2016 US Presidential Election Pt. IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zayi3issy2wdzrzmyf4n.jpg

You know, I don't even know what "New York value" is. Is he talking about Bernie? or.......Lou Reed?

former Atlanta Braves Pitcher John Rocker explains:

On ever playing for a New York team: "I would retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

On New York City itself: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

On Mets fans: "Nowhere else in the country do people spit at you, throw bottles at you, throw quarters at you, throw batteries at you and say, 'Hey, I did your mother last night -- she's a whore.' I talked about what degenerates they were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

prescient, really, of the modern day Republican party. single mothers, "queers," foreigners. these are new york values.

A Trump or Cruz candidacy all but guarantees a D in the White House until 2020. This is where the more moderate Clinton would sweep the purple states.

One could argue, however, that this would present an opportunity for a real progressive (Sanders) in the WH because the competition will be so weak. But, gosh, that's some high risk/high reward going on there.

HRC should choose Bernie as her VP. Take his white college kids.

There is still a world in which Rubio is the nominee.

This is an amazing tool in understanding how voter turnout among different groups can shift the electoral map. I encourage everyone to check it out.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

Trump is exciting non-college degree whites that have had a lower voter turnout in 2012. A bump in turnout by 5% and 5% towards the gop leads to a Trump landslide if the other variables remain the same as 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is an amazing tool in understanding how voter turnout among different groups can shift the electoral map. I encourage everyone to check it out.

Trump is exciting non-college degree whites that have had a lower voter turnout in 2012. A bump in turnout by 5% and 5% towards the gop leads to a Trump landslide if the other variables remain the same as 2012.

One thing you should factor in is the fact that Muslim voting would increase by at least 5% to ensure they can stay safe/not get deported.

He excites uneducated whites? Shocked!

That's making huge assumptions others don't stay home. Women and evangelicals?

it's definitely interesting. although every candidate comes with some baggage, so with Trump, i think you'd see an increase of Latino voters turning out and voting democratic. the Trump rally cry of "What do we want?" "A WALL!!!" "Who's gonna build it?" "MEXICO!!!" call-and-response is pretty repugnant, and will be a great way to make sure that NV, CO, and NM all stay blue.

Come on, Headache. You know Republicans only care about New York when they're talking about 9/11.

it's definitely interesting. although every candidate comes with some baggage, so with Trump, i think you'd see an increase of Latino voters turning out and voting democratic. the Trump rally cry of "What do we want?" "A WALL!!!" "Who's gonna build it?" "MEXICO!!!" call-and-response is pretty repugnant, and will be a great way to make sure that NV, CO, and NM all stay blue.

We're assuming American born Latinos who have been here for generations, are cool with illegals coming in and the Feds giving them free stuff just because they share a common language.

I think the Latino demographic is not as uniform as you make it out to be.

We're assuming American born Latinos who have been here for generations, are cool with illegals coming in and the Feds giving them free stuff just because they share a common language.

History shows that Hispanics will not vote for those that speak of building walls. And it has very little to do with being ok with people coming in illegally and getting free stuff, but more to do with what the wall represents and the rhetoric that comes with it. Plus Trump has doubled down on his anti-Mexico and I'm sure SOME are good people rhetoric. He's even lost a percentage of Hispanics that would normally vote Republican.

History shows that Hispanics will not vote for those that speak of building walls. And it has very little to do with being ok with people coming in illegally and getting free stuff, but more to do with what the wall represents and the rhetoric that comes with it. Plus Trump has doubled down on his anti-Mexico and I'm sure SOME are good people rhetoric. He's even lost a percentage of Hispanics that would normally vote Republican.

Can you provide a "citation" for the this History you speak of ?

When you blow a dog whistle, all dogs hear it.

Sometimes common sense doesn't require documentation. This is one of those cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BVS and me are in an ongoing citation war. He requires me to back up claims I feel are not needed. Just throwing it back at him.

I'll say I'm not an expert on Hispanic Voting Demographics nor do I think anybody is in this board. If so there may be no prevailing "common sense"

Can you provide a "citation" for the this History you speak of ?

You can't have it both ways; you can't mock the asking for a source in intellectual debate and then ask for one when it speaks against your hopeful view.

When some of you mock the asking for a source you come off as anti-intellectual, you are part of that group the article I posted in the PC thread is talking about. It says you don't have to back up your views with facts, or that you can't.

There's a way to hold your views and not fall into that group. Unfortunately there's not a way to support Trump without being in that group ;)

I admire you too, Ashley. :wave:

Your little friendly personal comment aside, it wouldn't surprise me if progressive types outside of the US don't take too kindly to the term. And I guess the responses here go to show how uncontroversial a term it actually is.

Hey, I can admire you and still grow weary of the vendetta you seem to have against the US.

Anyways, I understand how it can be a weird word to use, but it IS the correct word, dictionary definition speaking. But connotations change, and perhaps in time it will become too strongly associated with E. T. and his buddies to continue to use in terms of its original definition.

But anyways...

I know, right? He's utterly loathsome, and in a way totally different from Huckabee or Santorum.

Jezebel had a nice translation for those who don't speak Cruz

“There are many, many wonderful working [white, Christian] men and women in the state of New York. But everyone understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal, pro-abortion, pro-Gay marriage [because black, Jewish, gay people live there], and focus on money [Jew Jew Jew] and the media [Jew Jew Jew]. Indeed, the reason I said that, as I was asked, my friend Donald has taken to in his advance playing Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Born in the USA.’ And I was asked what I thought of that. ‘Well, if he wanted to play a song, he could play ‘New York, New York.’ [Unexpected throwback Italian burn.]”

Ted can blow me

Bernie Sanders reminds me of that coworker that complains all the time and you just pray that you can go a day without running into them in the hallway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom