2016 US Presidential Election Pt. II - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2015, 01:50 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
What's significant about 1992 is that it's when the culture warriors took control of the GOP away from the country club/chamber of commerce Republicans. It was when the Baby Boomers (Clinton) were taking power away from the WW2 generation (Bush 1), and within the Baby Boom, the fault lines drawn up around the Vietnam War.
I guess Bob Dole was the country club/chamber of commerce set's last ditch try at taking back the crown before they realised they were better off hitching a ride to the neocons under the Bush family franchise.

As an aside, Bob Dole is still alive. That blows my mind.

Makes me wonder now that I think of it; who was the last Second World War veteran to play any part, however unsuccessful, in presidential primaries? Was Dole it, or am I forgetting someone?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I guess Bob Dole was the country club/chamber of commerce set's last ditch try at taking back the crown before they realised they were better off hitching a ride to the neocons under the Bush family franchise.

As an aside, Bob Dole is still alive. That blows my mind.

Makes me wonder now that I think of it; who was the last Second World War veteran to play any part, however unsuccessful, in presidential primaries? Was Dole it, or am I forgetting someone?

I think it may have been Dole.

The reason for the ascension of W Bush was that he was able to talk the evangelical talk, while retaining the blue blood family name and educational pedigree. He could speak Jesus and money. That's why he clobbered the GOP field in 2000.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #63
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:59 PM
A Bush/Kasich ticket could be a very strong Republican ticket against Hillary. Bush secures Florida and Kasich secures Ohio + what Romney won in 2012 and that gets the Republican ticket to 253. Iowa, Colorado and Nevada would be the most likely states to flip next and would take the Republican ticket to over 270 for the win. So just by flipping those five states, you could see the Republicans back in the White House.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Walter Mondale is still alive, that blows my mind
Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
A Bush/Kasich ticket could be a very strong Republican ticket against Hillary. Bush secures Florida and Kasich secures Ohio + what Romney won in 2012 and that gets the Republican ticket to 253. Iowa, Colorado and Nevada would be the most likely states to flip next and would take the Republican ticket to over 270 for the win. So just by flipping those five states, you could see the Republicans back in the White House.

Trump and Mark Cuban would be an amazingly entertaining ticket. Bush/Kasich is typical, predictable ticket (even though I am a fan of Kasich). Trump/Cuban would just be pure insanity.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Trump & Cuban? Seriously? Neither one of them has any real world experience in governing or world diplomacy. Owning a business or a basketball team does not suddenly make one qualified to be potus. If that were the case, why not just elect Joe the Plumber?
Old 07-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Trump & Cuban? Seriously? Neither one of them has any real world experience in governing or world diplomacy. Owning a business or a basketball team does not suddenly make one qualified to be potus. If that were the case, why not just elect Joe the Plumber?

Cuban made a comment about being Trump's VP. I just think it would be absolutely hilarious having 2 non politicians in the mix. It would be the most entertaining presidential race ever.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
The reason for the ascension of W Bush was that he was able to talk the evangelical talk, while retaining the blue blood family name and educational pedigree. He could speak Jesus and money. That's why he clobbered the GOP field in 2000.
Imagine if a Democrat was an alcoholic and cocaine addict in his youth. White religious people can truly get away with anything, provided they come from money and slap the label "born-again" on their recovery.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:13 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Cuban made a comment about being Trump's VP. I just think it would be absolutely hilarious having 2 non politicians in the mix. It would be the most entertaining presidential race ever.

Entertaining...perhaps. Good for the GOP...i guess that depends on your perspective of them. Trump is making all of the noise right now because he is currently 2016's Palin/Cruz/Santorum/etc. He's not electable, baring something of a calamity, and would probably only get 40% of the vote in the general election. I suspect less than that from women. If you truly want the best people running on both sides, just in case one of them actually wins, which one of them actually will, Trump is not the answer.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #70
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

I wonder what would've happened if he had picked up a 2 Live Crew album...

Old 07-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #71
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
That culture wars stuff had a long pedigree, I can remember some old documentary once concerning the takeover of the GOP by the 'conservative movement' and there was some clip of one of those big preachers (not Falwell or any of those) doing a spot around the time Reagan was running in 1980 and it's all 'we've had enough of the hippies and the perverts and the libruls and the dropouts and deviants and moderate conservatives...'

The roots of the Religious Right largely come from the IRS case against Bob Jones University. The IRS wanted to deny tax exemptions to Bob Jones University because they wouldn't admit black students. This really upset the conservative movement and they rallied to support the school. Little known fact is that a lot of conservatives supported Roe v. Wade when the ruling first came out.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...l#.Vbvx11JHbCQ

Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If Bush wins the nomination, grassroots republicans will stay home. I don't see how he wins. He's right now reaching near peak numbers with the professional Chamber of Commerce Republicans. Christie drops he picks up a few percentage points.

The ultimate victor will have the accumulation of the supporters of Paul+Rubio+Cruz+Carson+Walker+Trump+Huckabee. Right now those percentages are spread apart. But are where the true power of the electorate lies.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Imagine if a Democrat was an alcoholic and cocaine addict in his youth. White religious people can truly get away with anything, provided they come from money and slap the label "born-again" on their recovery.

You can even be a child molester, but if you pray on it and get a stern talking to and realize we're all just sinners Ina fallen world and temptation is just everywhere, you're good to go.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post

I agree. This seems like the only competitive ticket.

Is there any speculation on Hillary's VP?

If the nation were ready for 2 women, I'd put money on Claire McCaskill.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #75
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post

So do you think it would be entertaining, or are you truly pulling for a Trump nomination? I noticed two of our conservative friends have changed their avatars, are you in on the joke or supporting him?

I would like some honest engagement on this guy, so far I haven't met one person online or in real life that can honestly tell me why they like this guy.