2016 US Presidential Election Pt. III - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #451
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:37 AM
My favourite part of the whole pyramid thing is that THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS FUCKING WROTE DOWN WHAT THE PYRAMIDS WERE FOR.

It's not like this is some unfathomable mystery about which people have debated.

Fuck me.

I'm also amused to read some of you here suggesting this is actually one of his less crazy claims, because among those I know here in Australia who follow US politics, this has got amazing traction as one of the most hilariously insane things an American politician has said. People can't stop sharing it on my Facebook feed and it was the punchline to almost every joke at work yesterday.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #452
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
My favourite part of the whole pyramid thing is that THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS FUCKING WROTE DOWN WHAT THE PYRAMIDS WERE FOR.
Was it in the Bible? Or a big book called "How To Operate Good on Brains"? If not, he doesn't think it counts.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #453
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:37 PM
Hey, the ancient Egyptians wrote the book on trepanning.

(ok, they probably didn't)
Old 11-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #454
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Was it in the Bible? Or a big book called "How To Operate Good on Brains"? If not, he doesn't think it counts.
It's not even like the Bible talks about the pyramids...
Old 11-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #455
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:37 AM
2016 US Presidential Election Pt. III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm also amused to read some of you here suggesting this is actually one of his less crazy claims, because among those I know here in Australia who follow US politics, this has got amazing traction as one of the most hilariously insane things an American politician has said. People can't stop sharing it on my Facebook feed and it was the punchline to almost every joke at work yesterday.
I think it's probably that, while it's not really any less crazy than his other comments, it's certainly less offensive and dangerous than his other comments.

You say the pyramids are giant grain silos? I can laugh that off as inane idiocy. You say that no bullet riddled body is worse than losing gun rights? Yeah, I can't laugh that off as easily.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #456
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Does Bible ever talk about separating conjoining twins?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:52 PM   #457
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I think it's probably that, while it's not really any less crazy than his other comments, it's certainly less offensive and dangerous than his other comments.

You say the pyramids are giant grain silos? I can laugh that off as inane idiocy. You say that no bullet riddled body is worse than losing gun rights? Yeah, I can't laugh that off as easily.
Looking from overseas, I think it's that the widespread resistance to gun control in the US makes remarks like that not seem too extraordinary - they fit in a pattern (a baffling pattern) of the US failing to do shit about its awful gun culture. The pyramids remark? That seems to have come out of absolutely nowhere, the sort of absurdity nobody would even think of. Plus perhaps it has something to do with us having a more secular culture, where even mainstream religious claims can be risky for politicians, so something like this would be political suicide.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #458
Blue Crack Supplier

I think it also highlights the enormous and ever widening gulf between the Republican base -- maybe 20% of all voters -- and the rest of the US, let alone the rest of the developed Western world. The GOP itself is an anomaly -- no other developed nation has a mainstream party so far to the right, or, it appears, so divorced from facts.

If Ben Carson ran against Hillary, she'd probably win close to all 50 states.

Based upon the reaction to the CNBC debate, it seems the GOP isn't going to run against the Democrats, but the media. Specifically, the caricature of the media that exists in the minds of their voters.

The present crop of candidates are a result of a party that now treats politics as a reality show and a means to sell a brand, and thereby books and appearance fees.

I expect it to get more outrageous, because that's the only way to break through. Carson gained traction after his comments about a Muslim being fundamentally unqualified to be president. Fiorina gained traction only after she straight up lied about seeing a video of the imaginary fetus.

It's sad. Especially when we take recent studies that show that life expectancy for lower income whites is actually falling. There's a terrifying resemblance to early 1990s post-Soviet Russia amongst the states that have been devastated by the enormous growth in income inequality since the 1980 election. It doesn't surprise me that such candidates gain traction with desperate people looking for someone to blame. That's what the GOP offers -- blame and resentment.

In the meantime, Obamacare, for example, continues to make the ranks of the uninsured plummet. While not perfect, my hope is that the actual, imperfect solutions to problems offered by Democrats will take hold, and petty cultural resentments offered by these grifters will burn out.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:01 AM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I think it also highlights the enormous and ever widening gulf between the Republican base -- maybe 20% of all voters -- and the rest of the US, let alone the rest of the developed Western world. The GOP itself is an anomaly -- no other developed nation has a mainstream party so far to the right, or, it appears, so divorced from facts.
It depends somewhat on how lenient you are with the tag 'developed' nation, but in a number of Eastern European countries this level/degree of right wing politics is 'normalised' and mainstream (I immediately thought of Poland's PiS party that had won recent parliamentary elections, and in their specific context are essentially like the GOP, that's just one example). Although in Europe, mainstream parties are not as firmly grounded in the political sphere in the sense that it's possible for a party to completely collapse and/or change name - which is something we don't see here in Australia or the US, of course.

Quote:
It's sad. Especially when we take recent studies that show that life expectancy for lower income whites is actually falling. There's a terrifying resemblance to early 1990s post-Soviet Russia amongst the states that have been devastated by the enormous growth in income inequality since the 1980 election. It doesn't surprise me that such candidates gain traction with desperate people looking for someone to blame. That's what the GOP offers -- blame and resentment.
Not quite as rapid and as immediately devastating, though, more like a consistent slow burn.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:16 AM   #460
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I am scared if anyone from Republican wins, because these people would not care about academics and education and all that; as an aspiring guy who wants to stay in academia, those people who have skeptical attitude toward science is pretty pretty detrimental to me; plus, I believe that progressivism is important for this ever-changing world. We need to change in some way or another to change social structures to adjust changes so that we can share our wealth. But it's true that if I weren't this liberal, I might think Bernie is insane.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #461
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I am scared if anyone from Republican wins, because these people would not care about academics and education and all that; as an aspiring guy who wants to stay in academia, those people who have skeptical attitude toward science is pretty pretty detrimental to me; plus, I believe that progressivism is important for this ever-changing world.
The R's would probably close down all our public schools.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #462
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post

Or at least change the textbooks.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #463
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post

They'll change them into charter schools.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 11-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #464
Blue Crack Supplier

I should probably amend my "farthest right in the Western world" comment to apply to economics and (maybe) religion. It's absolutely true that Europe has far right nationalist parties that have no equivalent in the US. The GOP isn't nearly as anti-immigrant as the UKIP, for example. But then, it's hard to draw straight lines between a 2-party system and a nation with multiple parties.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #465
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Additionally, there's a sort of common phenomenon throughout many mainstream parties in Europe where in the instance of a rise in popularity of a far right party - the mainstream right party drifts further to the right to try and regain that popularity, and as a result the goalposts of the mainstream are moved in that direction.