2012 US Presidential Election Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know how "harsh" that really is

Huffington Post

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) leveled harsh criticism against members of her own party during an appearance on CNN on Thursday.

"We had Republican candidates who got very high profile and said some very stupid things," she said. "I think that really tainted the party."

The remarks come on the heels of Republicans losing seats in the Senate in the 2012 election and President Barack Obama securing another term in the White House.. ....................

Hutchison said that "even though Mitt Romney came right out and said, 'This is not right, we disagree with this,'" the damage to the GOP had been done. She explained, "The party leadership did the same thing. No one embraced Todd Akin after he said those things, including the Republican campaign committees, but it was used in the political sense against us and it was, I think, the feeling that Republicans don’t get it."......................

Ted Nugent Goes On Twitter Tirade Against ‘Pimps, Whores, And Welfare Brats’ Who Voted For President Obama

As in really stupid, OR as in really stupid enough to have let their true thoughts/feelings appear.

ah the Nuge is is a happy camper right now----

not!

schadenfreude!!! :lol:

i think it's great.

and maybe this is my own progressive mind talking, but i don't see how this is the equivalent of right wing media and Fox News.

yes, obviously Maddow is left and obviously she's happy her side won. but does this sound like the flip side of "some people just want stuff" nasty, bitter resignation demonstrated by O'Reilly on Fox?

this seems like an appeal to reason and a way of saying that there's a reason we have disagreements and no one is helped by a political party that doesn't believe in rape, birth certificates, polls, or the existence of Latinos.

Eric Dondero is kinda pissed.

He wants his followers to disown their liberal friends and family. He also plans on boycotting Democrat owned businesses and protesting places that accept EBT. :coocoo:

Libertarian Republican: The end of liberty in America: Only course of action now is to fight back, electoral politics not working

So New York Magazine saw this and quizzed him on hypotheticals. The result was amusing and chilling.

Eric Dondero on Boycotting Democrats -- Daily Intel

Just judging by the batshit insanity of those two links (surely a parody?!), I figure this is a win for everybody he knows who's a Democrat.

Just judging by the batshit insanity of those two links (surely a parody?!), I figure this is a win for everybody he knows who's a Democrat.

Yeah, if I were his friend or relative, I'd be glad to be rid of him.

Oh and in other news Rush Limbaugh remains a racist windbag.

He claims Cubans aren't popular with other Hispanics because they are light skinned and "work oriented".

Because I know SOOOOO many lazy Mexicans. :rolleyes:

Rush: Cubans Aren't "Popular In The Overall Hispanic Group" Because They're Not "As Dark" And Are "Oriented Toward Work" | Video | Media Matters for America

unfortunately it seems not Axver

he was an aid to Ron Paul
he was fired (haven't read why yet)

Eric Dondero

From Ballotpedi:

Eric Dondero Rittberg, also known as Eric Dondero, is a libertarian, a blogger and a well-known initiative circulator. Dondero publishes the Mainstream Libertarian online news website.
Dondero has been described as "the Matt Drudge of Libertarian politics." He is the founder of the Republican Liberty Caucus, co-Founder of "Libertarians for Bush" in 2004 and "Draft Sarah Palin for VP" in 2008. Dondero is a former Libertarian Party National Committeeman, served as travel aide to Ron Paul during his 1987-88 campaign for President, organizer of Draft Ron Paul for President in 1991-92, congressional campaign coordination in 1995 and was Senior Aide to Paul from 1997-2003. He currently works as a petition consultant.[1][2]

Dondero is a certified Spanish interpreter and fluent in Italian, French and Portuguese. He is the author of "Worldwide Multilingual Phrase Book" and "Vacation Spanish."

alsdo saw some Ggl links about othe Libertarians disavowing him.....

Rush - what a miserable human being :|

i wouldn't be suprised if there were darker Cubans but maybe he hasn't met any!

Since Latinos are a variety of nationalities and of various often of mixed racial heritages...white/black/native american......

Rush - what a miserable human being :|

i wouldn't be suprised if there were darker Cubans but maybe he hasn't met any!

Since Latinos are a variety of nationalities and of various often of mixed racial heritages...white/black/native american......

A close friend is Cuban and black. Hispanics, including Cubans, come in every color.

Oh and in other news Rush Limbaugh remains a racist windbag.

He claims Cubans aren't popular with other Hispanics because they are light skinned and "work oriented".

Because I know SOOOOO many lazy Mexicans. :rolleyes:

yeah, really!

:hmm: a good karmic experience for Rushbo... to be reicarnated as a
African-American in Mississippi in the 1950's!

OR if he has said things like this just to get rich......

then he should burn in hell for stirring up real racists to even more harrowing levels of vitriol and action planning... ugh

A close friend is Cuban and black. Hispanics, including Cubans, come in every color.

Yes. Being born & bred in nyc between living in a vierty of mixed ethnic & racial neighborhoods and various types of jobs my Latino/Latina neighbors, freinds, aquaintences, co-workers, bosses etc have run practically the whole range of color.

here we go :this was from CBS news via Buzzflash

Adviser: Romney "shellshocked" by loss

BOSTON, Mass. Mitt Romney's campaign got its first hint something was wrong on the afternoon of Election Day, when state campaign workers on the ground began reporting huge turnout in areas favorable to President Obama: northeastern Ohio, northern Virginia, central Florida and Miami-Dade.

Then came the early exit polls that also were favorable to the president.

But it wasn't until the polls closed that concern turned into alarm. They expected North Carolina to be called early. It wasn't. They expected Pennsylvania to be up in the air all night; it went early for the President.

After Ohio went for Mr. Obama, it was over, but senior advisers say no one could process it.

"We went into the evening confident we had a good path to victory," said one senior adviser. "I don't think there was one person who saw this coming."

They just couldn't believe they had been so wrong. And maybe they weren't: There was Karl Rove on Fox saying Ohio wasn't settled, so campaign aides decided to wait. They didn't want to have to withdraw their concession, like Al Gore did in 2000, and they thought maybe the suburbs of Columbus and Cincinnati, which hadn't been reported, could make a difference.

Big GOP donors see small return on investment
2012 Election results
But then came Colorado for the president and Florida also was looking tougher than anyone had imagined.

"We just felt, 'where's our path?'" said a senior adviser. "There wasn't one."

Romney then said what they knew: it was over.

His personal assistant, Garrett Jackson, called his counterpart on Mr. Obama's staff, Marvin Nicholson. "Is your boss available?" Jackson asked.

Romney was stoic as he talked to the president, an aide said, but his wife Ann cried. Running mate Paul Ryan seemed genuinely shocked, the adviser said. Ryan's wife Janna also was shaken and cried softly.

"There's nothing worse than when you think you're going to win, and you don't," said another adviser. "It was like a sucker punch."

Their emotion was visible on their faces when they walked on stage after Romney finished his remarks, which Romney had hastily composed, knowing he had to say something.

Both wives looked stricken, and Ryan himself seemed grim. They all were thrust on that stage without understanding what had just happened.

"He was shellshocked," one adviser said of Romney.

Romney and his campaign had gone into the evening confident they had a good path to victory, for emotional and intellectual reasons. The huge and enthusiastic crowds in swing state after swing state in recent weeks - not only for Romney but also for Paul Ryan - bolstered what they believed intellectually: that Obama would not get the kind of turnout he had in 2008.

They thought intensity and enthusiasm were on their side this time - poll after poll showed Republicans were more motivated to vote than Democrats - and that would translate into votes for Romney.

As a result, they believed the public/media polls were skewed - they thought those polls oversampled Democrats and didn't reflect Republican enthusiasm. They based their own internal polls on turnout levels more favorable to Romney. That was a grave miscalculation, as they would see on election night.

Those assumptions drove their campaign strategy: their internal polling showed them leading in key states, so they decided to make a play for a broad victory: go to places like Pennsylvania while also playing it safe in the last two weeks.

Those assessments were wrong.

They made three key miscalculations, in part because this race bucked historical trends:

1. They misread turnout. They expected it to be between 2004 and 2008 levels, with a plus-2 or plus-3 Democratic electorate, instead of plus-7 as it was in 2008. Their assumptions were wrong on both sides: The president's base turned out and Romney's did not. More African-Americans voted in Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida than in 2008. And fewer Republicans did: Romney got just over 2 million fewer votes than John McCain.

2. Independents. State polls showed Romney winning big among independents. Historically, any candidate polling that well among independents wins. But as it turned out, many of those independents were former Republicans who now self-identify as independents. The state polls weren't oversampling Democrats and undersampling Republicans - there just weren't as many Republicans this time because they were calling themselves independents.

3. Undecided voters. The perception is they always break for the challenger, since people know the incumbent and would have decided already if they were backing him. Romney was counting on that trend to continue. Instead, exit polls show Mr. Obama won among people who made up their minds on Election Day and in the few days before the election. So maybe Romney, after running for six years, was in the same position as the incumbent.

The campaign before the election had expressed confidence in its calculations, and insisted the Obama campaign, with its own confidence and a completely different analysis, was wrong. In the end, it the other way around.

"They were right," a Romney campaign senior adviser said of the Obama campaign's assessments. "And if they were right, we lose."

some people have speculated that because Romney was called a miricle child by his mother that on some level he really did believe he was
"The White Horse"

both quotes are from wikipedia

The couple longed for another child, but doctors told them that Lenore probably could not become pregnant again and might not survive if she did. By 1946, they had begun the process of adopting a war orphan living in Switzerland. However, Lenore became pregnant, and after a difficult pregnancy – lying still on her back for a month in hospital during one stretch – and delivery, Willard Mitt (known as Mitt) was born in 1947.After the birth she required a hysterectomy. Lenore would subsequently refer to Mitt as her miracle baby.

Joseph Smith, Jr., first leader of the Latter-day Saints (Mormons) and purported source of the White Horse Prophecy.
The White Horse Prophecy is a statement purported to have been made in 1843 by Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, regarding the future of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) and the United States of America. The Latter Day Saints, according to the prophecy, would "go to the Rocky Mountains and ... be a great and mighty people", identified figuratively with the White Horse described in the Revelation of John. The prophecy further predicts that the United States Constitution will one day "hang like a thread" and will be saved "by the efforts of the White Horse".

Some have speculated, on the basis of the White Horse Prophecy, that Mormons expect the United States to eventually become a theocracy dominated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The authenticity of the prophecy as a whole, which was not made public until long after Smith's death, is debated, and the leadership of the LDS Church has stated that "the so-called 'White Horse Prophecy' ... is not embraced as Church doctrine." However, the belief that members of the LDS Church will one day need to take action to save the imperiled US Constitution has been attributed to Smith in several sources and has been discussed in an approving fashion by Brigham Young and other LDS leaders.

Several famous Mormons have made statements related to the White Horse Prophecy. For instance, former US presidential candidate Mitt Romney has said he considers the White Horse Prophecy to be a matter of "speculation and discussion by [LDS] church members" and "not official [LDS] church doctrine."

*Feels queasy*

I'm absolutely serious when I say I really do fear for his life some days. Look at the insane vitriol from the right that people are sharing in here...some of these people are downright terrifying, they're literally one step away from violent action.

And on that note, in regards to all the right-wing stuff being shared in here-holy fuck, Republicans, you seem to really, genuinely have completely and totally lost your collective minds. Nugent, Dondero, and Limbaugh, you guys are nothing but offensive assholes and you need to stop talking.

And STOP already with this "handout supporters" BS. Just. Stop. You are wrong on that. Completely wrong. Hutchinson has it right, it's good to see she gets it. It's a shame that the GOP is likely not going to even try and listen to her, though.

:doh::scratch:

For the life of me, I just don't get it.......what is all the happiness about?

I'm telling you this because I am your friend and best friends always have to be honest with each other - All you got was four more years of unemployment, more people getting stoned on marijuana, the gradual disappearance of the traditional family unit, and most important - America continuing to be a laughing stock of the world, even though you live in one of the greatest countries on the planet.

1, actually, jobs are slowly coming back. Not to mention, when we have a massive finanacial crash like the kind we had in '08, it's going to take us a wee bit of time to recover from it. Anyone who thinks that we should've had this all sorted and solved by now is just flat out naive, quite frankly. We don't know what the next four years will bring, but if both sides work together and come up with an economic plan other than tax cuts for the rich "job creators", and focus on making sure your average everyday worker is getting good pay (and equal pay for equal work-which Obama supported with the Ledbetter act), and has some sense of job security, I think we'll be just fine.

2, people have been getting stoned on marijuana for years, this is nothing new. I'm not into doing that stuff, but of all the drugs out there it's certainly not the worst-it sure as hell isn't any worse than alcohol or smoking, and yet that stuff's legal! And it's stupid to throw people in jail over it when we've got murderers and rapists and armed robbers and that-let them take the potheads' spot in jail instead.

3, there is no such thing as a "traditional family", and anyone who believes that is, again, living in a fantasy world. Families of all kinds have been around for centuries. Gay couples should be allowed to be married and create families of their own. Their families are going to be about as good or bad as straight people's have been for years (heck, as Irvine's noted, some studies have shown their families sometimes do better in that regard) and them marrying will not bring the downfall of society. Trust me, Iowa is still standing and doing just fine after three years of letting gay people marry here. Enough with the paranoid, outdated, "family values" crap, conservatives-it's not working anymore. I was proud of Obama coming out in support of gay marriage, and I hope he and his administration can do what's within their power to continue to get the ball rolling on that topic. A country whose leaders recognize ALL citizens as equal is a country that will be stable and able to handle things better, because it's not spending its time bogged down in inane decisions over people's personal love lives.

4, so...how do you explain that so many people from other parts of the world were HAPPY to see Obama win? How do you explain why respect has gone back up for us in most areas of the world since Obama took office? We finally have a president again who actually seems to know what's going on beyond U.S. borders.

I grant that we've still got a lot of issues in the Middle East to work out, but that would be happening no matter who was in office because that area of the world is a clusterfuck (on BOTH ends) and it's going to take a miracle for anything to even begin to get settled there.

And as for the "greatest country" stuff-I certainly love it here and I think it's a wonderful place to live, but sometimes other people think differently :shrug:. That's life.

By the way, I'm still scratching my head over Obama's Nobel peace prize that he won four years ago.......exactly what did he do to deserve it?

I have no doubt that I'll be getting criticism for this post - but that's what friends (and open discussion) are for........:hug:

Hey, some of those on the left didn't think he deserved it, either-too premature, basically. Me, I have no real opinion on that topic one way or another. I often forget he even won it.

Hopefully this post answered your questions well enough :) :hug:.

*Feels queasy*

I'm absolutely serious when I say I really do fear for his life some days. Look at the insane vitriol from the right that people are sharing in here...some of these people are downright terrifying, they're literally one step away from violent action.

ML :hug: I'm absolutely with you! I've pretty much been praying for protection for him & his family since he started running for President. I did so for Hillary as well. It's just too unacceptable (his election) for some (too many) people.

and sometimes remember to whitelight them as well

Stay classy Central Valley lady.

A Turlock woman who used a racial slur to describe President Barack Obama on Facebook and wrote "maybe he will get assassinated" is being investigated by the United States Secret Service.

The post by Denise Helms, which has since been removed, went up right after the president won his second term Tuesday night. But she doesn't plan to apologize.

"I didn't think it would be that big of a deal," Helms told FOX 40 Sacramento.

"The assassination part is kind of harsh. I'm not saying I'd go do that or anything like that, by any means, but if it was to happen I don't think I'd care one bit. … It's not something I would be upset about."

The Secret Service said all threats or perceived threats are taken seriously and investigated, but declined further comment.

"I don't understand what I did wrong," Helms said. "I didn't say, 'Hey, someone go do this.' "

Helms also said that, despite using a racial slur, she doesn't consider herself racist.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...tigates-womans-facebook-post-about-obama.html

"I didn't think it would be that big of a deal," Helms told FOX 40 Sacramento.

Gee, yeah, who'd have thunk daring to make any sort of "joke" about assassinating the leader of our entire nation would cause ANY sort of controversy whatsoever?

"The assassination part is kind of harsh. I'm not saying I'd go do that or anything like that, by any means, but if it was to happen I don't think I'd care one bit. … It's not something I would be upset about."

*Blinks*

Wow. Lady, the word "dumbass" doesn't even begin to describe you. I may have disagreed vehmently with Bush when he was in office, but I sure as hell wasn't hoping for him to be assassinated, and wouldn't be happy if he actually had been, either. I generally try not to wish death upon our presidents.

Helms also said that, despite using a racial slur, she doesn't consider herself racist.

I love it when bigots say this. The contradiction goes right over their heads.

I think I lost a couple of "friends" on Twitter and Facebook because I admitted I voted for Obama. Could've been other reasons, but the timing to suspicious.

Hmph. Whatever.

Gee, yeah, who'd have thunk daring to make any sort of "joke" about assassinating the leader of our entire nation would cause ANY sort of controversy whatsoever?

Oh, certainly not.........

.... since he's only the President that has gotten the
most death threats of any Modern President!

If not getting close to, tying, or
surpassing President Lincoln "record, thats all!!!

Nothing to see here, folks . Move along.....

:gah::gah::gah: *head on desk*

I love the smell of idiot racists and homophobes exposing their sheer vileness on the internet for all the world (including their current/future employers) to see.

This is the one thought keeping me from crying while reading articles pointing out the disgusting, shameful things people have been posting on Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook this week. Just completely appalling and depressing.

Welcome to the internet; that shit's permanent.

:wave:

Very well said, cori. Thanks for that reminder!

it's astonishing how maybe in the fevered hate of that moment that the posters would forget how permanent that stuff is! Or plain stupid.

As long as people like that are still either stupid or fevered more of them will come up as yellow, orange or red-flagged and be checked out

I love the smell of idiot racists and homophobes exposing their sheer vileness on the internet for all the world (including their current/future employers) to see.

This is the one thought keeping me from crying while reading articles pointing out the disgusting, shameful things people have been posting on Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook this week. Just completely appalling and depressing.

Welcome to the internet; that shit's permanent.

:wave:

Well unless of course their views mesh just perfectly with the current/future employer. There'd be at least a few I suppose.

Can't wait Obama to get this country back on track. His first four years were Bush's fault. Now it's all him. I need a job soon too. Sick of living off the government. Although i'm getting kinda lazy doing same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom