2012 US Presidential Election Superthread - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #421
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Matt Taibbi making sense again.

Election Day Is Finally Here: Tonight Is Going to Suck No Matter What | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone

Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #422
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
I'm ready for election night news coverage -- all stocked up on chocolate and vicodin.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #423
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 AM
I have dog training tonight and I'm the only non-Republican. I already told my dog we just have to suck it up and deal!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #424
Blue Crack Addict

On CNN now, there is a guy in a virtual senate chamber. Pretty good tackiness to start, let's hope it continues!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
On CNN now, there is a guy in a virtual senate chamber. Pretty good tackiness to start, let's hope it continues!
Just caught the end of it. Very weird. They also have the gimmick of lighting up the Empire State Building. And dancing Christmas lights at Faneuil Hall

When they had the hologram, was that Wolf Blitzer? I can't remember. He always seems to be on the verge of a meltdown, like he's being way too self contained and overcompensating. Now THAT would be entertaining.

Cool-Nashua NH made it onto CNN

Also, John King and Dana Bash got divorced and still have to work together on air. Awkward
Old 11-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #426
45:33

Local Time: 03:09 AM
So I just watched a video explaining the electoral college - much clearer picture now.

One more question - how is it possible to win the popular vote but lose the electoral college? Or vice versa?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #427
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04
One more question - how is it possible to win the popular vote but lose the electoral college? Or vice versa?
Basically by winning states by a large margin and losing states by a narrow margin.

The same way a football team might score the most total points in a season but not have the most wins.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #428
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You can win the popular vote but lose the electoral college because you won the popular vote emphatically in states that contributed to a minority of electoral college votes, and lost the popular vote narrowly in states that contributed to a majority of electoral college votes.

On a simple level, let's say there are just two states competing for 19 electoral college votes, one with 10 electoral college votes and one with 9. You win the latter state emphatically, say 3 million out of 5 million voters, but you lose the former state in a close battle of 6 million votes, say 2.9 million votes to 3.1 million.

So you get only 9 electoral college votes out of 19, but you won the populat vote 5.9 million to 5.1 million.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I have dog training tonight and I'm the only non-Republican. I already told my dog we just have to suck it up and deal!
maybe your dog can train them how to lick their wounds
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #430
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'll be on my own tonight and texting some people.

My parents will be in another place in the two-family house we live in. Guaranteed there will be a lot of shouting tonight - joyousness if Romney wins, swearing and outrage if Obama wins.

Just saw a CNN report on my iPhone. The economy is the most important issue for voters, which could hurt Obama. Some say he didn't do much or will make it worse if he wins.

I'm psyching myself out for Romney winning to deal with disappointment if it happens.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #431
Vocal parasite

Just catching up on the thread, and this comment struck me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
What's with the lines? I've never had to wait longer than 5 mins, and that's in a country where its compulsory to vote. Are there just very few polling places?
This has always confused me too. I voted recently in local council elections, which at least in Victoria consistently have less polling stations than state and federal elections. So if ever there's going to be a long queue, it's there, and I did indeed have my longest wait ever: a whopping six minutes! The very first time I voted in Australia, at a Queensland state election, there was literally no queue at all.

I can understand though why there is a huge rush and massive queues at lunch and after 5pm in US elections, which just makes me wonder why on earth the US votes on a Tuesday rather than on a Saturday like we do in Australia and New Zealand. I'm sure somebody's once told me some arcane historical reason for it, but if they have, I've forgotten it.

Oh, and I'm surprised to read of some polling stations not being very obviously located. Here, you can't bloody miss them because of all the people for the various parties lingering outside distributing how-to-vote cards (for our preferential voting system).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Crusader and I have remained friends and stayed in contact for awhile, and now chat ever so often. He said it just got in his way of his job and sanity, he thought the childishness of the posters even those that agreed with him rubbed him the wrong way and said it felt very retrogressive...
It's good to know that he had other priorities, and didn't feel intimidated in anyway. Tell him a lot of us in FYM say hi!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #433
Blue Crack Addict

polls have closed in 6 states and Obama is behind
Romney leading in declared states
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #434
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:09 AM
I second the "say hi to Crusader" thing !

There were a lot of people at the polling place I went to, but no real line of sorts-people just kinda wandered in and got pointed to the right spots and it was all pretty quick and orderly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Oh, CNN .

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Anyone else having an Election Party?

We're serving Happy Meals, Chick-fil-A and 40 oz Super Big Gulps... all the nourishment liberals love to hate. I'd invite y'all but you'd never get past the front gate.
Hey, I'm a liberal and I'm eating Wendy's right now and drinking a Dr. Pepper. So nyah .

Seriously, no big parties planned here. Just hang out at home, flip back and forth between election coverage and whatever else might be on TV, and then go to bed at a decent hour tonight 'cause I have to be up kinda early-ish (for me, at least) for work tomorrow. Woohoo. I live the wild life, lemme tell ya.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #435
Blue Crack Distributor

Use spoiler tags, deep! Jeez!

I'm totally kidding.