2016 US Presidential Election Pt. IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Minorities want jobs not handouts??
Don't see a lot of them as them at Bernie rallies, but those folks want handouts.

and I don't want an umbrella when it rains, I have an umbrella when it rains, I have a few, one in my car
the concept that people should plan and provide for themselves is much better than when some people want things other people should have to provide it for them

Yes, that concept is better.
It is how I lead my life.

But as we know that not everyone is the same and not everyone plans their life the same way, it is more than somewhat harsh to punish people who, for whatever reason, aren't able to plan ahead that well.

I have yet to see any automated nurses, bar tenders, janitors, cleaners, lawn care workers, or farm pickers. Millions of people continue to move from Latin America to the United States to perform many of these jobs and there is no sign of this trend stopping. The predictions made in 1980 for what life would be like in 2020 don't even come close. In terms of economic growth, the technology that's come out over the past 16 years has not improved the country's overall economic growth rates. GDP growth on an annual basis was stronger and more consistent in the 20th century. Nothing that has been invented in the 21st century so far has proved as useful as the toilet which first became common in most homes in the early 20th century.

I wouldn't be so sure about cleaners or farm pickers, but sure, I'll grant the rest of the premise. Nursing, bar tending, and janitoring are not the basis for mass employment in a society which claims to demand such a thing as the prerequisite for eating and having a home to sleep in.

As for lawyers and doctors, look out. They aren't safe, not at all. Not in the long run. Some schmuck driving a van to come wash your dog is probably safer.

that's like ultimate question that US is trying to answer over 200 years.
surely you jest. neither party existed 200 years ago, let alone "over" 200 years ago. 200 years ago, our president was james madison, who was a democratic-republican (which has nothing to do with either party in existence today), which was the opposition to the federalist party.

the first president elected from either party around today was andrew jackson, and as any historian will point out, the democrat party back then bears little resemblance to the one of today.

i'm not trying to nitpick, but i just don't want anyone to think that us politics has always (and only) been democrats vs. republicans.

also, anyone who thinks sanders can't "get things done" has clearly never looked at his voting records. it baffles me that the black south isn't more supportive of him when he was actually marching with them back in the 60s, but whatever. it's still early. i'm not in a "bernie bubble" and if he loses i will vote for hillary, but i think he would make the better president.

still waiting for fiorina to drop out. since she didn't wednesday i assume she will when she has a predictably abysmal turnout in new hampshire. at least i see she's stopped begging for $3 on twitter and has instead started whining about being perma-relegated to the kiddie table.

I meant more like, "liberal" vs "conservatism" ish type of context. and I love to use hyperbole for no reason, so.

What specific parts of the platform would you reboot?

Social issues ...

I think the GOP has made a detente with LGBT marriage after the SCOTUS ruling. The 'Cam & Mitchell' effect has normalized the culture in a positive way. Cruz would still reek of the pulpit, with Trump he has a more cosmopolitan view and would be more laser focused on jobs and security.

Minorities want jobs not handouts. The GOP platform is that a rising tide lifts all boats. Is that too simplistic? Where can we make the tweaks to our bigoted archaic views?

It's getting late for me to pull up the research but recent polling has found that public is more in line with restrictions on abortion. In the past there has been more stark contrast between Pro-Life and Pro-Choice factions. The original post Roe v Wade generation is being replaced by gen-x and millennials who are not polarized one way or another. They see a middle ground with restrictions at a certain point. The religious right and NARAL will still hold their positions. Both parties may evolve to this new consensus that has appeared again in polling. Like I said I'll find the link later. Not trying to create an abortion fight in the thread, just wanted to point out the changing public opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Simplistic and in actuality not what the platform is producing. You're still practicing trickle down that barely reaches the middle class and that doesn't cause tides.

Drop all the anti-science, demonizing education bullshit.

Make it impossible for your stances to be mired by racism. Trump has neo-nazi, KKK, and white supremacy groups giving him very vocal endorsements. Recognize the racism to which you attract, denounce it vocally and find a way to communicate your view globally. Stop sweeping it under the rug. And if you cant recognize it you're part of the problem.

Remove your lips from the NRA's ass. Period, nothing more needs to be said. You can still support gun ownership and be smart about it. Reagan knew that.

This is just a short list. The problem is you all have allowed the very vocal minority take control, it's why the party looks like a clown car right now. You're clinging onto the rants and ratings of the baby boom generation. And for the love of all good, drop the blame the media bullshit and take a good look in the mirror at yourselves. If you have to get your info from an echo chamber, something is going horribly wrong.

and I don't want an umbrella when it rains, I have an umbrella when it rains, I have a few, one in my car
the concept that people should plan and provide for themselves is much better than when some people want things other people should have to provide it for them

To continue the metaphor, it doesn't rain where you can afford to live. And property taxes are going to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Minorities want jobs not handouts??
Don't see a lot of them as them at Bernie rallies, but those folks want handouts.

It's those entitled white ingrates who want "free college." As if a diploma is another participation trophy.

Americans want to go the easy, lazy and stupid way out of difficulty: wanting the government to fix our problems.
I don't think you possess even a basic understanding of politics or the economy, and this post would be Exhibit A. I had to delete six drafts of a response because I couldn't make it three sentences without making personal attacks. Needless to say, this attitude and strawman infuriates me to my core. This is exactly why I hate Republicans and the GOP. You make my skin crawl.

I'm fine with a conservative financial outlook.

It's the archiac and downright bigoted view of basic civil rights and an obsession with instruments of death where they lose me.

There are absolutely some fiscally conservative ideas that make sense. And a lot of truths that the left in general does not want to accept. For example, the bureaucracy of public service IS a largely bloated beast, and you could fairly easily find efficiencies WITHOUT cutting services (what you need to do is cull back office staff, through attrition which avoids layoffs). Whether we like it or not, defined benefit pension plans for public sector workers have to be phased out because the taxpayers can no longer afford them - it is a combination of things that has led us to this point, but you don't have to be evil Scott Walker to recognize that there is a real and tangible problem here. So yes, there are aspects which I think the left is ignoring or choosing to live in la-la land, the problem is that in the US, the Republican party is so far to the right and so obsessed with completely inconsequential things (Planned Parenthood funding, really?) that no sane person who is fiscally conservative should actually believe that they are in it in the name of good economic sense.

There are absolutely some fiscally conservative ideas that make sense. And a lot of truths that the left in general does not want to accept. For example, the bureaucracy of public service IS a largely bloated beast, and you could fairly easily find efficiencies WITHOUT cutting services (what you need to do is cull back office staff, through attrition which avoids layoffs). Whether we like it or not, defined benefit pension plans for public sector workers have to be phased out because the taxpayers can no longer afford them - it is a combination of things that has led us to this point, but you don't have to be evil Scott Walker to recognize that there is a real and tangible problem here. So yes, there are aspects which I think the left is ignoring or choosing to live in la-la land, the problem is that in the US, the Republican party is so far to the right and so obsessed with completely inconsequential things (Planned Parenthood funding, really?) that no sane person who is fiscally conservative should actually believe that they are in it in the name of good economic sense.

:up:

What specific parts of the platform would you reboot?

Social issues ...

I think the GOP has made a detente with LGBT marriage after the SCOTUS ruling. The 'Cam & Mitchell' effect has normalized the culture in a positive way. Cruz would still reek of the pulpit, with Trump he has a more cosmopolitan view and would be more laser focused on jobs and security.

Huh? I am pretty sure there are still plenty in the GOP and the TP who want people to believe that. I am not fooled as i have heard some of them speak. Cruz, Huckabee, and Ass Juice were pretty vocal about it from what i recall.

I don't know who this guys is, fuck him and Cruz

NOM's Brian Brown is Tumescent Over Ted Cruz Win, Sees Gay Marriage Repeal on the Horizon - Towleroad

Senator Cruz is a champion for marriage and religious liberty and his victory last night sends a powerful message to the nation’s elite that the American people utterly reject the anti-constitutional, illegitimate ruling of the US Supreme Court redefining marriage. His win should send shockwaves throughout Washington, and provide real momentum for legislation to protect supporters of marriage from retaliation or punishment for standing for the truth of marriage in their daily lives and at work.

Agree 100%

The government and government run organizations are incredibly wasteful.

You can be friendly to businesses and encourage growth and development without just ignoring all regulations, and you can then take that money and reinvest it into the community to fund social services and initiatives. And for fucks sake you can allow gun ownership with logical fucking restrictions and background checks that make sense.

The GOP is too tied to religious extremists (oh the irony!) to be an effective party in this day and age. They're a clown car.

Latest polls starting to show Kasich falling back in New Hampshire and Rubio and Cruz firmly grabbing onto the second and third place positions behind Trump. If Iowa's trifecta also shows up in New Hampshire, then basically everyone else will be forced to leave the race as voters have clearly made their minds up about who deserve to be the frontrunners.

I'm expecting a great showing for Rubio in the primary, probably getting momentum like he did in Iowa and earning at least 20% of the vote. It could still be awhile before he actually starts winning states, but I think he'll definitely have the edge once the bluer states start showing up in the calendar.

On the other side, Bernie's receiving almost double Clinton in a lot of recent NH polling. It's an absolute lock and Clinton didn't do herself any favors at New Hampshire's town-hall last night where she basically refused to clearly answer questions regarding marijuana usage and death with dignity and even went so far as to say her Iraq War vote was her trying to give leverage so UN inspections could happen...a brazen lie if there ever was one. :doh:

I'll echo the others in giving this a :up:.

I'd be more than willing to work out compromises on the financial side of things politically and talk with conservatives about how to streamline all this stuff to make it more efficient and simple. But the moment someone on the right starts spouting that "handouts"/"poor people are lazy/don't work hard enough" sort of BS, that's when they've officially lost me. There's ways to discuss this issue without insulting poor/struggling people or making offensive presumptions about why they're struggling financially.

It's getting late for me to pull up the research but recent polling has found that public is more in line with restrictions on abortion. In the past there has been more stark contrast between Pro-Life and Pro-Choice factions. The original post Roe v Wade generation is being replaced by gen-x and millennials who are not polarized one way or another. They see a middle ground with restrictions at a certain point. The religious right and NARAL will still hold their positions. Both parties may evolve to this new consensus that has appeared again in polling. Like I said I'll find the link later. Not trying to create an abortion fight in the thread, just wanted to point out the changing public opinions.

I will simply say these three things in response to this:

1, there is a difference between being personally pro-life and actively supporting government restrictions on that issue. If you do happen to find that research/polling, I'll be curious to see if it takes that distinction into account.

2, I certainly hope none of the people who support government restrictions on abortion then turn around and extol the virtues of "limited government".

3, at the end of the day, I don't care what anyone else thinks about the issue of abortion. It's still not anyone else's place to make the decision as to when or whether or not a woman can have one. Period. End of story. And the fact that the GOP will not. stop. obsessing. over this issue is one of the many, many reasons I cannot support them.

Last edited:
Maybe try cutting the military budget in half, and see how much more funding we can throw at more important areas/ideas

This "a rising tide lifts all boats" pablum sounds lovely, but in actual Republican strategy has consistently been a focus on making life easier for those at the top and harder for those at the bottom. So yes, not only is "a rising tide lifts all boats" simplistic, it's also demonstrably false.

So let's go back to the 90s when Clinton and GOP controlled congress successfully managed a growing economy. There were more job opportunities for everybody. Wage growth. It is simplistic, yes.

Today you may be correct in that the stock market is at record highs (propped up by cheap money courtesy of the Fed). So the rich get richer while there is not correlating effect underneath with a 7 year anemic recovery.

So let's go back to the 90s when Clinton and GOP controlled congress successfully managed a growing economy. There were more job opportunities for everybody. Wage growth. It is simplistic, yes.

Today you may be correct in that the stock market is at record highs (propped up by cheap money courtesy of the Fed). So the rich get richer while there is not correlating effect underneath with a 7 year anemic recovery.

glad to see you think the Bush tax cuts were a bad idea as well. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom