2016 US Presidential Election Pt. IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Embracing tablets won't eliminate the textbook cartel, unfortunately. It'll just make them more profitable. Pearson, Wiley, and McGraw Hill still dominate the market, and could virtually charge the same price for digital content as they do for physical content.

We also need to embrace tablet technology and shed the textbook cartel. Lord knows we don't want anymore schoolbook depositories. Lugging around all those books killed my back in HS.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ask LA Unified how that went with ipads and Pearson.

Also, how the hell will my school, which gets zero federal funding afford tablets for 400+ kids, and the technicians to keep them updated and running? Or is lowering my salary to pay for that part of this lovely conservative fantasy?

Thank you for the thought out response. For the most part I agree with much of what you're saying, although I believe you're going to have to give your education stance a little more thought. But another time another thread...

Agreed. I don't agree with everything, but it was a nice, well thought out, polite response, and I think the response in here was pretty rude. You can't say you want change and then refuse to listen to others thoughts and ideas.

Embracing tablets won't eliminate the textbook cartel, unfortunately. It'll just make them more profitable. Pearson, Wiley, and McGraw Hill still dominate the market, and could virtually charge the same price for digital content as they do for physical content.

True. It'll be better for kids posture at least.

Ask LA Unified how that went with ipads and Pearson.

Also, how the hell will my school, which gets zero federal funding afford tablets for 400+ kids, and the technicians to keep them updated and running? Or is lowering my salary to pay for that part of this lovely conservative fantasy?

A Kindle Read only tablet could probably be purchased in bulk for schools around ~35 dollars

Christ, what an asshole.

Carly Fiorina 'ambushed' field trip to use kids as anti-abortion props, Iowa parent says - Washington Times

Sarah Isgur Flores, Mrs. Fiorina’s deputy campaign manager, said the group followed the candidate into the event by choice.

Yeah, she probably told them they'd all get candy and puppies. Too bad they didn't all point and scream "STRANGER DANGER" and run away like they were taught when terrible people try to get them to do something stupid and/or bad.

I was relieved that she didn't give away useless HP printers that never print anything.

Christ, what an asshole.

Carly Fiorina 'ambushed' field trip to use kids as anti-abortion props, Iowa parent says - Washington Times

Sarah Isgur Flores, Mrs. Fiorina’s deputy campaign manager, said the group followed the candidate into the event by choice.

Yeah, she probably told them they'd all get candy and puppies. Too bad they didn't all point and scream "STRANGER DANGER" and run away like they were taught when terrible people try to get them to do something stupid and/or bad.

It's not kidnapping of the preschooler doesn't say no!

It's funny to read in here the idea that privatising schooling a long-standing conservative position. I can't speak for US educational history, but in Australia and New Zealand some of the push for public schooling systems actually came from conservative politicians and groups. I've read the parliamentary debates and they were concerned that students were being taught the "wrong" things by the "wrong" people. The main opposition to public schooling came from those who wanted to protect their religion's schooling systems (and the Catholics managed to retain a system in parallel to that run by the states); most other groups, left or right, acknowledged the value of public schooling. For progressives, it was a tide that would lift all boats; for conservatives, it reduced the moral dangers of unqualified people teaching in squalid conditions with no oversight.

Just a question for any of you who checked in here outraged or just to challenge Trump's moratorium on Muslim immigration. The question is how do we treat Muslims that are in legal (in their home country) polygamous marriages when they immigrate to the U.S?
Are they recognized as all married for tax, inheritance, and benefits purposes?

He feels he can gain some traction in the middle if it is Sanders vs Cruz, or Sanders vs Trump.

Says he'll wait till March to see what the landscape is like.

It is a curious move, lots of rumors flying around. It's extremely late to get in the race. One side is saying it's because he's counting on Clinton being indicted the other is saying the right is in panic mode. Either way it looks like no one believes the right is electable this time around.

Just a question for any of you who checked in here outraged or just to challenge Trump's moratorium on Muslim immigration. The question is how do we treat Muslims that are in legal (in their home country) polygamous marriages when they immigrate to the U.S?

Not that I fit into this category, but...

Have we ever recognized polygamy when immigrating from another country?

I hope Bloomberg jumps in. What a wild election.
Who would he choose as a running mate?.....

He only jumps in if Sanders beats Hillary and Trump is the GOP candidate.
You won't get a choice between him and Hillary or him and Rubio.

Your first sentence has literally zero connection with the other two except for the words "Muslim immigration".

I'd probably vote for Bloomberg over Sanders if it's Sanders vs. Cruz/Trump. But such an election would also be awfully dangerous. As Paul Krugman pointed out, Bloomberg would probably pull more from the left than from the right, and Trump could win on a modest plurality of votes. I tend to line up pretty well with Bloomberg (liberal on social issues, moderate on economic issues), but I'd like to see exactly what policy positions he pushes.

Incidentally, I worked for Bloomberg's company for a summer. And, if Bloomberg runs, I will have worked for two companies run (at some point) by presidential candidates.

I'd probably vote for Bloomberg over Sanders if it's Sanders vs. Cruz/Trump. But such an election would also be awfully dangerous. As Paul Krugman pointed out, Bloomberg would probably pull more from the left than from the right, and Trump could win on a modest plurality of votes. I tend to line up pretty well with Bloomberg (liberal on social issues, moderate on economic issues), but I'd like to see exactly what policy positions he pushes.

Incidentally, I worked for Bloomberg's company for a summer. And, if Bloomberg runs, I will have worked for two companies run (at some point) by presidential candidates.

I think he would pull more from the right then you'd think. There are a lot of disenfranchised moderate Republicans out there... but he would also get the gun nuts out in droves to keep him out of office.

Ultimately I don't think he'll run, as I don't think it'll be Sanders vs Crump

Our American tradition of tolerance for religions is working against common values. No one wants to be labeled intolerant. Religions are only "belief systems" followed by "groups of people".
If you think about these "groups of people" as either having good ideas and behaviors or bad ideas and behaviors then it is easier to be against their belief systems and not wanting to see them become a larger part of the population.

Last edited:

Trump winning with 40% of the vote is much better than trump winning with 60%-75% of the vote. A blowout and the whole Democratic ticket goes down the tubes. Bloomberg saves the Democratic Party from a blowout

This "tradition", has only been in word for the most part.

The point I am trying to make is that is one looks at the behaviors and practices of some of these groups of people without the label of religion they would be condemned, but with the label of religion they have a shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom