2016 US Presidential Election Pt. III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know...I can't help but notice that nearly every post you've made in here over the last few weeks has made mention of the race of candidates...

And it's because Ben Carson is now inexplicably the Republican front runner. I have no axe to grind, just pointing out the obvious. He's the "But I have a black friend" of potential Presidential nominees.

Today I learned something new:

Jeb Bush ... Jeb is his initials. James Ellis Bush. (Or some 'J' name.)

Mind = blown. I thought his name was actually Jeb. Because that's a name some people have.

Mind = blown. I thought his name was actually Jeb. Because that's a name some people have.

So should we really be calling him JEBush to avoid redundancy? James Ellis Bush Bush?

And it's because Ben Carson is now inexplicably the Republican front runner. I have no axe to grind, just pointing out the obvious. He's the "But I have a black friend" of potential Presidential nominees.

I don't understand this argument at all. Did democrats just vote for Obama because he's black and they wanted to make up for slavery? Same absurd logic. Basically, your entire basis is of the notion that if you're a republican, you're racist. Which would make sense coming from you, considering you're the biggest race baiter on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't understand this argument at all. Did democrats just vote for Obama because he's black and they wanted to make up for slavery? Same absurd logic. Basically, your entire basis is of the notion that if you're a republican, you're racist. Which would make sense coming from you, considering you're the biggest race baiter on this forum.

Talking about race and racism isn't "race baiting" -- I'm not even sure what that phrase really means, other than it's a term intended to dismiss and shut down any discussion about racism.

I don't think it's at all stretch to point to the pathological hatred of Obama -- the Musilm who hates America -- as being absolutely rooted in race. Look at the way even Rush Limbaugh (hardly fringe) talks about Michelle Obama. I also don't think it's a stretch to say that the right win will often use race to scare up votes, and they've done so for decades.

I do agree it's a stretch to say that "some Republicans are supporting Carson because after 7 years of Obama hate they are eager to show, to themselves and others, that the hat was rooted in policy opposition and not in race."

My sense is that's probably accurate for some people. We all know racism is bad. Support for Carson may fall along the lines of "some of my best friends are black" thinking. It seems to be one possible explanation for his current front runner status, being that he has no other qualifications , save for being polite and a Christian.

But I agree -- it's tough to make "I think that you think" points. Hunches and senses aren't arguments.

My prediction is Carson will actually do worse than his poll numbers. It's called the "Bradley effect."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_effect

I don't understand this argument at all. Did democrats just vote for Obama because he's black and they wanted to make up for slavery? Same absurd logic.

Obama ran to Hillary's left and the Iraq War issue in particular helped him and hurt her. That's really why he won the nomination. In the general election, his being black helped with black turnout, obviously, but the percentage of the black vote going to the Democratic nominee wasn't all that different then in the past.

Carson's an entirely different story because as mentioned a lot, he has no actual qualifications or stage presence. Do you really think a white man with the same story that said a lot of crazy talk that made him unelectable in the general, sleep walked his way through the debates and had no prior political experience would really be doing this well?

As for Republicans and being racists...well, the South was a long-time Democratic holdout until they felt betrayed by LBJ and the Civil Rights movement...so, yes, racists.

Ending affirmative action programs is racist and hurts blacks in particular.

Ending food stamp programs hurts minorities.

Enacting voting restrictions mostly targets minorities, etc.

Sorry, but their recent policy proposals towards issues such as the above and immigration are, in fact, racist. They'll do a great job at getting that angry white vote and coming up short by a mile in the Presidential election once again but the rest of the country knows better.

Last edited:

i'd always figured that's who arrested development was poking fun at with the name gob, although kieran beat me to it. but i'd already typed this out damnit!

Somebody should run on a free National ID card for citizens required for voting.

I'm for fiscal discipline for the Federal government but I'd fund this program.

Nobody should have to pay for an ID to meet a voting requirement. This would eliminate that problem. Long story short use a DL or National ID card to vote along with registering locally in advance.

Somebody should run on a free National ID card for citizens required for voting.

I'm for fiscal discipline for the Federal government but I'd fund this program.

Nobody should have to pay for an ID to meet a voting requirement. This would eliminate that problem. Long story short use a DL or National ID card to vote along with registering locally in advance.

Why? Is voter fraud an issue? How will you feel when they stop issuing these free cards in majority black counties in the South? Doesn't this seem like an easily exploitable means of voter suppression?

The voter ID thing is only about voter suppression. Disenfranchising poor and minority voters will happen far more that any one voting fraudulantly. Plus there is no voter ID required for absentee voting by mail that tends to go more GOP.

Two painless ways to solve this, 1. make all voting by U. S. mail and registration more accessible. 2. And anyone that wants ID, why not just take a thumb print that could be detached from the ballot. I don;t believe any illegal aliens or felons would want to leave a thumb print to convict them of vote fraud. Of course somebody that might not have a state issued ID but be legally entitled to vote would most likely have a thumb.

We should have ID's to vote. We need them for things of much less importance. This should be a bi-partisan issue. With hundreds of thousands of new people coming into this country we need to ensure that citizens are the only ones voting. A free card is better than a DL you have to buy ( addressing poor minority communities in Alabama that don't have DMV's nearby). Instead these folks can get their new ID card by mail. Take the National ID Card program out of state control and put it with an agency in the Federal Government and there is less likely to be any form of suppression. Many on the left strive for Government constructed Utopian ideals and I will jump on board to support this ideal if I were President. On the other hand there are groups (I don't have time to write a dissertation, but mainly those that support Open Borders) that would love to have non-citizens vote to tip the scales in their favor.

The current status quo is more ripe for fraud.

This is an example: Look at Philadelphia precincts that had 0-5 votes for Romney in 2012. My mom used to go to an evangelical church in suburban Philly that had minority voters living in Philly that would vote never vote for a Pro-Choice candidate over a Pro-Life candidate. As a result of my personal experience I find those precinct results shocking. I must therefore conclude that there is some kind of fraud occurred. So yes fraud does exist.

Voting by mail is great too. I lived in Oregon for a time (Thus my name 'Oregoropa') and it was all vote by mail. Never had any kind of fraud issues. Not sure if there be rogue elements in USPS destroying ballots, but seems pretty safe. We could also just drop off the ballots at a city city kiosk manned by an election official.

This is an example: Look at Philadelphia precincts that had 0-5 votes for Romney in 2012. My mom used to go to an evangelical church in suburban Philly that had minority voters living in Philly that would vote never vote for a Pro-Choice candidate over a Pro-Life candidate. As a result of my personal experience I find those precinct results shocking. I must therefore conclude that there is some kind of fraud occurred. So yes fraud does exist.

Your mom's church takes up the entire precinct?

This is almost as good as the poster that said his grandpa didn't die of cancer therefore smoking isn't linked to cancer. Micro anecdotal evidence at its best.

If man was on the moon, I ain't never seed it with mah own two eyes mister. So it ain't done never happened.

In all seriousness though, during the 2012 election, my voting precinct was at a church. And it pissed me off that they were handing out pamphlets about coming to church right before you stepped into the polling station. Like, that has to be against the law, right?

I don't even get this voter fraud nonsense. To vote, you have to be on the voting rolls to begin with which therefore requires you to be a citizen that's legally registered. So, to assume there's actually fraud, you'd have to believe there's people going to the precincts and using other people's names, something we have basically zero evidence of ever having had happened in recent history.

The ID for voting usually costs money and is basically used as a blockade for someone that is legally registered. This person goes to the polling place and is then turned away for not having the ID. Thus, the entirety of these ID requirements exists to stop people from voting in the first place. Even if the ID is free, it will require an extra hassle to acquire and thus prevent some people from bothering to vote. Again, it serves zero purpose because illegals literally can't register to vote in the first place. They aren't on the damn rolls.

Soooooo...if I'm understanding you right, because people aren't voting the way you would expect them to vote based on your personal experience, whatever that means, that automatically means they must be committing voter fraud? Is that what you're saying?

Maybe it's due to the fact that it's late where I am, but I REALLY fail to see how that's proof of your argument.

As for Carson...

"Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs' graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don't think it'd just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain."

*Blinks*

What?

No, seriously. What?

As a result of my personal experience I find those precinct results shocking. I must therefore conclude that there is some kind of fraud occurred.

As has been pointed out above, the fact that reality didn't match your assumptions of it in no way proves fraud occurred. It only proves that your assumptions were incorrect.

It's good to be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom