2012 US Presidential Election Superthread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #91
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
That's a New York Times thing, not a Nate Silver thing. They title everyone. A story about fucking Snooki would refer to her as Ms. Polizzi.
That's just weird.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #92
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
The Economist always refers to people as Ms/Ms Whatever too. And for that reason, probably, it was pretty common amongst the high school speech and debate community when I communicated, at least in Texas, because everyone reads The Economist. But I always somewhat associated it with British English. I think the BBC tends to use it as well.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 AM
There 's some talk of delaying the election. Congress can do that.

I am SO grateful to have made it through the storm. It really gives you perspective and empathy for other people who have suffered far worse.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:15 AM
MrsS

I would be surprised if the election is delayed. It may happen because many in Sandy's path could care less about voting next week.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I don't think what I said is ridiculous at all. Because you are calling what Mourdock said an "off-hand comment", says to me that you don't understand the severity of what he said. To say "off-hand" means that Mourdock didn't think before speaking, which is highly doubtful. To say "comment" is not true because Mourdock was in the position of making a statement.

I hope you realize that many women in this country are worried and even fearful of what will happen if Romney wins and/or the GOP takes over Congress. We are nervous over what will happen to our reproductive rights, which is in the hands of many politicians who clearly are ignorant not only of our bodies, but what we go through each and every day.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Silver is really hedging, if Silver is all you got, it ain't much

Quote:
Silver cautions against confusing prediction with prophecy. "If the Giants lead the Redskins 24-21 in the fourth quarter, it's a close game that either team could win. But it's also not a "toss-up": The Giants are favored. It's the same principle here: Obama is ahead in the polling averages in states like Ohio that would suffice for him to win the Electoral College. Hence, he's the favorite," Silver said.

For all the confidence Silver puts in his predictions, he often gives the impression of hedging. Which, given all the variables involved in a presidential election, isn't surprising. For this reason and others — and this may shock the coffee-drinking NPR types of Seattle, San Francisco and Madison, Wis. — more than a few political pundits and reporters, including some of his own colleagues, believe Silver is highly overrated.

"If you tell me you think you can quantify an event that is about to happen that you don`t expect, like the 47 percent comment or a debate performance, I think you think you are a wizard. That`s not possible," Times columnist David Brooks, a moderate conservative, said on PBS earlier this month. "The pollsters tell us what`s happening now. When they start projecting, they`re getting into silly land."
Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

deep, did you see who wrote that article and where it came from and then read the comments at the end? i notice you didn't provide a link.

because that article utterly and totally misses Silver's point.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

I posted that at my office, now I'm at home

this might be a link to the article

Nate Silver: One-term celebrity? - POLITICO.com

different pollsters, have different success rates at different times, I think.

I got into a conversation with a woman I work with yesterday about the outcome of the election. She first wanted to clarify that I was 'for Obama'. We had a conversation a few weeks back and she got very upset because she did not like what I said my observations were.
I told her yes, I am for Obama, and I know she is for Romney but that did not matter. I was just going to say what I thought the outcome of this election would be based on my observations of reading multiple sources and following these elections as closely as I have from the 1980 election on. What I personally want to happen has no real effect on the outcome.

I am one that thinks the way Silver is doing his handicapping of this election may lead him to be one of the more optimistic Obama win predictors. I think his margin will be less accurate than previous elections.

I still believe this election is very close, if momentum and swing voter trends determine this election, this may be the 4th quarter with a score of 27-24 Obama, but Romney has the ball and he is making good progress for a 6 point touch down.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't think anyone is disputing that this election is close. We all know it essentially comes down to Ohio. That said, seeing the data, my gut feeling is Obama will win.

Oh and I'd like to thank Bill Clinton for mentioning Climate Change. It's about time someone did.

After Sandy, Bill Clinton rails against Romney on global warming - CBS News
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

I think this map will reflect the outcome with one change for sure, and then......

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map No Toss Ups

Colorado will go for Romney, that puts Obama at 281

and with that, again, and I (with others) have been saying this for weeks, it is only about Ohio, I don't have a good feeling about how Ohio will end up, I think the GOP has a huge advantage in how the votes will be counted and tallied. We may end up in court, just like 2000, but the GOP, are better positioned to take this one.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post

Oh and I'd like to thank Bill Clinton for mentioning Climate Change. It's about time someone did.

After Sandy, Bill Clinton rails against Romney on global warming - CBS News

What bothers me is that despite Sandy, Irene and the recent blizzards, there are still climate change deniers who insist it is nothing but lies. Everything is a conspiracy these days.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

When one chooses not to care, it's one thing.

But when one chooses to deny the existence of global warming, it's ignorance.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

there have always been doubters and deniers

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:15 AM

I wonder if global warming was a hot topic in the 1888 presidential race between Glover Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison?

How does the 2009 hurricane season fit into "the conspiracy"?

Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #105
45:33

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl

What bothers me is that despite Sandy, Irene and the recent blizzards, there are still climate change deniers who insist it is nothing but lies. Everything is a conspiracy these days.
My favourite is all the right-wing journos and voters who seem to think they know more than scientists who study the shit for a living.

But hey, they're also the same people who murdered all those Italians by causing an earthquake, so who knows.