2016 US Presidential Election Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's significant about 1992 is that it's when the culture warriors took control of the GOP away from the country club/chamber of commerce Republicans. It was when the Baby Boomers (Clinton) were taking power away from the WW2 generation (Bush 1), and within the Baby Boom, the fault lines drawn up around the Vietnam War.

I guess Bob Dole was the country club/chamber of commerce set's last ditch try at taking back the crown before they realised they were better off hitching a ride to the neocons under the Bush family franchise.

As an aside, Bob Dole is still alive. That blows my mind.

Makes me wonder now that I think of it; who was the last Second World War veteran to play any part, however unsuccessful, in presidential primaries? Was Dole it, or am I forgetting someone?

I guess Bob Dole was the country club/chamber of commerce set's last ditch try at taking back the crown before they realised they were better off hitching a ride to the neocons under the Bush family franchise.

As an aside, Bob Dole is still alive. That blows my mind.

Makes me wonder now that I think of it; who was the last Second World War veteran to play any part, however unsuccessful, in presidential primaries? Was Dole it, or am I forgetting someone?

I think it may have been Dole.

The reason for the ascension of W Bush was that he was able to talk the evangelical talk, while retaining the blue blood family name and educational pedigree. He could speak Jesus and money. That's why he clobbered the GOP field in 2000.

A Bush/Kasich ticket could be a very strong Republican ticket against Hillary. Bush secures Florida and Kasich secures Ohio + what Romney won in 2012 and that gets the Republican ticket to 253. Iowa, Colorado and Nevada would be the most likely states to flip next and would take the Republican ticket to over 270 for the win. So just by flipping those five states, you could see the Republicans back in the White House.

A Bush/Kasich ticket could be a very strong Republican ticket against Hillary. Bush secures Florida and Kasich secures Ohio + what Romney won in 2012 and that gets the Republican ticket to 253. Iowa, Colorado and Nevada would be the most likely states to flip next and would take the Republican ticket to over 270 for the win. So just by flipping those five states, you could see the Republicans back in the White House.

Trump and Mark Cuban would be an amazingly entertaining ticket. Bush/Kasich is typical, predictable ticket (even though I am a fan of Kasich). Trump/Cuban would just be pure insanity.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Trump & Cuban? Seriously? Neither one of them has any real world experience in governing or world diplomacy. Owning a business or a basketball team does not suddenly make one qualified to be potus. If that were the case, why not just elect Joe the Plumber?

Trump & Cuban? Seriously? Neither one of them has any real world experience in governing or world diplomacy. Owning a business or a basketball team does not suddenly make one qualified to be potus. If that were the case, why not just elect Joe the Plumber?

Cuban made a comment about being Trump's VP. I just think it would be absolutely hilarious having 2 non politicians in the mix. It would be the most entertaining presidential race ever.

The reason for the ascension of W Bush was that he was able to talk the evangelical talk, while retaining the blue blood family name and educational pedigree. He could speak Jesus and money. That's why he clobbered the GOP field in 2000.
Imagine if a Democrat was an alcoholic and cocaine addict in his youth. White religious people can truly get away with anything, provided they come from money and slap the label "born-again" on their recovery.

Cuban made a comment about being Trump's VP. I just think it would be absolutely hilarious having 2 non politicians in the mix. It would be the most entertaining presidential race ever.

Entertaining...perhaps. Good for the GOP...i guess that depends on your perspective of them. Trump is making all of the noise right now because he is currently 2016's Palin/Cruz/Santorum/etc. He's not electable, baring something of a calamity, and would probably only get 40% of the vote in the general election. I suspect less than that from women. If you truly want the best people running on both sides, just in case one of them actually wins, which one of them actually will, Trump is not the answer.

CLKkTpkWoAEmiyl.jpg

I wonder what would've happened if he had picked up a 2 Live Crew album...

That culture wars stuff had a long pedigree, I can remember some old documentary once concerning the takeover of the GOP by the 'conservative movement' and there was some clip of one of those big preachers (not Falwell or any of those) doing a spot around the time Reagan was running in 1980 and it's all 'we've had enough of the hippies and the perverts and the libruls and the dropouts and deviants and moderate conservatives...'

The roots of the Religious Right largely come from the IRS case against Bob Jones University. The IRS wanted to deny tax exemptions to Bob Jones University because they wouldn't admit black students. This really upset the conservative movement and they rallied to support the school. Little known fact is that a lot of conservatives supported Roe v. Wade when the ruling first came out.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133.html#.Vbvx11JHbCQ

If Bush wins the nomination, grassroots republicans will stay home. I don't see how he wins. He's right now reaching near peak numbers with the professional Chamber of Commerce Republicans. Christie drops he picks up a few percentage points.

The ultimate victor will have the accumulation of the supporters of Paul+Rubio+Cruz+Carson+Walker+Trump+Huckabee. Right now those percentages are spread apart. But are where the true power of the electorate lies.

Imagine if a Democrat was an alcoholic and cocaine addict in his youth. White religious people can truly get away with anything, provided they come from money and slap the label "born-again" on their recovery.

You can even be a child molester, but if you pray on it and get a stern talking to and realize we're all just sinners Ina fallen world and temptation is just everywhere, you're good to go.

I agree. This seems like the only competitive ticket.

Is there any speculation on Hillary's VP?

If the nation were ready for 2 women, I'd put money on Claire McCaskill.

So do you think it would be entertaining, or are you truly pulling for a Trump nomination? I noticed two of our conservative friends have changed their avatars, are you in on the joke or supporting him?

I would like some honest engagement on this guy, so far I haven't met one person online or in real life that can honestly tell me why they like this guy.

Considering how absent he looked at times during his presidency, I'm not sure chemical assistance was even all past tense.

I agree. This seems like the only competitive ticket.

Is there any speculation on Hillary's VP?

If the nation were ready for 2 women, I'd put money on Claire McCaskill.

Hillary nominates Bill as her VP; American right blogosphere collectively explodes into little pieces of brain matter.

Trump Overthrows Government; Sells Federal Reserve To Himself; Replaces Currency With Gold Coins Of His Face.

First rule of Trump candidacy is that you don't talk about it
Second rule of Trump candidacy is that you don't talk about it

Clive Palmer Buys Australia; Sells It To Emperor Donald Trump.

The man has an obsession with raising giant phallic symbols on the world's most valuable real estate with his name prominently displayed upon them for all to see.

This man is running for the office of President of the United States of America.

Extrapolate.

It continues to be hilarious watching most of the other Republican candidates
seemingly unable to understand why Trump has jumped to the front.

I'm buying some extra Jiffy Pop for Thursday night.

It's not him, it's what he is saying. They all had a chance before he entered to drop all the political correct speech and simply talk about issues that concern Americans. Its been a long time since Americans have heard a person running for office who does not talk like a politician.

I don't think Hillary Clinton will win the nomination. She is sinking. She just does not seem like she can handle anything unless it's in a cage and will follow her rules.

It could be Bernie Sanders, but I think it will be Elizabeth Warren.

It's not him, it's what he is saying.

So then why has he jumped up front? What is he saying?

Just give us one reason. I'm having the hardest time finding one single supporter that can engage and articulate why. Which is why he's going to fail miserably at any debate.

It's not him, it's what he is saying. They all had a chance before he entered to drop all the political correct speech and simply talk about issues that concern Americans. Its been a long time since Americans have heard a person running for office who does not talk like a politician.

I don't think Hillary Clinton will win the nomination. She is sinking. She just does not seem like she can handle anything unless it's in a cage and will follow her rules.

It could be Bernie Sanders, but I think it will be Elizabeth Warren.
The bubble you live in must be a wonderful place.

Just give us one reason. I'm having the hardest time finding one single supporter that can engage and articulate why. Which is why he's going to fail miserably at any debate.

One reason is what he said about illegal aliens who commit crimes after entering the U.S. They need to be stopped and deported.

We will see Thursday how he does in the debate.

Concerning Hillary, I think after she falls apart on the campaign trail, the Democratic Party will draft Elizabeth Warren.

For one, I love the fact that he's standing up to the Republican establishment, but not in a Tea Party way. He hasn't sold his soul to interest groups, simply because he couldn't care less what people think of him and doesn't need the money. He says what he thinks is right and doesn't back down from it.
Policy wise, he is spot on about Mexico's growth and how the U.S. gets no benefit from it. U.S. companies are getting labor from Mexico with no penalty from the U.S. when we purchase all of their companies crap. Taxing and putting restrictions on Mexican imports will not only cause Americans to buy more domestic products, but also take the money collected in the taxes and build a frikin wall. And adding tougher Illegal immigration policy will help with that. However, we need cooperation with the Mexican government and Trump is the only one who can see Mexico getting their way with us. Trump knows business and I think he's the kind of guy who will demand the cooperation necessary to improve our relationship with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom