2016 US Presidential Election Pt. III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when Miami's under water soon, that will probably be more Americans killed by climate change than by terrorism.

(Only a quarter kidding.)

Overall:

Eh. Needed more metric system questions.

For democrats. Is it better to only have 2 real candidates or more competition the better?
Obviously the republicans have about 8-9 candidates left too many. And thusly, they get less air time.However, there are more options and differing views.
But with Bernie and Hillary being the only legit candidates, it gives them more air time to address more issues. However, that's all you really have: 2 options.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

For democrats. Is it better to only have 2 real candidates or more competition the better?
Obviously the republicans have about 8-9 candidates left too many. And thusly, they get less air time.However, there are more options and differing views.
But with Bernie and Hillary being the only legit candidates, it gives them more air time to address more issues. However, that's all you really have: 2 options.

And those 2 options are sane, informed people interested in governing the country.

You maybe have 1 of those.

So, really, while you may have a variety of carnival barkers, grifters, hucksters, and snake oil salesmen to choose from, is that actually a choice?

You can absolutely disagree with Bernie and Hillary, or wonder how they will pay for things. But you can't say they are running around the stage screaming that the world is burning.

Last edited:
I think there's a happy medium that neither side has reached. The Dems should have 4-5 legit candidates to choose from at this point in the race. The GOP race is a clown car and the glut of candidates has led to a lot of sensationalist comments made purely to stand out in a packed crowd. They would make ignorant comments anyway, but there's genuine motive for it now. It's brought out the worst in everyone (except Kasich, who actively went the opposite route and it bit him in the ass; he needs a red rubber nose if he wants to stay with the pack).

Last edited:
I'd say Americans with handguns are the greatest threat to Americans.

The human heart is the biggest threat imo. Everyone's out looking for arabs, but then they end up dead on the floor from a heart attack. Heart disease kills millions of people every year. And with McDonalds all day breakfast, that number will most likely increase in the near future.
However, with issues we can semi-control.......
May sound crazy, but safer US road systems would make a massive difference. I was in Dubai recently and was blown away by how much safer their road systems are. But of course, that would be extremely expensive and time consuming. We've dug ourselves in a massive hole there due to poor planning.

Psychopaths with weapons, whether it be guns, knives, vehicles, etc, is certainly a massive threat to our safety and well-being as a nation.
I'm personally pretty torn on guns. The biggest problem is psychopaths, but there needs to be some kind of background check. If there's someone with serious mental illness, I would feel nervous if they had a gun in my presence.
And I certainly sympathize with many who've been affected by gun violence and want some kind of reform. But at the same time, I'm a gun owner and have many friends in that industry. So I'm very torn on it.

I think there's a happy medium that neither side has reached. The Dems should have 4-5 legit candidates to choose from at this point in the race. The GOP race is a clown car and the glut of candidates has led to a lot of sensationalist comments made purely to stand out in a packed crowd. They would make ignorant comments anyway, but there's genuine motive for it now. It's brought out the worst in everyone (except Kasich, who actively went the opposite route and it bit him in the ass; he needs a red rubber nose if he wants to stay with the pack).

I'm not totally in love with any candidate running.
On the democrats side, I'm just about the opposite of Sanders on everything with maybe the exception of some foreign policy and drug issues.
I would never vote for Hillary. Ever.

On the republicans side, the 2 strongest and most rational candidates are 9th and 10th in the polls. Rand Paul and John Kasich.
God gave the republicans Ron Paul for 22 years and they never gave him a chance. Largely in part to people like Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, uninformed people, etc.
I know Ron Paul is largely disliked on this forum, but I'm a huge fan of his and always will be. You may not agree with everything he said, but he was sincere and truly sought the best for people. He wasn't a slimy politician like John McCain or Carly Fiorina.

Lincoln Chafee is a disaster and never should've been up there to begin with.

Jim Webb lost his chance by bitching about not getting enough time (every time he spoke).

Bernie is going to get exposed real soon for his hand waving. He's doing the same shit Trump does. "It's going to be great."

Hillary is the candidate to beat.

I guess that leaves Martin O'Malley, who was downright solid today.

I'm not totally in love with any candidate running.
On the democrats side, I'm just about the opposite of Sanders on everything with maybe the exception of some foreign policy and drug issues.
I would never vote for Hillary. Ever.

On the republicans side, the 2 strongest and most rational candidates are 9th and 10th in the polls. Rand Paul and John Kasich.
God gave the republicans Ron Paul for 22 years and they never gave him a chance. Largely in part to people like Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, uninformed people, etc.
I know Ron Paul is largely disliked on this forum, but I'm a huge fan of his and always will be. You may not agree with everything he said, but he was sincere and truly sought the best for people. He wasn't a slimy politician like John McCain or Carly Fiorina.

You just picked on two people who aren't slimy politicians. McCain is a reasonable person who has demonstrated legitimate heart. Carly Fiorina isn't even a politician, and she sure as hell isn't slimy.

Lincoln Chafee is a disaster and never should've been up there to begin with.

Jim Webb lost his chance by bitching about not getting enough time (every time he spoke).

Bernie is going to get exposed real soon for his hand waving. He's doing the same shit Trump does. "It's going to be great."

Hillary is the candidate to beat.

I guess that leaves Martin O'Malley, who was downright solid today.

I had never heard the name Lincoln Chafee before tonight. Sounds like a car....or a disease.
I'd be interested to see if 'ole Joe tosses his hat in the ring. He's quality entertainment. And for democrats, he fairs decent vs. Republicans.

You just picked on two people who aren't slimy politicians. McCain is a reasonable person who has demonstrated legitimate heart. Carly Fiorina isn't even a politician, and she sure as hell isn't slimy.

McCain is as slimy as they get. Screw him. He's done nothing to help the veterans of this country, even though he is one himself!
Fiorina is the non politician politician. Her debate tactics are very slimy. She likes to grab people's emotions and not with facts.

McCain is as slimy as they get. Screw him. He's done nothing to help the veterans of this country, even though he is one himself!
Fiorina is the non politician politician. Her debate tactics are very slimy. She likes to grab people's emotions and not with facts.

Slimy to me is Mitt Romney. Or, from the reverse perspective, Hillary Clinton. The big smiles on their faces that are total bullshit as they suckle the money from their donors and grow new views overnight.

he's going to get exposed for his hand waving? is this referring to something or do you mean him literally waving his hands is somehow scandalous?

chafee was ridiculous though and most of the time he spoke, he just proved he clearly has no backbone since any time he was challenged on any of his past votes he was like "well gosh you know the voting was 99-5 so..." "i had just entered office right before this and the record was 99-2 so..." as if a politician who apparently gets strong-armed into voting for things he's supposedly not comfortable voting for only because everyone else is is who america needs for our next president.

So, I forgot to DVR this. Did any of them talk meaningfully about publically funded elections?

Gosh, lighten up. I'm sure you and your husband are models of financial virtue. I was being mildly humorous.

But the truth is that we actually know very little about his finances, so, honestly, making a point one way or the other tells us nothing about his ability to govern or not.

Sounds like you need to lighten up.

Anyway the reason I focused in on it is because I actually started to suspect he was doing fairly reasonable financial planning, for example bequeathing money to family, etc which would not show up in financial disclosure available to CNN (though would arguably be a form of tax avoidance that he'd probably be publicly against). I still don't believe the numbers make any kind of sense.

Psychopaths with weapons, whether it be guns, knives, vehicles, etc, is certainly a massive threat to our safety and well-being as a nation.
I'm personally pretty torn on guns. The biggest problem is psychopaths, but there needs to be some kind of background check. If there's someone with serious mental illness, I would feel nervous if they had a gun in my presence.

I do think it's interesting that the right has tried to turn the focus on mental illness. 8 years ago you were all saying, "if you want healthcare then get a job", now all of a sudden you're concerned about healthcare. Mental illness is a concern, but it's not the issue, do you really believe that we as a nation have a higher occurrence of mental illness?

he's going to get exposed for his hand waving? is this referring to something or do you mean him literally waving his hands is somehow scandalous?

Handwaving means you fail to give supporting argument. The equivalent to being "all talk." He's talking about doing big things, but he's not explaining anything.

When we talk about handwaving in sciences, it usually refers to telling someone to accept that a mathematical proof exists but not actually displaying the proof.

I do think it's interesting that the right has tried to turn the focus on mental illness. 8 years ago you were all saying, "if you want healthcare then get a job", now all of a sudden you're concerned about healthcare. Mental illness is a concern, but it's not the issue, do you really believe that we as a nation have a higher occurrence of mental illness?

That's the thing. The right are all "but what about mental illness" whenever the latest shooting tragedy occurs, but then they do absolutely nothing to attempt to improve mental health services. Or, perhaps more accurately, they actively block any legislation that might improve mental health services and/or health care access.

Personally, I would rather vote for those who are attempting to do something rather than keep voting for those who are content to do nothing, or those who pay lip service but then actually fight to prevent any improvement.

But that's just me. :shrug:

Metal health on gun issues is not a conservative key point. As you said, it's a conservative copout.

Mental health on guns IS more important than restricting who gets guns, and it IS more important than holding people liable. Our country is different. There are already plenty of guns out there. But these ideas are NOT independent. They go together, entirely.

Anyway the reason I focused in on it is because I actually started to suspect he was doing fairly reasonable financial planning, for example bequeathing money to family, etc which would not show up in financial disclosure available to CNN (though would arguably be a form of tax avoidance that he'd probably be publicly against). I still don't believe the numbers make any kind of sense.

Good point

That's the thing. The right are all "but what about mental illness" whenever the latest shooting tragedy occurs, but then they do absolutely nothing to attempt to improve mental health services. Or, perhaps more accurately, they actively block any legislation that might improve mental health services and/or health care access.

Personally, I would rather vote for those who are attempting to do something rather than keep voting for those who are content to do nothing, or those who pay lip service but then actually fight to prevent any improvement.

But that's just me. :shrug:

:up: Completely agreed on all of this.

Missed the actual debate itself, but saw clips. OMG, Chafee, and all the stuff Khanada was talking about in relation to him! So many excuses...:crack:.

And Webb's "They got more time" thing just plain cracked me up :lol:.

From what I saw of the clips, though, yeah, it's not even a contest that Bernie and Hilary are gonna be the ones duking it out for the nomination. I'm fine with both of them-I think I agree a little more with Bernie on a lot of things than I do Hilary, but I've never had an issue with Hilary. And I would vote for Hilary if she wins the nomination, and her gender wouldn't be a factor for me. I won't argue that I do like the possibility that we may see our first female president, though.

Having said that, however I do still wish we had a few more options, too. People who aren't so establishment or tied to a previous president (mind, I think Hilary can and would forge her own path, but still). And while I'm all for compromise and parties working together, until the GOP actually proves they're willing to do that, I think it'd do the Democrats well to rally up the liberals more. Really differentiate themselves, instead of just being bland centrists. And if they are going to remain centrist, fine, but at least let us get the sense there are some issues important to Democrats that they will stand firm on and fight for.

Last edited:
Has she admitted she straight up lied about that abortion video that doesn't exist yet?

This is the part that really lets me down about our media. No one is ever really held accountable for lying. You can say the stupidest thing, the most offensive, and you'll be hounded until you say you're sorry. You'll lose sponsorship, money, careers....

But to just flat out lie like this, and have no one call you on it? Depressing.

And of course this goes to both sides of the isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom