2016 US Presidential Election Pt. III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Carson's success lately is so ridiculous and really is only because he's black. It's not like he's even done anything for the base to keep his name shooting up in the polls and his stock only tends to rise after every awful debate he has where he stands there frightened and basically whispers into the microphone. Republicans want to pretend they aren't racist and his skin color and inspiring story suits their needs. Just from an objective point of view, he's probably the least capable leader of anybody left in the race from either major party, yet here he stands now with a chance at the nomination. :doh:

Of course, under that scenario, we all know Biden would immediately hop in there and try to be the mainstream alternative to Sanders.

Fodgodsakes, Joe isn't running. I doubt he ever really gave it serious thought, it's hilarious how so many still want to play this game.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Health Savings Accounts are a GOP idea I find laughable since most working class Americans don't have the means to save right now.

Fodgodsakes, Joe isn't running. I doubt he ever really gave it serious thought, it's hilarious how so many still want to play this game.

He didn't run because Hillary didn't become vulnerable enough. If she became vulnerable enough, he damn well would run as his only competition would be Sanders. The media and poltical pundits has mentioned this time-and-again. If Hillary were to be found to have done something truly illegal over the next few months, it's one-hundred-percent certain that Biden would jump into the race. Clinton was always the person keeping him (and basically everyone else) out.

It's no coincidence that Biden announces he's not running after noticing the first polls showing Clinton having a bounce after the debate. She went in there and performed well enough and effectively left no room for Biden.

Health Savings Accounts are a GOP idea I find laughable since most working class Americans don't have the means to save right now.

Yeah, and they don't work for any type of chronic disease. The GOP in general just doesn't know how to deal with healthcare, it's one of the reasons why they are where they are.

He didn't run because Hillary didn't become vulnerable enough. If she became vulnerable enough, he damn well would run as his only competition would be Sanders. The media and poltical pundits has mentioned this time-and-again. If Hillary were to be found to have done something truly illegal over the next few months, it's one-hundred-percent certain that Biden would jump into the race. Clinton was always the person keeping him (and basically everyone else) out.

It's no coincidence that Biden announces he's not running after noticing the first polls showing Clinton having a bounce after the debate. She went in there and performed well enough and effectively left no room for Biden.

I generally agree. He was the backup should HRC self-destruct or go to jail, and girlfriend looks steely and in control these past few weeks. The party at large fears a McGovern-type disaster with Sanders. Whether that fear is founded remains to be seen, but it really has always been her nomination to loose since The 2008 convention.

He didn't run because Hillary didn't become vulnerable enough. If she became vulnerable enough, he damn well would run as his only competition would be Sanders. The media and political pundits has mentioned this time-and-again. If Hillary were to be found to have done something truly illegal over the next few months, it's one-hundred-percent certain that Biden would jump into the race. Clinton was always the person keeping him (and basically everyone else) out.

:yes:

:up:

Yeah, and they don't work for any type of chronic disease. The GOP in general just doesn't know how to deal with healthcare, it's one of the reasons why they are where they are.

As someone who used to have a a chronic disease before I got surgery last December, fuck the GOP health care plans. They're all awful and wouldn't do shit for anyone suffering from serious illnesses. I had complications after my first surgery and had to spend about a month in the hospital spread out over four different stays and the bill was $200,000. Luckily my parents health insurance covered everything after we hit our deductible (which happened on January 2nd, since my third hospitalization was on New Years Day), which was $4000. I can't imagine having no health insurance and then being diagnosed with a chronic illness. The GOP would tell those people they should've saved up money...fuck them.

How is not having heath insurance serious topic of conversation? Holy shit. I mean, ffs, you have to have car insurance, legally. Why are cars more important than people? If we're going to do away with health insurance, then I damn well hope you're planning on also doing away with healthcare being for profit, in that case.

So Jeb is cutting back. Dropping paid staffers, consultants, dropping ad buys, and others taking pay cuts. There is going to be an emergency meeting for the Bushies in Houston. The establishment may have to steer their resources to Rubio if Jeb is on life support.

Just one of my mom's post chemo shots costs $5,000, for a fucking shot. So yeah, a savings account will do nothing.

There's the Walter White Health Savings Account

main-qimg-09cabca9c06e12b9ff594a00030a8f13

yep. something i haven't talked about at all, even on fb, but my mom's on chemo right now. we don't have insurance (i don't either but it's a separate issue and i'm also not sick so that's not the point, but my parents don't either). our state didn't expand medicare and they make too much to qualify, yet make too little to be able to afford the plans. and i'm not saying the plans offered are expensive like the $1k/month bs people will make up, they're on par with about how much insurance used to cost pre-aca. but if you don't have two people working two full-time jobs, you can't afford that.

so my mom's on chemo with no health insurance. thankfully (for once) we live in the bible belt so there's a lot of christian-based healthcare providers around here that provide cheap healthcare, so at least as of right now, unless the clinic decides she doesn't qualify, she's not having to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for chemotherapy that her oncologist said she'll be on for the rest of her life...because she can't afford the medicine that would nip it in the bud and take care of it quicker.

yet if either of my parents get sick, they have to go to the emergency room to get an antibiotic. okay. yes carson and all the other republicans, your healthcare plans are amazing. what we have now isn't even that great, so please tell me more about how it'll help anyone who isn't rich.

It's almost as if the GOP don't actually serve working class interests.

As someone who used to have a a chronic disease before I got surgery last December, fuck the GOP health care plans. They're all awful and wouldn't do shit for anyone suffering from serious illnesses. I had complications after my first surgery and had to spend about a month in the hospital spread out over four different stays and the bill was $200,000. Luckily my parents health insurance covered everything after we hit our deductible (which happened on January 2nd, since my third hospitalization was on New Years Day), which was $4000. I can't imagine having no health insurance and then being diagnosed with a chronic illness. The GOP would tell those people they should've saved up money...fuck them.

Glad you are doing better :up:

Just one of my mom's post chemo shots costs $5,000, for a fucking shot. So yeah, a savings account will do nothing.

yep. something i haven't talked about at all, even on fb, but my mom's on chemo right now. we don't have insurance (i don't either but it's a separate issue and i'm also not sick so that's not the point, but my parents don't either). our state didn't expand medicare and they make too much to qualify, yet make too little to be able to afford the plans. and i'm not saying the plans offered are expensive like the $1k/month bs people will make up, they're on par with about how much insurance used to cost pre-aca. but if you don't have two people working two full-time jobs, you can't afford that.

so my mom's on chemo with no health insurance. thankfully (for once) we live in the bible belt so there's a lot of christian-based healthcare providers around here that provide cheap healthcare, so at least as of right now, unless the clinic decides she doesn't qualify, she's not having to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for chemotherapy that her oncologist said she'll be on for the rest of her life...because she can't afford the medicine that would nip it in the bud and take care of it quicker.

yet if either of my parents get sick, they have to go to the emergency room to get an antibiotic. okay. yes carson and all the other republicans, your healthcare plans are amazing. what we have now isn't even that great, so please tell me more about how it'll help anyone who isn't rich.

Just wanted to say, my best to both of you and your families and i hope both of your Mom's get better. :hug:

So Jeb is cutting back. Dropping paid staffers, consultants, dropping ad buys, and others taking pay cuts. There is going to be an emergency meeting for the Bushies in Houston. The establishment may have to steer their resources to Rubio if Jeb is on life support.

Jeb's on life support for sure. Fiorina and Cruz are dwindling as well. Rand is making a push. Up to 5th in the polls (was 11th a few weeks ago). 3rd in NH.

mere speculation on my part
but the Bushes could put pride aside and figure the best way to stop Trump would be to pull out and unite behind Rubio

but the Bushes could put pride aside and figure the best way to stop Trump would be to pull out and unite behind Rubio

This is my guess. If the republicans are smart, they'll stack everything behind Rubio. He's their best shot at winning.
Rubio as president/nominee and Paul Ryan as Speaker would be a major step forward for the party. Get some young blood in there, get the old, corrupt buffoons out. Next they need to take out McConnell.

Jeb's not on life support in terms of finances. There's a difference between the campaigns and the Super PAC. The Jeb Bush Super PAC is basically sitting on $100 million and has the money to get themselves all the way into the heart of the race in March. For Republicans, the money is often so slanted towards the Super PAC side of things that they're often cutting campaign staff while their Super PACs sit on massive war chests.

Sure, it does show that Bush is still in trouble, but he has a ton of money and is going to be around until at least the early spring. I mean, I guess there's the possibility that his Super PAC gets real desperate and blows through the money sooner, but the guy heading it has a long-term strategy that doesn't necessarily entail winning the first couple states.

I am not sure they can stop Trump

They already are if you look at the latest Iowa polling with Ben Carson's surge. 3/4 of Iowa Republicans see Trump as having the largest ego in the field and 1/4 of Iowa Republicans think he should be the next candidate to drop out of the race. Trump's hot air balloon is already deflating and he'll have to consider leaving altogether by the time Iowa rolls around (which goes back to my theory that I can't actually see people wasting a day of their lives in a high school gym to caucus for the guy). He'll have a big decision to make about pulling out before Iowa and blaming the establishment and media or going through with it and being labeled "a loser"...I bet he chooses the former.

It's funny because Carson is just as much a bunch of hot air with no real expertise or experience. But at least Trump is a dynamic personality that excites people. If Carson were white, he wouldn't even be in the mix.

But I'd be ecstatic to see Carson win the nomination with his recent comments that he's against all abortions. We saw how that played out in red states in 2012 that went ahead and booted their Republican Senators that effectively told women that it's their responsibility to bring to term a rape baby. If Carson were the nominee, it's going to be a huge landslide against him that could even give the house back to the Dems. :up:

Last edited:

That's the best situation for all of them if Trump or Carson manages to start winning some states a few months from now...the longer they take to get behind a mainstream candidate like Rubio or Bush, the better the chances of Trump or Carson narrowly winning the nomination in an extremely divided field.

The common sense is that as more people drop out, the more likely voters get behind an establishment candidate as they did with Romney four years ago (which is why Romney is still a hypothetical 2016 nominee). This leaves Trump with no chance of winning once there's only one or two other major challengers remaining as he's despised by so much of the party's members that he's basically capped at 40% of the vote in a given state, tops.

I'd say Rubio vs. Clinton. Rubio begins to emerge as the one mainstream alternative to these "populist" candidacies and handily claims the nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom