2012 US Presidential Election Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The next one I would add to that list as a possibility is VA, small plus for Obama is if V Goode can take some conservatives from Romney

then if the home state favorite son Libertarian candidate Johnson, can get votes from supporters of the ballot measure to legalize pot in Colo, well he could take from Obama and flip to Romney

Keep in mind that in 2000 the election was decided by a less than 600 vote difference in Florida. That's only a few people saying that one vote won't make a difference. :)

is that really true?

didn't they stop the recount in process?

so he did not win by that amount. It's like a ref stop a game before the time ran out and declared the team slightly ahead the winner.

I suppose a left leaning court could have stopped it when Gore was ahead in the one state of FL along with the whole country, Not much controvrsary there. Especially since it would have matched the exit polling for FL.

But, back to the point at hand, votes matter especially in a closs race where one side could game the system. And in this election the GOP is way better positioned to game the system. So for sanity sake I hope the margin is at a size that when they bring the refs and the chain gang in, the ball has landed and was spotted a good foot from the yard line and not with in a 1/4 inch where a bad spot of ref call could flip the call.

If either side pushes just a little bit harder, 4-5 inches the other way. A 1/2 inch bad spot or call won't matter.

Exactly.

I am about to go vote in VA (likely for the last time, we'll probably move back into DC itself in the next few months) and I really do feel like my vote counts.

It's very energizing. Was hard to sleep last night.

Vote for third parties all you want. But don't be surprised when you get blamed for 2000. At least defend that rather than pass it off on something else. Just let us know that it was more important to try to get a candidate to 5% of the vote than it was to prevent the worst president in all our lifetimes to win the office in 2000.

At least own that.
When i think of the many more people probably would bebecome jobless/or watch their wages plummet, homeless, go hungry, get sick/er, die sooner..... under Romney/Ryan...
:|:| :sad: :|:|

I want to scream! And shake some sense into my fellow progressives voting for third party candidate.

Most of the would be affected people would be unwilling sacrifices/"martyrs" to your insistence.

"their lives are bigger, than any big idea"

Yes. If you don't have a problem with what happened in the 8 years under Bush. You do have to think about that.

I always think my vote counts. Especially as a woman. We had to work to even have the right to vote. I never take that for granted.

amen :hi5:

When Clinton was elected i listened to right-wing radio (or public radio- didn't find liberal talkers unto a few years in)...there were radical Republicans who were demanding that the vote be taken away from Women (The Handmaiden's Tale) because Clinton was "too feminine" b/c he cared about Education, Health, etc issues.

You'll like this story>

for Clinton/Gore first run.....
there was a big rally in The Village NYC Washington Sq Park

But there was a March to get there first... to commemorate the ?75 or so Aniversary of Women's Right To Vote! (oh getting teary eyed here- no shame in that :) )

oh it was a great march! There were people had there windows open , people standing on there firescapes, or big ledges clapping, holding supportive signs etc!

Obama wins. Bono has spoken.

29uybes.jpg

15p6gwy.jpg

Been in line for over half an hour so far.

Lots of professional under 40s in line.

It's such a crock that voting is on a Tuesday. People have to get to work. I'm glad I have some flexibility but I can see why some people -- particularly the poor, working 2 jobs and likely harder than most of us -- might just say, "fuggit."

Memphis brought me a scone. That was nice.

i know i'd like to see either a federal holiday or voting or at least a 2-day vote preferably on the weekend (i think it would cover the most number of voters).

enjoy your scone

No I got the point you were making . They should vote. It's corny and people will roll their eyes- but people in other countries would love to have the elections that we do. As messed up as politics are here. I still remember those purple/blue fingers in Iraq.

And a 14 year old girl was shot in the head by the Taliban for daring to speak out about education for girls. For me personally, that kills me and makes me appreciate my rights even more.

:sad: oh god yeah.....

and most of that country ( ?Pakhastan ><sp>) was OUTRAGED!

29uybes.jpg

15p6gwy.jpg

This is an interesting observation. I too made an observation very recently. For those FYMers that have been around long enough have you noticed no influx of Republicans posters? I was waiting for it this year, but nothing. :| We all know that FYM normally leans left, but around election time there is usually an influx of very vocal Republicans that come out of nowhere, then disappear or in some cases get banned because they were abusive trolls. Some were everyday Interference posters that never ventured into FYM, some signed on just to post in FYM, and some I suspect were alters. But not even one this year? :hmm:

This is an interesting observation. I too made an observation very recently. For those FYMers that have been around long enough have you noticed no influx of Republicans posters? I was waiting for it this year, but nothing. :| We all know that FYM normally leans left, but around election time there is usually an influx of very vocal Republicans that come out of nowhere, then disappear or in some cases get banned because they were abusive trolls. Some were everyday Interference posters that never ventured into FYM, some signed on just to post in FYM, and some I suspect were alters. But not even one this year? :hmm:

Maybe our left-leaning rhetoric scared them off, and they thought "fuck it, no use arguing with them". :shrug:

There are some Republican posters I miss and wish they would come back.

I like nbcrusader, he was a very nice guy. I saw him logged in a few times this year but he never posted.

That was his name, that was the one I was referring to! I knew it was "crusader" but forgot the rest of his name.

Yeah, he was a nice guy. I didn't always agree with him, but he never caused any problems here. It would be nice to have him back.

29uybes.jpg

15p6gwy.jpg

omg LOL!
that's soooofunny

Hmmmm... we need a Quantum-Flow Scientist in here to explain this!

Oh...wait.....

....and look who's here! *waves*

*Edge steps into FYM and waves*

*rippling waves of wildy edges colors form a space void-black hole in front of us. We peer in and see the past. A recording studio appears, and so does U2*

:edge: Stop, guys!
*the band startles and puts their instruments /microphone down*
:bono::adam::larry: Whaaaa...huh? wtf?
:edge: we can't release this now!
:bono::adam::larry: #@$@^ bloody hell! foock

*The Edge rolls out vivid charts showing various lines of
USA voter turnouts

:edge: See this, this, this and that! (pointer finger hits a particular spot the chart) I'ver been able to super upgrade, and fine tune my computers ..... I've got it... it's fucking weird, astonishing....
*Larry rolls eyes*
*Adam nudges Larryand whispers* Psst - you should know better!
*Adam & Bono lean foward*

:edge: We...WE are now the deciding factor in the USA Presidential Election!!!

*more colorful metaphors ensure! The guys follow Edge's
finger going through each graph-line and explainations. Slowly each pair of incredulous, doubting eyes begin to light up in comprehension!

*Still moar colorful metaphors abound. But this time they are of the "aha!" kind.*

The Ede turns to his bandmates....Do you all agree then on what we have to do?

*The rest of the band nods solemnly, which a chuckle*

Well, you know, apparently despite disagreeing with many things Republican, as a Libertarian I'm just someone who doesn't want to admit they're a Republican.

Apparently :wink:

I'm hearing reports now that many members of the GOP are blaming Hurricane Sandy for being too liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom