2016 US Presidential Election Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that she was sincere in wishing to be VP. Trump's ultimate intentions are less clear. I do see his campaign as, first and foremost, a social experiment.

Many GOP voters are fed up with the Washington GOP establishment. Backroom deals. Chamber of Commerce running the agenda. McConnell and Boehner are spineless. This is why Trump is resonating. My step-dad who is a blue collar Democrat (Basically wants to protect his state job pension), his evangelical daughter, his apolitical millennial son, we had a BBQ at Big Bass and all anybody could talk about was Trump. America is really sick of the crony-capitalism and political correctness. He's hitting a nerve as Kasich said.

On the other side Sanders is tapping into that same feeling.

Americans are tired of viewing their politicians as NASCAR drivers with corporate donors stamped all over them (Wouldn't that be great)

Folks get that sense from Hillary and Jeb (who is down to 7% in the latest NBC GOP poll)

The thing is I don't like Sanders simply because of his rhetoric, but because of his clearly defined policy positions which he has consistently laid out for years. So far, Trump has offered next to no policy positions. As they say in Texas, he's all hat and no cattle.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Many GOP voters are fed up with the Washington GOP establishment. Backroom deals. Chamber of Commerce running the agenda. McConnell and Boehner are spineless. This is why Trump is resonating. My step-dad who is a blue collar Democrat (Basically wants to protect his state job pension), his evangelical daughter, his apolitical millennial son, we had a BBQ at Big Bass and all anybody could talk about was Trump. America is really sick of the crony-capitalism and political correctness. He's hitting a nerve as Kasich said.

Americans are tired of viewing their politicians as NASCAR drivers with corporate donors stamped all over them (Wouldn't that be great)

Folks get that sense from Hillary and Jeb (who is down to 7% in the latest NBC GOP poll)

What policies has Trump advocated that you support? How do you feel he would handle foreign policy? SCOTUS nominations?

What you are saying is bascially what i am hearing as well. It's a long road ahead so i am wondering if Trump can and will go the distance. However he is hitting nerve.

As others have said, basically nobody knows what his policies are or what he stands for other than wanting to build a fence to keep out Mexicans, even if it does have that shiny door there for those who want to come in legally, or whatever that statement was.

But the real policies he supports are what i am interested in hearing. If he has any besides shouting at people, angry tweets, and telling us our leaders are stupid. I'm actually enjoying the show for now, it's quite fun. Im sure he has someone working or drafting his agenda as we speak. I would be interested in hearing it to see if he would go the tea party line or something more independent or that we haven't seen before.

Having said all of that, I do still support Hillary, baggage and all. I don't think Sanders could win a national election and she is probably the only DEM who can (imho).

Your step dad should also be wary of anyone or any party who would agree to shut down the govt, even if he is at the state level, shutting down the federal govt and furloughing the military and DOD set a very dangerous precedent. The Tea People had talked about doing this as early as 2010...and they got their way eventually. I don't think we have seen the last of it either. For that reason alone..fuck the GOP and the T.P.

So far, Trump has offered next to no policy positions. As they say in Texas, he's all hat and no cattle.

This is why he won't get anywhere in the long run. Even Republicans are eventually going to want real substance, real positions, and real solutions. The name calling and the bluster will have to be replaced with concrete ideas.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

What policies has Trump advocated that you support? How do you feel he would handle foreign policy? SCOTUS nominations?

This.

Basically Trump has stated he'd deport all illegals, and then somehow let the "good" ones back in.

He would bomb all the oil fields in Iraq to stop ISIS.

He would shut down the government because of a edited Planned Parenthood tape.

He has no social tact, and he's exactly like the rest of the politicians, greedy. He will do whatever is in the best interest for himself. I suppose he's different in that he's open about it.

Our system is completely broken and a joke, but he's made it into something even worse. I am entertained because I'm hoping he takes it so far, that maybe something or someone reasonable can rise from it.

Maybe he destroys the GOP as we know it, breaking off the Tea Party type into their own party, and more of the middle of the road conservatives (people like Huntsman, and the younger John McCain)

The name calling and the bluster will have to be replaced with concrete ideas.

This is exactly it. He's a media circus and nothing more. I'll give him grudging credit in having manipulated the media brilliantly by placing them on constant watch for his next soundbite, but that will no longer bear political fruit once the race gets serious.

Our system is completely broken and a joke, but he's made it into something even worse. I am entertained because I'm hoping he takes it so far, that maybe something or someone reasonable can rise from it.

What Trump is really exposing, I think, is that people don't really vote for someone anymore, they vote against the other side. Basically "anyone but a Republican" or "anyone but a Democrat" type of mentality. His greatest asset is being in many ways the ultimate anti-Democrat rather than representing anything proactive. Negative voting, you might call it. This is a very serious problem IMO.

I think the one thing Trump is exposing, and I actually applaud him for this, is that the entire system has become a complete farce; from how we choose our political candidates to the 24 hour news cycle and blogosphere, to yes, PC run amok.

So if this opens the door for some real change; for a real alternative candidate from outside of the traditional process, then I am all for it.

I just could never vote for Trump himself, as he's a twat.

America is really sick of the crony-capitalism and political correctness.
The former is a legitimate issue, though not one that Trump is going to solve. Repealing Citizens United is the best way to begin starting to deal with it.

The second one is absolute bullshit. Donald Trump isn't speaking truth to power, he's not "telling it like it is," he's not fighting political correctness. He's simply being a massive asshole. There's a rather large difference that pretty much every single Trump supporter is blind to.

Yelling "Mexicans are rapists" shouldn't be interpreted as a breath of fresh air flying in the face of crony capitalism. It's just a loud rich guy being a piece of shit on your television.

"I'm so sick of political correctness. Why can't I just be a massive cunt all the time? Fuck you Obama."

The former is a legitimate issue, though not one that Trump is going to solve. Repealing Citizens United is the best way to begin starting to deal with it.

The second one is absolute bullshit. Donald Trump isn't speaking truth to power, he's not "telling it like it is," he's not fighting political correctness. He's simply being a massive asshole. There's a rather large difference that pretty much every single Trump supporter is blind to.

Yelling "Mexicans are rapists" shouldn't be interpreted as a breath of fresh air flying in the face of crony capitalism. It's just a loud rich guy being a piece of shit on your television.

Exactly!

Trump is the last person to do anything about crony capitalism; you'd be blind to think otherwise. He benefits the most from it.

And this whole "non-pc" talk is just what I've been saying for decades, republicans just want to be able to get away with being assholes again and for them, Trump is their asshole savior.

Sanders comes far closer to "telling it like it is" without being a raging asshole at all hours.

He's laid out some strokes on Foreign Policy that I agree with
- Full support for Israel, opposition to the Iranian Deal.
- Taking an more offensive turn on ISIS (Although he says he doesn't want to telegraph his exact battle plan.)
-Using America's financial power to leverage foreign governments and regimes.
-Getting serious about patrolling the southern border and providing added security.
-Scrapping the ACA.
-Opposition to late-term abortion.
- Reducing DC central bureaucracy IE. Has singled out the Department of Education.
- His sense of urgency on curtailing the national debt before it hits 24 trillion (Which he says is the breaking point)
- Recognition that the true unemployment rate is closer to 20% with Americans out of the workforce. Thus favoring slowing immigration.

The GOP primary is really an immigration primary. That's one of the reasons he has caught on. His sense of urgency is powering him. As a litmus test with primary voters he passes the test. And Cruz is squeaky clean with the exception of increasing H1-B tech Visas. That has led to massive foreign replacements in the IT field. From Disney to California power companies this issue has been making headlines.

The latest NBC poll (post debate) has Trump 23% and Cruz second at 13%.

Many of the forum users think he jumped the shark on his Mexican comments. If that disqualifies him in your eyes so be it. But right now he has fed the red meat to the GOP voters who view this primary as a referendum on 'immigration'

He didn't jump the shark on his Mexican comments, because that implies he was a rational option in the first place. He says offensive shit all the time. The only people who like that are people who also hold offensive worldviews.

And the idea that he's not a crony capitalist is fucking hysterical. He's a dirtbag rich capitalist all the way. His White House would be focused on improving things for the rich and only the rich.

If Trump can't answer how many dead civilians he'll deliver in Iraq, he's not to be taken seriously. This is important stuff, guys.

If Trump can't answer how many dead civilians he'll deliver in Iraq, he's not to be taken seriously. This is important stuff, guys.

Well ISIS makes videos of dead civilians weekly. It's like a horror movie. 19 women the other for refusing to participate in Sexual Jihad. And the latest video from one of their branches in Afghanistan basically blowing up 12 people.

I'm for a serious air campaign against ISIS. We do make strikes. But on average it is about 7 a day. During the Kosovo War we hit the Serbs 138 times a day.

He's laid out some strokes on Foreign Policy that I agree with

- Full support for Israel

-Using America's financial power to leverage foreign governments and regimes.

-Getting serious about patrolling the southern border and providing added security.

-Scrapping the ACA.
-That means nothing, that's not policy.
-So what we've been doing?
-So spending more money? If he deports everyone and does everything he's said when it comes to Mexico then we'll have another Iraq on our hands spending-wise without the payout to Halliburton or access to oil.
-Empty talk. When will you figure this out, how many repeal attempts have there been? It's embarrassing. This is not policy, just red meat for the uninformed.

Many of the forum users think he jumped the shark on his Mexican comments. If that disqualifies him in your eyes so be it. But right now he has fed the red meat to the GOP voters who view this primary as a referendum on 'immigration'

I think the fact that you're enjoying that red meat says more about you and his supporters in general.

And the idea that he's not a crony capitalist is fucking hysterical. He's a dirtbag rich capitalist all the way. His White House would be focused on improving things for the rich and only the rich.

He's hardly alone in that regard.

I'm interested to hear about his intended number of drone strikes.

Well ISIS makes videos of dead civilians weekly. It's like a horror movie. 19 women the other for refusing to participate in Sexual Jihad. And the latest video from one of their branches in Afghanistan basically blowing up 12 people.

I'm for a serious air campaign against ISIS. We do make strikes. But on average it is about 7 a day. During the Kosovo War we hit the Serbs 138 times a day.

You've done enough in the Middle East already, you can't possibly believe that more US intervention will improve the situation.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? How is opposing yet another US intervention in the region the same as wanting to let 'ISIS fester like a cancer?'

You said the US shouldn't tinker in the Middle East. So its that or you're counting on another regional power to take them out.

Neither. Although it would be at least a relief if Turkey would stop trying to decimate more or less the only force currently successful in fighting ISIS, in addition to Turkey having ties to members of ISIS themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom