2016 US Presidential Election Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not wasting one minute of my reading time tomorrow night listening to those idiots try to out-Tea Party each other. The election is, what, 18 months away? I don't give a damn what Trump, Huckabee, or any of the others have to say about anything at this point.

The Republicans will nominate Bush anyway, so none of this matters.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

What's clear is that you can twist facts to convince yourself of a lie to downplay the murder of babies.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh, ok. So this isn't about fetal tissue. It's about whether or not abortion is murder.

I wish you had said so from the start and not tried to present fake videos as proof that PP is a nefarious organization that encourages abortions so they can make money. Which is hilarious, because PP *prevents* more abortions than anyone in the U.S.

If you are anti-choice, that's fine. Just stick with that, because these videos do nothing to win over even moderately critical eyes.

The delicious irony is that the guys with the Trump avatars are lecturing the rest of us about reality and truth.

I'd like to think of the thread as a "play by play" analysis of the race. But of course we're going to go head to head on issues.

And how about the state of the democratic race? O'malley was complaining
about the lack of debates. Hillary is sinking. The Democrat establishment and super-delegates will try to move earth to stop Sanders. And Biden is waiting in the wings.

8:50 EST, so 10:50 AM for you guys in Melbourne. It's on Fox News, but I'm sure there will be an online stream somewhere.

Can someone tell me what time this starts what the lineup is and how I can watch it pls

Line up is:

Donald Trump: "Who's doing the raping?"

Jeb Bush: "We need to figure out a way to phase out this program" (speaking about Medicare)

Scott Walker: "If I can take on 100,000 protestors, I can do the same across the world" (comparing pro-Union protestors to ISIS)

Mike Huckabee: "If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar...then so be it" (speaking about the contraception mandate)

Ben Carson: "You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery"

Ted Cruz: "Net Neutrality is Obamacare for the Internet; the Internet should not operate at the speed of government" (showing a complete misunderstanding of what net neutrality is)

Marco Rubio: "Whether the Earth was created in 7 days or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries"

Rand Paul: "I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines"

Chris Christie: "You know something may go down tonight, but it ain't gonna be jobs, sweetheart" (said to a protestor)

John Kasich: "I don't need you people" (said to a black women)

It's a real fine bunch.

Even as someone who is iffy about aspects of abortion, I am not disturbed by the videos. If people are going to choose to have an abortion, I'm at least glad something positive can come from the scientific research done with the tissue and other things. It's better than doing nothing. That's what would be nefarious in my mind.

I can't even think about the DNC nomination right now, because honestly, I hardly think it matters. They're all resting on their heels until the Republican candidates rip each other to threads. Why bother hard campaigning right now when it's not time to pounce yet? The time will come, but it'll be after the dust settles tomorrow.

For our international guests, please be aware that this is a crowded field aiming at the GOP base. Since it's so crowded, they are going to say the most shocking and stunning things possible in order to make the highlights reel from the debate. They need to find a way to stand out from one another. And because they are speaking to the GOP base, they will go more conservative than they actually are. Once a candidate is selected to be the nominee and must appeal to the entire country, they will modify their positions and present as more centrist.

Just keep that in mind as these Iranian hardliners take the stage.

Why can't they just be put on an uninhabited island? I would watch Survivor: GOP Nominations.

For our international guests, please be aware that this is a crowded field aiming at the GOP base. Since it's so crowded, they are going to say the most shocking and stunning things possible in order to make the highlights reel from the debate. They need to find a way to stand out from one another. And because they are speaking to the GOP base, they will go more conservative than they actually are. Once a candidate is selected to be the nominee and must appeal to the entire country, they will modify their positions and present as more centrist.

Just keep that in mind as these Iranian hardliners take the stage.

Why are you warning us this is the entire reason I'm watching haha

As for context in the Planned Parenthood thing, what these videos were designed to sinus give GOP candidates a way to talk about abortion without being too scary about it. "We should defund Planned Parenthood" is much more palatable to a moderate voter than "no abortions ever." The base understands that progress and baby steps are preferable to sweeping intentions that don't go anywhere.

There's a reason these tapes were released in the weeks leading up to the debates. It's not like the group got the covert footage and races breathlessly to CNN and said, "stop the presses! We have proof PP is seeking to maximize profits on fetal tissue! This is an important issue that every American must know about! It's like abortion watergate!"

This is all part of the political calculus, and the social right making sure that they will be heard and not ignored by the several dozen candidates.

Have you watched the videos? Decide for yourself whether there is editing

The objective, impartial, nonpartisan truth of the matter is that the videos were heavily edited. Editing doesn't have to mean (as your statements here seem to imply) that everything must be spliced together from disparate parts to create a false narrative, but in this case it certainly means that contextually clarifying statements were omitted in order to create a false narrative.

This isn't a matter of opinion. If, in the face of hard evidence proving that significant editing was done, you state that you still don't think they were edited, then sure, that's your opinion, but your opinion also happens to be wrong.

:shrug:

Well they are out there and affecting public opinion. As I said before even Hillary watched them and found them "disturbing"

Time to move on. I've said my piece.

As to the state of the race it will be interesting to see the debate tonight.

The Democratic side is in flux. A recent poll had clinton 42% to sanders 36%. Certainly striking distance. Looks like we'll have to wait until October for a dem debate.

I'll say it's refreshing that we don't have 2 coronated candidates. And we sleep through the primaries without much interest

And again I say that imo the Democratic side is meaningless right now. They're not trying to do anything to mess themselves up right now while their opponents are ripping each other to pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom