2016 US Presidential Election Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese people commenting "Bernie is too old. Why don't you retire for Christ's sake" on random website is pretty laughable shit.

Anyway, I am pretty liberal and that so my comments could be pretty biased ( in the right way of course!...jk).

As of right now, Fiorina easily makes debate #2, bumping out Chris Christie who is narrowly behind John Kasich when you average the recent polls. One wonders how long Christie will continue with this delusional charade as he's clearly been unelectable since BridgeGate, gaining no traction since then and actually harming his chances in the first debate (based on polling).

I have a plan for Sanders that I came up with about a week ago and need to get in touch with people in his campaign...it would narrow Hillary's financial advantage tremendously and greatly increase his name recognition. Don't really want anything in return (what I want is a Sanders Presidency, obvs), just want to get in contact with some key people for a few minutes. It's a ridiculous plan, but it seems like it would work as long as their campaign was willing to do the ground work.

Last edited:
I'd actually like to hear Sanders speak. Haven't seen him interview on news programs or even speech coverage. Maybe the media is trying to minimize him on behalf of the Clintons.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd actually like to hear Sanders speak. Haven't seen him interview on news programs or even speech coverage. Maybe the media is trying to minimize him on behalf of the Clintons.

The media! The media! The media!

I'm complaining on behalf of Sanders. Let the man speak !

I completely agree with you, I think Sanders deserves more media coverage. But it isn't because of some massive media conspiracy on behalf of the Clintons. If anything the media is out to get Clinton, what with the media hyping up the email "scandal." It's because Sanders is boring and actually wants to talk policy. It doesn't make for good TV; not when you can put a sentient YouTube comment on TV.

I'm the polar opposite of Sanders politically but I feel like he is getting shafted on air-time. Don't know the man but maybe he likes the loner style for now and is reticent to do prime time interviews right now

I'm the polar opposite of Sanders politically but I feel like he is getting shafted on air-time. Don't know the man but maybe he likes the loner style for now and is reticent to do prime time interviews right now

But is anyone getting real coverage?

Trump gets air for being an ass, not his policy. Hilary gets air for her haircut and email scandal. Do the other 27 clowns get anything? :shrug:

Everybody should be spreading around whatever network opportunities they can get. All of them should try to hit the Sunday morning shows. Trump did 3 in one day calling in to two of them.

Everybody should be spreading around whatever network opportunities they can get. All of them should try to hit the Sunday morning shows. Trump did 3 in one day calling in to two of them.

Kind of helps when he has his own private jet, helicopter and he can go wherever he damn well pleases ;)

The professional politicos are pissed that Trump and Carson are surging ahead of their golden boys.

That's one explanation ;)

I know you and others still think he's shaking up things and saying what the people want to hear, but the fact is; if he doesn't start speaking to actual policy, they're right, he's attracting the low information voter.

And that doesn't mean you're a low info voter by default. But reality is when pressed the Trump supporters in here only came up with one true piece of policy, the rest was rhetoric.

Think this is a long con by Trump

He's trolling the GOP base and secretly wants Hillary to win

What better way than to destroy the GOP

;)

I'm pleased that citizens are speaking out about their dissatisfaction with an oligarchal system of government that causes incompetence to fester. It is too easy to hold on to your position (or your lineage's position) in government with money, seniority and the right connections. This isn't new information.

I think we all know that there's corruption in Washington, but there's a real danger in accepting the distant hope of systemic change as the key issue of the election. Hateful rhetoric and a paucity of legitimate ideas have filled the spot where innovation and experience should go. The idea of Trump and Carson running my country terrifies me because there's so little substance or diplomatic experience there, but it seems to be their greatest asset according to about a third of Republicans. "Different" cannot equate to "terrible" because we're supposedly at rock bottom. We may find out, though I realize polling data trends away from novelty as the election approaches.

Last edited:
i think the novelty will wear off, and i think Sanders will wind up being good for Hillary, and it will be closer in the beginning than we thought months ago.

it will be either:

Bush/Kasich or Rubio/Fiornia vs. Clinton/??? (Manchin?)

and Clinton will win.

that's my prediction 6 months out from the first primaries.

Rather than using my own words ....Harvard Professor Lawrence Lessig is exactly right about what's fundamentally wrong with American government.

Lawrence Lessig explains how money corrupts Congress | Harvard Magazine

an excerpt from his book:

Lawrence Lessig on How We Lost Our Democracy | Rolling Stone

a solid overview of his book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic,_Lost

Lessig is a liberal libertarian of sorts. He's the closest I've found to someone who I would really be excited about running for President - mostly because of this one issue - the exact problem with American government. The problem is a little complicated but essentially, the solution isn't. We first have to deemphasize the importance of financing campaigns, and you can only feasibly do this by having fewer elections. Longer terms, term limits.

Otherwise you're relying on the people to rise up together and demand congress police itself with bullshit legislation that will have built-in loopholes. If you literally have fewer elections, you have de-emphasized the need for constant campaign funding, you have de-emphasized the buying of votes. Short of being able to educate the American people to be more informed (LOL, Trump and Bernie this cycle, Kucinich and Ron Paul...before them Buchanan and Nader, the outsiders are always on the ideological fringe) then we have to tackle the problems we can actually fix, in some meaningful way.

Said another way, you lessen partisan gridlock when there is less reason for them to play politics with every single thing under the sun. They only do this because they are CONSTANTLY worried about elections. That money can essentially buy elections is a problem unto itself, but almost unfixable in any reasonable time-frame (decades upon decades). When you have low information voters...not just those that know the entire Kardashian family but couldn't tell you who Joe Biden was...but those effective low info voters that actually pay attention, become actively engaged and then become turned on to non-serious fringe ideas...you are severely limited by how you can get the people to rise up and do the smart thing.

Term limits is the way to begin this process. We just have to figure out a way to sell it to otherwise intelligent (but relatively low info) folks like Rachel Maddow. I heard her literally say she didn't even understand the need for term limits. Not even "I don't support it", she said she didn't even understand it. This is what I mean by low information people that are also engaged. Just because you pay attention, does not mean you are truly informed. Another of a vast array of problems that requires the solution to be dumbed down enough to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom