2012 US Presidential Election Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been saying for sometime now, Ohio is the firewall, Obama wins that he is safe, yes he could lose and still win, but losing Ohio suggest he is losing a key domograghic

this really needed to go in the GOP nominee thread

30Reasons_Oliver-Munday_BG-4cb2f41b2287add6c5457a08544f0403.jpg

Kieran McConville said:
Think of the Australian system as the Congress and Senate, where the majority leader in Congress runs the government, and the President is a powerless figurehead who opens flower shows. And you've about got the picture.

This would mean tha John Boehner would be our prime minister. And before that would have been Nancy Pelosi.

Latest CNN poll on Ohio:

BREAKING: New CNN-ORC Ohio poll of likely voters. Obama 50%, Romney 46%. +/- 3.5%. Party ID: D-35%, I-33%, R-32%.

Even taking into account the extra Dems, it's not looking good for Romney.

Yeah. And you've gotta think that Obama will at least win 2 of the other swing states.

Pearl said:
Because of Hurricane Sandy - alias Frankenstorm - it is expected that there will be power outages all over the NYC area, and elsewhere, that would last probably past Election Day. Can you imagine how this will play out and effect the results? Will we have to wait days before we know the results?

We may be in for a wild ride. :|

Hopefully it won't last that long. No power here for a week last year in that Oct snowstorm , but I never lost power during Irene. This will be a longer duration storm so even if the wind isn't as bad the damage could be worse. I keep hoping and praying that it will end up being overhyped. Hopefully the power companies have their act together this year more than they did last year.

I will vote no matter what, if I have to walk there and even if there's no power. And we have old fashioned fill in the circles paper ballots.

good, if your state is a toss up

they can do a re-count

here is a list, any toss up states on it?

States That Use Direct Recording Electronic Voting Systems and Do Not Require Voter Verified Paper Audit Trails

These states employ Direct Recording Electronic Method in their voting systems and do not require a Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail when conducting elections[6]..

Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
New Jersey
Ohio
Pennsylvania

South Carolina
Texas
Virginia

States That Use Direct Recording Electronic Voting Systems and Have Optional Voter Verified Paper Audit Trails

These states employ Direct Recording Electronic Method in their voting systems and have an option varying by precinct if they want to use Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail when conducting elections[7]..

Arkansas
Colorado
Kansas
Mississippi

some of those may have close senate and house races too

how dose one do a re-count?

could a snag in the software give a wrong tally?

The state that Romney was governor of will not go for him. I don't think Obama will get a huge win but it will be significant. It won't be close. I'd be surprised. Post Scott Brown anything is possible though.

Because of Hurricane Sandy - alias Frankenstorm - it is expected that there will be power outages all over the NYC area, and elsewhere, that would last probably past Election Day. Can you imagine how this will play out and effect the results? Will we have to wait days before we know the results?

We may be in for a wild ride. :|

Oyyyyyyyyyy, dear god, I hope that doesn't happen.

Think of the Australian system as the Congress and Senate, where the majority leader in Congress runs the government, and the President is a powerless figurehead who opens flower shows. And you've about got the picture.

Hell, some days, I'm certain that's how things are actually being run in our government now.

General impression I've gotten so far from everyone who I know that voted Obama last election seems to be voting Romney, for the swing voters, that is.

Swing voters are fun.

I love how that guy says the ad makes young women look helpless and sex obsessed. But right wing obsessing over women's sex lives and uteri and vaginas and calling them sluts for wanting subsidized birth control and all of that doesn't make women look helpless and sex obsessed. Gotcha. I'm not in the target market for the ad and I don't have HBO so I've never seen the show. It does seem kind of silly and condescending :shrug: . It's getting attention so that's the point, I guess.

yahoo.com

Your first time should be "amazing." That's what "Girls" creator Lena Dunham has to say to virgin -- voters.

In her controversial new Obama ad, "Your First Time," the actress who mocked herself as "a voice for a generation" in her show, has some advice for the first-time voter: When the time comes… to vote, it's "super uncool" to say you weren't ready.

Dunham says in her monologue, sounding very much like her twenty-something, relationship-obsessed TV show character,

Your first time shouldn't be with just anybody. You want to do it with a great guy…Someone who cares about and understands women. A guy who cares about whether you get health care insurance, specifically, whether you get birth control.

The consequences are huge. You want to do it with a guy who brought the troops out of Iraq. You don't want a guy who says, 'Oh hey, I'm at the library studying,' when really he's out not signing the Lilly Ledbetter Act.

Not everyone was so taken with the sex joke in the ad. The Right Scoop called the ad "Disgusting."

John Nolte, an editor at Breitbart agreed, accusing the Obama campaign as seeing young women as "helpless and sex-obsessed."

Clearly, the ad is targeting a specific audience, and most likely that group is not right-wing bloggers. But with over 275,000 views on YouTube, Dunham's message seems to be resonating.

As the HBO show creator sums up the situation, "My first time voting was amazing. It was this line in the sand. Before I was a girl, then I was a woman."

Lena Dunham: Your First Time - YouTube

Huffington Post

Colin Powell's former chief of staff condemned the Republican Party on Friday night, telling MSNBC's Ed Schultz, "My party is full of racists."

Retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson made the comment in response to Mitt Romney campaign surrogate John Sununu's suggestion on Thursday that Powell's endorsement of President Barack Obama's re-election was motivated by race. Wilkerson, who served as Powell's chief of staff when the general was secretary of state during the first George W. Bush term, told Schultz that he respected Sununu "as a Republican, as a member of my party," but did not "have any respect for the integrity of the position that [Sununu] seemed to codify."

When asked by Schultz what, if anything, the remark said about the attitudes of the Republican Party, Wilkerson said:

My party, unfortunately, is the bastion of those people -- not all of them, but most of them -- who are still basing their positions on race. Let me just be candid: My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable.

The retired colonel also said that "to say that Colin Powell would endorse President Obama because of his skin color is like saying Mother Theresa worked for profit."

Powell, a Republican, endorsed Obama for the second time on Thursday morning -- he also backed the president in 2008 -- saying on CBS' "This Morning" that he was "more comfortable with President Obama and his administration" than with Romney on a host of issues.

Sununu, no stranger to incendiary rhetoric this election cycle, reacted to the endorsement on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight," saying that "when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder whether that's an endorsement based on issues or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama."

Obama himself dismissed Sununu's suggestion on Friday, telling radio host Michael Smerconish:

Any suggestion that Gen. Powell would make such a profound statement in such an important election based on anything but what he thought was what's going to be best for America doesn't make much sense.

Sununu backed off his remarks shortly after his CNN appearance, issuing a statement that said Powell is a friend and, “I respect the endorsement decision he made, and I do not doubt that it was based on anything but his support of the President’s policies."

deep said:
what would you recommend? pulling names out of a hat?

Seriously?

For starts, how about partitioning the delegates such that a whole state isn't necessarily red or blue...

That was thought up on the spot, please don't pretend like there aren't a ton of ways to make the current electoral college better.

how is something like that much better than what we have now

I would go with a popular vote, perhaps weighted, so the winner would have to go over 50%, in 2000 if Gore/ Bush did not get 50% the 3 rd party candidates voters 2nd choice would be counted

also, every vote cast should require a thumbprint, this is required to get a drivers license or state i ds here in CA, we don't have dead people getting licenses, or dogs, or illegals, or people getting multiples

the thumb print portion of the ballot could be detached before the vote is tabulated to protect the 'secret' ballot,

also, every vote cast should require a thumbprint, this is required to get a drivers license or state i ds here in CA, we don't have dead people getting licenses, or dogs, or illegals, or people getting multiples

What do they do if someone doesn't have thumbs?

at the DMV, I am sure they have a program, perhaps the left hand or other digits. If they lost both hands, I imagine a signed affidavit and thumb print from a witness

on the voting, with mail, we don't want someone working at a retirement home voting for 10 passed on residents, if they had to give a thumb print for it to be counted, and the person was dead, you would have them on voter fraud, (hands down)

Huffington Post

Colin Powell's former chief of staff condemned the Republican Party on Friday night, telling MSNBC's Ed Schultz, "My party is full of racists."

Retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson made the comment in response to Mitt Romney campaign surrogate John Sununu's suggestion on Thursday that Powell's endorsement of President Barack Obama's re-election was motivated by race. Wilkerson, who served as Powell's chief of staff when the general was secretary of state during the first George W. Bush term, told Schultz that he respected Sununu "as a Republican, as a member of my party," but did not "have any respect for the integrity of the position that [Sununu] seemed to codify."

When asked by Schultz what, if anything, the remark said about the attitudes of the Republican Party, Wilkerson said:

My party, unfortunately, is the bastion of those people -- not all of them, but most of them -- who are still basing their positions on race. Let me just be candid: My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable.

The retired colonel also said that "to say that Colin Powell would endorse President Obama because of his skin color is like saying Mother Theresa worked for profit."

Powell, a Republican, endorsed Obama for the second time on Thursday morning -- he also backed the president in 2008 -- saying on CBS' "This Morning" that he was "more comfortable with President Obama and his administration" than with Romney on a host of issues.

Sununu, no stranger to incendiary rhetoric this election cycle, reacted to the endorsement on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight," saying that "when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder whether that's an endorsement based on issues or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama."

Obama himself dismissed Sununu's suggestion on Friday, telling radio host Michael Smerconish:

Any suggestion that Gen. Powell would make such a profound statement in such an important election based on anything but what he thought was what's going to be best for America doesn't make much sense.

Sununu backed off his remarks shortly after his CNN appearance, issuing a statement that said Powell is a friend and, “I respect the endorsement decision he made, and I do not doubt that it was based on anything but his support of the President’s policies."

I saw this happen yesterday on Ed's show. He was quite heated when he made this statement, and I was surprised he was so candid. You should have seen the tweets coming across to Ed's show during the broadcast rolling at the bottom of the screen! Quite a few people were applauding his candor.
I know Ed is of the inflamatory type journalistically and usually he turns me off because he just gets all puffed up and has a very big ego, but he has been doing some great work for the working class of this country! Last week he did his show LIVE from in front of the Sensata plant in Free/Bainport and interviewed the workers there who set up camp in protest. Yep, they even had to take down the American flag at the plant while the Chinese workers were there being trained to do their jobs. But that's another story...

there is a chance, (some say real, some say very small) that Obama could clock in at 290 + electoral votes and

lose the national popular vote, I do have to say, I (kind of) hope it happens.

Not everyone was so taken with the sex joke in the ad. The Right Scoop called the ad "Disgusting."

I'm hoping, then, that they also find Akin and Mourdock and Walsh's comments just as disgusting, if not more so. Right?

By the way, remember how the right demanded that Obama distance himself from the Reverend Wright thing, and how we needed to be suspicious of his "association" with Bill Ayers, and all that?

Well, Romney so far isn't distancing himself from Mourdock-he "doesn't agree with his comments", but he still endorses the guy. And funny thing, I am not hearing a peep of complaint from the right about that. Hm. Am I crazy to think they should be equally as demanding in asking him to distance himself from that guy as they are with Obama and the people he supposedly "supported" or "associated with" or whatever?

But with over 275,000 views on YouTube, Dunham's message seems to be resonating.

I hope so. Between that and the above comments from Wilkerson about his party (and WOW. That is some of the most blunt condemnation of a party from one of its members that I've seen in a while), I am really hoping this is going to wake America up to just how messed up the GOP has become.

Yes, the Democrats are far from perfect. They have their problems, too, no doubt. But they also don't have an Akin or Mourdock popping up every other week with some batshit crazy comment about women, and they didn't come up with the birther crap. That was ALL the GOP's doing. The party has a serious problem with how it treats women and minorities. Its supporters need to recognize this fact, and if the GOP doesn't want to lose any more voters*, it desperately needs to address and fix that issue. Now.

*and they also should address and fix it because no party in this day and age should have people in it that are saying and believing such bizarre, blatantly false things. These are not the sorts of people who should be allowed to be running a country.

"I can tell you it only hurts for a minute and then it feels just great,”

is that offensive? someone used that line once to describe voting for a member of the opposition?

By the way, remember how the right demanded that Obama distance himself from the Reverend Wright thing, and how we needed to be suspicious of his "association" with Bill Ayers, and all that?

Well, Romney so far isn't distancing himself from Mourdock-he "doesn't agree with his comments", but he still endorses the guy. And funny thing, I am not hearing a peep of complaint from the right about that. Hm. Am I crazy to think they should be equally as demanding in asking him to distance himself from that guy as they are with Obama and the people he supposedly "supported" or "associated with" or whatever?

Are we really going to sit here and compare a congressman who made an idiotic statement, to an ex-domestic terrorist?

The "idiotic statement" in question concerns a very real issue of rape and its effects on women. Someone who thinks the way he does, in a position of power, can make life very difficult for women who have been the victims of such a horrific crime.

I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty scary to me. Especially given he's clearly not the only one in his party who seems to think that way.

Between Ayers and Mourdock, the latter would have more immediate impact and power over what happens in politics right now. So yeah, while I'm certainly not supportive of whatever Ayers was once involved in (nor was Obama, I would add-running into someone at an event once does not an endorsement make. Romney on the other hand actively came out in support of Mourdock), I also don't think this guy deserves any support or endorsements, either, from anyone.

The main point I'm making is that the GOP is always so quick to demand that any other group or person-Muslims, liberals, Democrats, Obama-must distance themselves from and apologize for any radical or ignorant beliefs or actions anyone on their side states aloud or does. All I'm saying is that if that's the case, fine, I'm all for that. But then they should be doing the same thing when people in their own party say and do their own number of radical or ignorant things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom