someone who is the BEST at what they do, or possibly the smartest, most logical ideas to progress society forward.

Clinton is a liar, she's shady, and she's a politician. She knows the game, she is also extremely smart. She just isn't the most likable person, in fact, she's one of the least favorable public personas presented for POTUS in a while. From those who have worked with her in private, the reviews are better. She's brilliant, she wants to learn and understand policy. But none of that really comes across when she is in public.

The reason I am voting for her is that she will not fuck everything up. Her worst case presidency is a GOP lite term. She'll be socially liberal, more conservative towards economy, and possibly a hawk in terms of Middle East. Basically Obama 2.0 She will not nominate SC Justices who will send us backwards. Again, worst case she nominates moderate judges who won't ruffle feathers.

Best case she ditches her tendencies and jumps on some of the more leftist policies being thrown out by Bernie (and others) as she needs that base to get behind her and reward that vote.

What is the best case for Trump? That he surrounds himself with brilliant minds in his cabinet (and note that he's talked about having Sarah Palin in his cabinet), and delegates the work (though he'd still take credit for it all). When it comes to world affairs, possible war or military action, he defaults to the generals to make the best decisions versus acting out of his own ego/feelings. Things keep churning as normal.

Now what's the worst case scenario and are we willing to risk that?

Uh.... besides possible causing WWW 3, or totally ignoring climate change!?! :uhoh:

Then if he goes along w the worst of the Rightwing Republicans/Conservatives...

Slashing $ for or privatizing Social Security, Social Security Disability, Supplemental Securiry Incone, Medicare, Medicaid, more cuts to Food Stamps ( President Obama did a real disservices in reducing FS benefits :crack: )
Does anyone care about this?

As bad in other ways- increased "tolerence" of really nasty racism, sexism ( along w continued micro aggressions) and, Islamophobia. No new gun-control laws.

Not sure if he would look the other way if the Christian Right and American Christian Dominiasts :crack: upped their game.

All i can think of for now...

When will the two of them go head-to-head? I can't wait for that.

Also looking forward to Clint Eastwood wheeling out the empty chair again at the RNC.

While these kinds of protests are never justified and do more harm than good, are they really surprising in light of Trump's blatantly racist demagoguery and his own stoking of violence amongst his supporters as a way of dealing with protestors?

Also, does anyone thing he's really going to get 35% of the Latino vote?

I guess the best thing to do is just ignore Trump and hope he goes away. It always works, history can attest to that.

Also, does anyone thing he's really going to get 35% of the Latino vote?

I think he can match Romneys 27% share. Possibly do better. Immigration is not the top priority among all Latino voters. I have met Latino voters who are resentful of illegal immigrants for receiving government benefits, while they work their butts off and pay taxes. The economy is still the number one issue in the election.

I think he can match Romneys 27% share. Possibly do better. Immigration is not the top priority among all Latino voters. I have met Latino voters who are resentful of illegal immigrants for receiving government benefits, while they work their butts off and pay taxes. The economy is still the number one issue in the election.

Are there "Latinos resentful of illegal immigrants"? Of course. But are there Latinos who are resentful of Trump's portrayal of them? Of course.

How do you think he's gained any of that demographic? From where I stand, he's lost more than he's gained.

If the economy is the number one issue, then why isn't Trump talking about real solutions to improve it?

Last edited:
If the economy is the number one issue, then why isn't Trump talking about real solutions to improve it?

Consider the fact that we only added 38,000 jobs in the recent report, goes to show the current conventional thinking is not working.

As for specifics, Trump's plan to lower the corporate tax rate to 15% would be a game changer. It would be a shot of adrenaline to current US business and encourage them to keep their interests stateside. It would the US a desirable location for foreign companies to set up shop. You may argue it's a trickle down fantasy, but it's Trump's outside-the-box business sense that people find attractive. If you loosen the chains on business you will get more job growth, break out of the wage stagnation the middle class has been stuck in for the past fifteen years.

Initially you might see a net loss in tax revenue going to the government coffers, but that will turn around quickly as business expansion blossoms. In the end the average American looks at their bi-weekly paycheck as what really matters when asked about the Economy. If Trump can deftly articulate a string of pearls as to how the change in corporate tax rate will result in bigger pay checks he will find success across the entire spectrum of voters.

Consider the fact that we only added 38,000 jobs in the recent report, goes to show the current conventional thinking is not working.

As for specifics, Trump's plan to lower the corporate tax rate to 15% would be a game changer. It would be a shot of adrenaline to current US business and encourage them to keep their interests stateside. It would the US a desirable location for foreign companies to set up shop. You may argue it's a trickle down fantasy, but it's Trump's outside-the-box business sense that people find attractive. If you loosen the chains on business you will get more job growth, break out of the wage stagnation the middle class has been stuck in for the past fifteen years.

Initially you might see a net loss in tax revenue going to the government coffers, but that will turn around quickly as business expansion blossoms. In the end the average American looks at their bi-weekly paycheck as what really matters when asked about the Economy. If Trump can deftly articulate a string of pearls as to how the change in corporate tax rate will result in bigger pay checks he will find success across the entire spectrum of voters.

Outside the box?

This is just GOP orthodoxy. And has been since 1981.

There's nothing outside the box about his plan :lol: But apparently he's still fooling some of you. How he's fooling some of you with college degrees is baffling.

It takes a lot to make significant demographic changes, and Trump has ONLY offended that demographic. You would be a fool to think he gets the same or more than Romney.

The fact that you think that numbers in one job report (which have not been consistent with prior months, so were unexpected) "goes to show" anything just tells us that you're not looking at economic fundamentals but parroting a talking point of the week.

:lmao:

Yeah, because calling into question the fairness of an American judge because he happens to be of Mexican descent is going to appeal to Latinos. I'm Latina and know plenty of other Latinos, not a single one would dream of voting for Trump.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

The fact that you think that numbers in one job report (which have not been consistent with prior months, so were unexpected) "goes to show" anything just tells us that you're not looking at economic fundamentals but parroting a talking point of the week.

I like to look at the trend of the labor force participation rate.

Do people still believe this nonsense? We've had 30 years of tax cuts for the rich and corporations that shows that this does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom