2016 US Presidential Election Pt. III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't tell if Sharia Law is coming or is already supposed to be here - judging by reactionaries, whether in the US or here in Australia.

I'm looking at all the things on the sidebar, with phrases like "Assault on the Right" and "Targeting the NRA" to name a couple, and that's already making me side-eye the legitimacy of this site and its statistics. They sound rather paranoid.

And I'm still waiting for this supposed encroachment of Sharia law that people keep insisting is coming our way. Haven't seen or heard any hint of it being a legit threat.

After reading the polling methodology I'm going to withdraw my original assertion, that it is "an alarming number".

After reading the polling methodology I'm going to withdraw my original assertion, that it is "an alarming number".

Doesn't this bother you? Trump tweets disinformation created by the KKK, rattles off countless racist bs, wants to follow in the footsteps of hitler, you and his followers don't question a thing and fall for this shit, and you accuse us of attaching an "ism"?

So what will it take for you to acknowledge racism? Are you waiting for him to sport a white hood?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Liberty University? Wouldn't mind a Bachelor of Freedom degree myself.

Meanwhile the president of Liberty University, a religious fundamentalist in his own right, has encouraged his student body to get their carry permits and arm themselves.

Ah, but don't forget the most important part - they should arm themselves so they can "end those Muslims."

He sounds nice.

My roommate interviewed for medical school there and he said they asked him some ridiculous questions like "how much do you think prayer can impact a successful surgery" and other wacko shit that you shouldn't be teaching doctors.

As a Great-great-grandchild of Polish and Lithuanian immigrants I would love to believe this too. Unfortunately, there is less assimilation in the modern age and more disturbing is that within immigrant pockets their is open hostility towards their new homeland.

Center for Security Policy: Poll of U.S. Muslims Reveals Ominous Levels Of Support For Islamic Supremacists’ Doctrine of Shariah, Jihad

From above link of the poll of 600 Muslims living in the US.

13. "Violence against Americans here in the United States can be justified as part of the global Jihad"

25% TOTAL AGREE (NET)

13% STRONGLY AGREE

12% SOMEWHAT AGREE

I'm not against Islam as a religion, but these stats are alarming from a security standpoint. As the with Obama, I view this as a perversion of a religion. We can discuss a percentage of Christianity that supports violence against PP and abortion clinics, if there is a poll. I'm sure there is a percentage that would see the murder of George Tiller as justified.

The Center for Security Policy is a bullshit factory.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual/frank-gaffney-jr

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sad but true, Lucky. Your "down with the establishment" thing reminds me of one of the most infuriating reasons I've heard for why he gets support. "He's not afraid to speak his mind! He actually takes the gloves off and says what people are too scared to say!"

There's a disturbing amount of people who seem to think that "being honest and not afraid to say what's on your mind" means that people should have carte blanche to say whatever stupid thought pops into their head without being called on it.

One of the (many) things I find most laughable and confusing about the right being fans of Trump: Remember how one of the biggest criticisms they had of Obama in 2008 was that he was more of a celebrity than a politician.

Uh-huh. Yeah. So...where's that same complaint now?

My step-dad honest to God screamed at me last week because I didn't agree with him about some topic of gun rights, and told me that this is America and he can have his own opinions.

This after five hours of basically non-stop drilling me about my opinions and why they're wrong. I don't get it.

I can't remember the last time I posted here, but my goodness what a circus. :corn:
:O! :hyper:
They will get their shit together after 8 years of Hillary, perhaps. Or they will keep touting outrageous bullshit and then accompany that with shutting down the government & all the typical stuff. Then the Dems will run and elect the first openly GLBT potus after Hillary's two terms are up.

Can't shut down the government if they lose majority in Congress, though...

Ah, but don't forget the most important part - they should arm themselves so they can "end those Muslims."

He sounds nice.

You know what? There's no way to say this sentence without it coming off as hyperbolic, but I'm starting to get desperate to find a job in Japan and get the hell out of here. I really am. I can't even begin to imagine raising kids here. I'm terrified by the thought of some kind of revolution that's about to break out between gun nuts and average citizens. I really just can't handle this stuff much longer.

My roommate interviewed for medical school there and he said they asked him some ridiculous questions like "how much do you think prayer can impact a successful surgery" and other wacko shit that you shouldn't be teaching doctors.

...and they were serious?

Wooooooooooow :doh:. Here's hoping they never get anywhere near a hospital.

My step-dad honest to God screamed at me last week because I didn't agree with him about some topic of gun rights, and told me that this is America and he can have his own opinions.

This after five hours of basically non-stop drilling me about my opinions and why they're wrong. I don't get it.

You can say what you want as long as it's something others agree with! Didn't you get the memo?

I really feel for those of you who live in homes with people who buy into this insanity. I want to go hug my mom and thank her and my dad for being sane, reasonable people.

You know what? There's no way to say this sentence without it coming off as hyperbolic, but I'm starting to get desperate to find a job in Japan and get the hell out of here. I really am. I can't even begin to imagine raising kids here. I'm terrified by the thought of some kind of revolution that's about to break out between gun nuts and average citizens. I really just can't handle this stuff much longer.

No, I get it. I hear you. It's a concern that's in the back of my mind sometimes, too. Something's got to give on that issue eventually, and I shudder to think of what that might be.

Yes they were serious. He said the whole interview was just asking him about his faith, and about god's mission and how he would be working to satisfy it.

I think this all just goes to show the fallacy of the idea that the world only ever spins forward. We can go backwards socially as much as we can go forwards.

The trouble is Trump is just making everything else the other candidates say look moderate by comparison when to be honest they are only just a little less insane.

I find it unlikely Trump will win any election against a Democrat but even if he wins 47% or whatever that is a serious enough proportion of the population to think the USA as a political and social entity has some very serious problems.

Across the board the world feels like it has regressed in some very fundamental ways in regards to politics and the liberties we used to take for granted. It is all fairly disheartening.

^ It is partly, I think, because the economic underpinnings of that society that existed mid- through late- 20th century are all but gone now. The resulting alienation expresses itself, among other things, through hyper-emotive nationalist and cultural grievance.

It could express itself in the form of an honest-to-god populist party as happened in the late nineteenth century, but so far in the US, it seems to be taking the form of the fever-dream that is the Tea Party, the not-unrelated lurch to extreme nativism among would-be GOP candidates like Trump, and on the other side, the eminently forgettable Occupy 'movement'.

I'm quite sure there is a sizeable contingent, in the US, and in other countries, who vote in much the way that a kicked dog bites. Trump knows them. They're his buddies, until he gets bored and moves on to his next reality show (The Scumbag).

Last edited:
I find it unlikely Trump will win any election against a Democrat but even if he wins 47% or whatever that is a serious enough proportion of the population to think the USA as a political and social entity has some very serious problems.

I don't think you'd need to get to that point to believe it. Trump is more or less a symptom, a completely unfiltered representation of something that has always existed. I would not say this is the sort of thing unique to the US either, but a reflection of the world's general crisis state politically.

Aye it definitely is something that is world wide rather than purely a US thing, just obviously as ever the US is just the most striking example at the moment.

Whether UKIP (or the general rightward lurch of the Tory Party), the National Front in France, Fidesz and Orban in Hungary, The Finns Party (in well, Finland), throw in Netanyahu, Putin and Erdogan. The world is on shakey ground with these folks coming to the fore.

These tensions feel like the buildup to something, like the various crises that led up to the the first World War which could have started many times before it actually got going. I'm not suggesting a world war is on its way, it is impossible to predict such a thing, but the current political climate is trending towards a form of authoritarianism and nationalism that ain't great. Trump just adds to that.

^ It is partly, I think, because the economic underpinnings of that society that existed mid- through late- 20th century are all but gone now. The resulting alienation expresses itself, among other things, through hyper-emotive nationalist and cultural grievance.

Can I borrow this?

Eh, if they didn't get their shit together after 8 years of the evil Muslim anti-christ Obama, I don't know that they ever will. ;)

Also:

The mayor of Philadelphia just called the front-running Republican Presidential candidate an asshole.

The comment came at the tail end of a press conference, a day after a severed pig’s head was found outside the Al Aqsa Mosque on Germantown Avenue.

Mayor Michael Nutter: Donald Trump is 'an asshole'

Michael Nutter = truth speaker.
This is especially funny to me because Michael Nutter is a huge nerd. Him calling anyone an asshole is funny, him calling Donald Trump an asshole as he's on his way out before we host the RNC is hysterical.

Japan is one of the worst place for immigrants to be totally honest. A very unassimilated society with deep systemic biases against immigrants within the work force, etc. Beautiful country, amazing people and culture and food, but truthfully one of the last places I'd want to raise kids as a foreigner...

All true
and still quite chauvinistic
(insert some other idealistic utopia to migrate to,
you may run into other Americans there that said they would flee if *
* Obama
* Clinton
* Reagan got elected)

Last edited:
Japan is one of the worst place for immigrants to be totally honest. A very unassimilated society with deep systemic biases against immigrants within the work force, etc. Beautiful country, amazing people and culture and food, but truthfully one of the last places I'd want to raise kids as a foreigner...

I didn't pick it out of a hat, it's just the only other country I have ties to work in :wink:.

Definitely aware of its faults. In general I'm not overly eager to have kids anywhere right now either. I'm just saying that I don't want to be here anymore, looking over my shoulder at the movie theater.

sbs5euxulidjjercwfaq.gif

Fuckin A bird. Murica

From a strategic perspective, I think Trump might actually be the worst candidate for Hillary to face off against. The way I see it, the Republicans have no chance to win the White House, but the best hail-mary they have is Donald Trump as he could draw out the angriest white voters in droves and get votes for being a celebrity. A 1% chance is better than the 0% of someone like Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio (if he doubles down on the "no abortions whatsoever" statement).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom